Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Guests inviting Guests

Hello ladies! I need some advice and/or a good old tongue-lashing from you wise folks.

I'm having one of those age-old wedding dilemmas, but with a twist. A couple of the groom's parent's guests took it upon themselves to invite some extra family members along to the wedding, without asking.

One guest invited her husband and son. Now, don't jump all over me yet; the groom's parents aren't especially etiquette-minded, and for some reason they didn't tell us that this woman was married.They just put her on their guest list alone, without comment on her marital status. My fiance and I have never even met this woman, so we didn't know she was married; we just figured she was single, so we invited her alone. Neither of us mind that she wants to bring her husband. I feel badly enough about our inadvertent etiquette gaff. BUT, we don't know how to tell her that she can bring the over-looked husband, but not their kid. (Afterall, as previously stated, my fiance and I have never met this woman. We weren't particularly thrilled to have to invite strangers at all, let alone the second generation of strangers...) Any ideas on how to let her, and the over-looked husband, down gently about their kid?

The next guest-issue is weirder and trickier. The groom's mom invited her cousin, J, and his wife, K. Apparently, these are the folks who planned and officiated the groom's parents' wedding. But once again, these are two people who my fiance and I have never met. The groom didn't even recognize their name when we were addressing envelopes (which we addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. J[name] and K[name] [Last name]"). We weren't exactly crossing our fingers that they were going to attend, anyway.

Not only are they going to attend, they RSVP'd themselves, their son, S, and K's elderly mother.

Yes, we have guests who apparently think it's appropriate to bring their elderly mother to the wedding of two people that neither of them have never met.

I understand that parents might want to bring their child, but why on God's green earth would a grown adult want to bring their mother to a stranger's wedding? And it's not like the mother is the matriarch of the groom's side of the family, who will get to treat the event like a grand family reunion; she's the groom's mother's cousin's mother-in-law, from out of state. She doesn't know a single other person on the guest list. But her daughter and her husband are going to drag her across three states, to a city she has never been to, for the wedding of people that she has most likely never even heard of.

Obviously, I want to put my foot down on this one. My parents and I are paying for 100% of the wedding. This is not a reasonable request, and I feel no obligation to grant it. So I told the groom's parents, gently but firmly, that we would love to have his cousin and his wife, and the other guest and her forgotten husband, but that we do not have the extra space for either of the kids, or mother-in-law. Our venue is tight, and we don't have room for extra seats. Period.

I have told them this personally, I have told them this again through email (because they apparently it didn't make an impression the first time?), and my mother has told them this over the phone when they called her to beg for the extra seats. They just keep saying that J and K mean so much to them, and it will be so difficult to tell them they can't bring their family members, and to let them know once we get a final headcount whether or not we can squeeze in another two or three.

How can I make myself abundantly clear that your guests don't just get to bring whoever the hell they want to my wedding just because you don't want to have to tell them no, without sounding like bridezilla and/or stepping on my almost in-laws' toes?

Re: Guests inviting Guests

• Options
    Thanks, ladies.

I personally like the idea of leap-frogging my future in-laws, but I know if I do that, it will get back to them and they'll get mad/offended that we uninvited the uninvited guests (especially without their approval). Getting the future in-laws to come to terms with a limited occupancy number is going to have to go hand-in-hand with them making the call themselves. :/
  • Options

Thanks, ladies.

I personally like the idea of leap-frogging my future in-laws, but I know if I do that, it will get back to them and they'll get mad/offended that we uninvited the uninvited guests (especially without their approval). Getting the future in-laws to come to terms with a limited occupancy number is going to have to go hand-in-hand with them making the call themselves. :/

Jen4948 said:

Thanks, ladies.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can count on them to make that call. Your FMIL already thinks she can invite anyone she wants because for her it's a family reunion. Someone with that mindset is not someone I think you can trust to admit that she was wrong, let alone make the call herself. I think your FI will have to tell her, "Either you make the call or we will." You'll also have to be prepared to turn away at the door uninvited guests who were brought by invited guests unless you're able and willing to accommodate them.
    Yep. And FI needs to be more involved in talking to his parents.
  • Options
    Aint that the truth? I was mad enough when I discovered that J and K were invited because they were the FMIL's cousins. I had to cut a few of my cousins to accommodate a crowd of people she hasn't even spoken to in 5+ years.

Ahh, weddings. Don't they bring out the best in people?
  • Options
    Good news- you don't have to do anything. This is your Fi's job to manage his parents. They certainly have a cheek to call around until they get the answer they want. Fi needs to say "Mum, we have invited your friends but their mother and respective children are not invited. If they come on the day, they will have no seat, no meal, and will be asked to leave. They will be made aware that you knew this but decided to not pass along the information. It will be horribly embarrassing for you so I suggest you clarify the situation snd admit your mistake now". People like this will keep pestering. Your Fi needs to set boundaries now.
    This!  Do this!
  • Options
    Your FI needs to speak up.   NOW.

If being nice doesn't work, your FI is going to have to be rather abrupt: "Mom, your or I need to make the call to tell these people that they weren't invited NOW.   Would you rather deal with this now or have egg on your face on my wedding day??"

• Options
    Aint that the truth? I was mad enough when I discovered that J and K were invited because they were the FMIL's cousins. I had to cut a few of my cousins to accommodate a crowd of people she hasn't even spoken to in 5+ years.

Ahh, weddings. Don't they bring out the best in people?
    Well, you didn't have to cut your cousins out; you chose to. Did your FI look over her list at all and question any of the names that he didn't recognize? Or did you just take her list and start addressing invitations, no questions asked, until the RSVPs with randoms inviting randoms started coming back? It sounds like a lot of this could have been prevented.
  • Options
    I agree that FI needs to step in NOW and tell FMIL she either needs to contact these people and clarify the invite or he will. I would be sure to let her know that any uninvited guest that shows up will not be seated and turned away at the door. 

Since your parents are hosting, if they are comfortable, they could contact these guests. But ultimately it falls to your FI since it's his family. 
  • Options
    It's mind boggling that these people are so important to your FIL's but have never met their now adult son! 

Do not mention to FMIL that this is a venue thing.  She will demand they not be excluded and take the place of the no's.  I would avoid involving your parents in this.  It is not their battle, and you do not need your FIL's being angry at your parents.  You should also avoid contacting these guests for the same reason. Your FI needs to be firm with his parents and give them the chance to clarify this or that he will. Your FI can even say "Mom, do you know how unfair it was for you to invite your cousins I've never met, when FI made cuts to her guest list to accommodate our family.  Then, you want to accommodate people who were not invited when you are not the ones paying for it.  You were given a number of guests to invite, and it is not okay for these guests to bring more people.  You have until Thursday to correct this, or I will."

I could also see this turning into one of those scenarios where they RSVP for more than invited, then ALL no show...

• Options
    I am continuously searching online for ideas that can facilitate me. Well I really liked reading it. This post offered by you is very practical for correct planning. Thank you!
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.

Your guest list. Once it's in your hands and the invites were sent out, you are now in control of it. You can, and should, contact those guests and express the concern over venue capacity, etc. Your FILs aren't getting it, or just refuse to. They're also not paying for it, so again, you are in full right to contact your guests directly.

I also think your FI should be dealing with it, but I can understand that he may not do so as directly. Sometimes, in order to not be in debt over one day, you have to put your foot down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Aaaaaaaaand, that's it. All that stress over something that we now just shake our heads and roll our eyes over.
    Well did their gift at least cover their meals?  ;)

• Options
    LtPowers said:
    Aaaaaaaaand, that's it. All that stress over something that we now just shake our heads and roll our eyes over.
    Well did their gift at least cover their meals?  ;)

Curious - what does that have to do with anything?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards