New York-Long Island

Tax on Photographer Fee?

Hi Guys, I'm looking into photographers for my October 2010 wedding and after negotiating prices a little, one has offered a discount, but has said they will still have to charge NY state tax as well. I'm wondering if any of you have found this to be true, becu because ase it seems a little suspicious that the tax never came up during any previous conversations or on the price sheet until they offered a discount. Please let me know so I can tell if the discount was just for show (since the tax is essentially the same % as the discount). TIA!

Re: Tax on Photographer Fee?

• edited December 2011
    Tax is standard on just about everything except musicians.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • edited December 2011
    Tax is normal.
  • edited December 2011
    There's just no avoiding that tax. Sorry. =\
  • stina11stina11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were charged tax on our photog and videographer. Tax is on everything but the DJ.
  • edited December 2011
    It sucks about the tax! But yes, everyone but the DJ...if you're getting a finished product at the end, we gotta pay tax:(
  • Diana&JoshDiana&Josh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup, tax is normal!
  • edited December 2011
    One other thing doesn't get taxed- BUSES! Just found that out when I booked Camelot for our party bus! Whoo hoo for no tax!! Limos still get a tax but since he threw our limo for pick up after the reception in for free, we got charged no tax at all!
  • lex22109lex22109 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was told if you live out side of NY State and they are mailing your finished product over state lines then there is no tax.
  • edited December 2011
    I`m a little late in responding to this but i`m surprised no one suggested negociating on the tax! Yes everythingn but music has tax but you can always bargain that with the vendors. We saved the 400$ tax by paying cash to the photographer. That's also how i saved on my dress and what i plan on doing for all vendors. Mind you, you need to have that money handy but you can save several hundreds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards