Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to do a Family-Only Wedding

Hello! I need advice..
My fiancé and I are having a family only wedding. Neither of us have never wanted a large wedding. We both get really nervous and embarrassed in front of people and get overwhelmed just at the idea of having a large wedding. So we've just decided to have only our immediate family plus grandparents. (About 18-20 people)
Any suggestions on the following:

1. What do we write on the wedding announcements that we send after the wedding?
3. What are some low key things we can do during our "reception" time to make the time feel special? (slide show, etc?)
4. Do we still do a wedding website? 
5. Should we do a bigger wedding favor? Any ideas?

Re: How to do a Family-Only Wedding

• Options
    Hello! I need advice..
    My fiancé and I are having a family only wedding. Neither of us have never wanted a large wedding. We both get really nervous and embarrassed in front of people and get overwhelmed just at the idea of having a large wedding. So we've just decided to have only our immediate family plus grandparents. (About 18-20 people)

1. What do we write on the wedding announcements that we send after the wedding?

Couple's Names
    have the honor of announcing their marriage
    on Date
    in Place

3. What are some low key things we can do during our "reception" time to make the time feel special? (slide show, etc?)

Did you forget to type a number 2 or just get off kilter in the numbering? Anyway, slide shows are terrible and boring and should never happen any time ever. Only slightly acceptable if they are silent and looping in the background, but do not sit people down and force them to watch. Play some music (you don't need a dance floor) for background ambiance and let people chat and mingle. Good food is way more important than planning crappy activities.

Always optional.

Also always optional. Edible trumps any other trinkets every time. We did home bottled sparkling grape juice (would've been wine b/c one of my mom's uncles made it, but we had to change our reception to the church and no alcohol was allowed) and a buffet of retro candy.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Small weddings like you describe were the normal weddings, 100 years ago.

It is not an honor to announce your own marriage.  This is the wording for a marriage announcement:

Bride's Full Maiden Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date of ceremony
                                                                City, State

A reception is simply a time after the ceremony where the couple thanks their guests for coming to see them married, and offers them food and drink.  That is all.  Keep it simple.

I would not do a wedding website for an intimate family wedding.  It is overkill.

Favors are completely optional.  Chocolate is always a good idea.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Hello! I need advice..

They are worded like invitations but the "request the honor of your presence/pleasure of your company/at the marriage of" lines are replaced with "have the honor of announcing/the marriage of"  if someone other than yourselves, like your parents, are sending them. If you are sending them, then I'd use @CMGragain 's wording above.

I don't recommend slide shows unless you put them on a loop in the background.  I've never appreciated being treated like a captive audience for slide shows at weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, and other family get-togethers.  If you have plenty of good food and conversation, the time should feel special without being programmed.

If you want to.  It's up to you.  But if your wedding is that small, I'd probably not bother because there won't be that many people who'd need the information and you can email it or send it out by snail mail.

Also optional.  Edible favors, if you decide to do them, tend to go over the best with guests.

• Options
    Hello! I need advice..

Couple's Names
    have the honor of announcing their marriage
    on Date
    in Place

Did you forget to type a number 2 or just get off kilter in the numbering? Anyway, slide shows are terrible and boring and should never happen any time ever. Only slightly acceptable if they are silent and looping in the background, but do not sit people down and force them to watch. Play some music (you don't need a dance floor) for background ambiance and let people chat and mingle. Good food is way more important than planning crappy activities.

Always optional.

Also always optional. Edible trumps any other trinkets every time. We did home bottled sparkling grape juice (would've been wine b/c one of my mom's uncles made it, but we had to change our reception to the church and no alcohol was allowed) and a buffet of retro candy.
    @artbyallie - they wouldn't even allow it unopened on the premises as the favor? 

• Options
    @MrsMack10612  lol, no, Baptist church. It's in the bylaws.
  • Options
    @MrsMack10612  lol, no, Baptist church. It's in the bylaws.
    That makes sense.  I had a suspicion that might have been the case.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Methodists don't allow it, either.  They are strict about alcohol and gambling, but they allow dancing, now.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Who are you sending announcements to? 

I plan on having the same size wedding, immediate family only (we don't have any grandparents living anymore). But my mom and dad are each one of five kids. I have 20 first cousins, some I'm close with and others I haven't seen in 25 years. I was thinking just aunts and uncles and a few friends, maybe the cousins who invited me to their weddings? 

Maybe I'll just have it printed in the paper, let my dad take a photo of it and post it on his facebook LOL! 
  • Options
    @Knottie1446252419, I don't understand your comment.  What is your question? 
    It is proper to print a marriage announcement in the newspaper.  It is also proper to personally mail marriage announcements to people who were not invited to your wedding.  It is not proper to post one on Facebook.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards