New York-Long Island
Options

Engagement

Me and my FI got engaged in May and decided on a date.  The date we decided is 10/05/12.  We decided that because I will be finished with masters degree and since we have to pay for it, it will give us enough time to save.  Everytime someone ask me "oh when are you getting married" and when I tell the date they either give me a strange look or ask why such a long engagement.  I mentioned something to my FI and it doesn't bother him because he knows it will be best for us but sometimes it tends to hit a nerve.  He doesn't see a problem especially since this year we will be dating for 10 years.  Do many of you have a long engagement? 
Michelle Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement

• Options
    jordanamnjordanamn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My engagement will be for 13 months. We got engaged this past February and will be getting married this coming March. I think that long engagements are becoming more common, though....you seriously don't need to be stressing about school etc. while also preparing for a wedding, so it will be good for you to have time. I just graduated from a master's program too and I'm glad I don't have both at once!
  • Options
    stina11stina11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My engagement is only 20mos which is longer than some but I def don't see anything wrong with a long engagement. Its whats best for u and ur FI. I kno its a lil sensitive when the dating is a little longer but jus think a lot of couples date longer now before they decide to marry. So please don't let their comments effect u.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine has been long.. we are getting married 2 years after our engagement 9/5/10- got engaged 8/30/08.  People will always have their opinions but you have to do what is best for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll have been engaged for 18 mos. when I get married and it didn't seem that long at all. Like you guys, we wanted time to save up money and take our time planning. Don't let people get the better of you- chances are they haven't been through the whole wedding planning process yet and don't know how much it entails. Congrats & welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your support.  It really helped me alot.  Sometimes so things just come easy for others and don't really understand. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anytime! That's what we're here for! ;o)
  • Options
    shortkakeshortkake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't let it bother you. (easier said than done) Me and my FI got engaged the end of April and are getting married this October.  Everyone is asking why so soon. So you really can't win. We're actually getting married so soon because we plan on moving out of state next year, but haven't told anyone yet.Like I tell everyone, the next time they get married they can do it their way.
  • Options
    lm3898lm3898 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in a little over a year and have been engaged for 6 months already (total of 18 months).  I have to say, the last 6 months have FLOWN by!  Do what makes you stress the least, we are waiting til my FI finishes business school b/c we don't want to have to stress about that and the wedding at the same time.  Trust me, a long engagement still goes quickly!  Good luck w/ planning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should have watched Dr. Phil a week or 2 ago.That's  a long engagement.  Especially after 10 years.If you're questioning it maybe it's not meant to be?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    its not that im questioning it.  I just don't understand why people have to make such a big deal about others having a long engagement.  We made the decision because it was best for us, but some people just like to rush things. 
  • Options
    Diana&JoshDiana&Josh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If there is one thing that I have learned, you can't always care about what other people think.  I know that is easier said than done.  You both need to do what makes you happy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got engaged 10-31-07 and Im getting married April 10th 2010 so my engagement has also been long. I wouldnt worry about it .    I know it can be annoying when people ask all the time or its upseting when a couple gets engaged after you and married before you. We are paying for the wedding ourselves so we have to do what we have to do . Try not to let it bother you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Shortkake.  My FI & I got engaged this past june and we are getting married May 22, 2010.  We dated for two years and because we are in our early 30s  people always  asked what was taking us so long to get engaged and then after we did, they asked why we're getting married in 11 months.  Why so soon?  So you can't win either way, LOL.  You're gonna hear alot of opinions and remarks, just don't let them get to you.  Remember, u need to do what's best for the both of u and nobody else. Good luck w/ everything.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have very similiar plans. I am also doing my masters so FI and I have a long engagement as well as the fact we are paying for it ourselves. My FI and I got engaged in March and are planing on getting married in May of 2012. No biggie to me. It gives me more time for all my diy nonsense!
    proving the choas theory one day at a time http://emtboyandhislove.weebly.com/ Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DO NOT let anyone give you a hard time about how long your engagement is! I am going to be engaged 13 months before my wedding and to be honest, I wish we would have decided on a later date because we could save more MONEY :) Its your day, dont let anyones hogwash opinion bother you...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards