Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Self-Catering

So, I volunteered to do the catering for my SILs wedding.  I'm qualified (food safety, and I can actually cook ;) ) and I have the experience (both restaurant and events), so none of THAT is an issue.

I'm just looking for ideas! I'll have access to a fair sized large catering-equipped kitchen.  Both of them are fairly easy-to-please people, and the wedding will be June in the UK (so the weather will be touch-and-go).  It'll be buffet style food.

Re: Self-Catering

• So your SIL and her FI don't care what you serve?  They have no preference for food?  I suggest you talk to them about what they like and don't like as well as any food allergies/restrictions they or any of their guests (that they know of) may have.

• So your SIL and her FI don't care what you serve?  They have no preference for food?  I suggest you talk to them about what they like and don't like as well as any food allergies/restrictions they or any of their guests (that they know of) may have.
    this.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    There will be a couple of vegetarians there (I think three, total?) and one person who's a celiac.

They don't know what they want - my brief was "easy, tasty food, doesn't need to be fancy".  They want to see what I can come up with and stuff can be tweaked from there :)
  • so what are your specialties?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    so what are your specialties?
    This and how formal is their wedding?  Because you certainly don't want to be serving tacos or chicken wings if they are having a formal wedding.

• How many people are you cooking for?
  • lyndausvi said:
    so what are your specialties?
    This and how formal is their wedding?  Because you certainly don't want to be serving tacos or chicken wings if they are having a formal wedding.
    Jeez, I am crap at asking coherent questions :lol: 

It's fairly relaxed, it'll be in a village hall :)

I make a really good coq-au-vin, anything roasted, soups, stews, gratins. Literally, anything I put my mind to, I can make.
  • How many people are you cooking for?
    Approx. 80 - I will have help on the day! There will be approx. 20 kids :)
  • Will you have help leading up? 80 people is a lot. I used to work in catering. How many people are you used to cooking for? The most I've cooked for is 40 and that was insane. It took 3 days of prep and 4 hours in the kitchen the day of to do the finish cooking and that was with 3 sous-chefs helping out with the day of stuff like salads and pasta. 

Are you planning on attending the wedding? I'm not sure that will be entirely possible if you have to be responsible for overseeing food the day of.
  • Who will be helping you?  I hope it isn't family members.  The couple needs to hire some staff to serve and put out the food the day of because I think you would rather attend the wedding, then work it.

• Things to think about if you do the catering:

How much time will you have to do the cooking and serve the food? Also, will it be served buffet-style or at the tables?  If buffet-style, will you have the space you need to serve it at the correct temperatures? If you are attending as a guest, will you have space to store the food before you cook it while at the ceremony?

• I vote for one dish to be pasta but don't put sauce on it. Rigatoni is always a nice & easy thing to make. Provide 2 or 3 sauce options. You can do one sauce with meat and one meatless sauce. This way you have both the vegetarian and meat eating guests covered. Also pasta is always an easy thing to serve to kids should there be any. Not sure what to provide for the guest with the gluten issue. Since it's just one guest, can your SIL reach out to that person & ask them if it's ok to give you their info so that way you can touch base with that person to discuss food options that they can & would enjoy eating?
  • Are they giving you a hotdog budget or are they giving you a steak budget to work with?  That's the first question, second - do they recognize you likely won't be able to attend the ceremony?  Third - are they getting you any help?  While 80 is not a lot by catering standards, it's still a lot of work and last minute prep time.  That said - I'd choose something to make your life simple so you can just leave it in the warmer or fridge while you go to the ceremony...

Pulled pork or beef  or baked chicken breast in wild rice

Vegan Lasagna

Corn or green beans

Mashed potatoes

Fruit tray

Tossed Salad w/ dressings on side

Cheese tray

• How about having a soup bar?  Soup is actually better if you prepare it in advance and heat it on the day; it lets the flavors deepen.  You could have three or four different soups for people to choose from, plus rolls, salads, wraps, crackers and cheese, etc.  This is probably a better lunch choice than dinner though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards