April 2016 Weddings

4 months away -- how's the planning going?

Dear April '16 Knotties,

There hasn't been any discussion for quite some time. We are now four months away from our wedding, where is everyone on their wedding planning?

As for me, the venue has been booked (Blue Ocean Event Center, Salisbury, MA), and we just booked photography. I plan to send out "Save the Date" this month. I've already brought some of the favors which are love birds salt and pepper shakers. I've been buying them in batches on Ebay.

Love birds is the theme and the colors are ivory, sage, and chocolate brown. The wedding date is Saturday, April 23rd. The ceremony will take place at a 11:00 AM followed by a brunch buffet reception.

I found a JCrew wedding dress, but just found a web site that sells the same dress (new) for almost half the price. Just have to decide if I want to take the chance to buy the dress (no return policy) without trying it on, or wait to go down to New York City to a JCrew store to try it on.

I found a wonderful artisan a couple days ago at a women's conference expo in Boston who will custom design my statement earrings. The JCrew gown is very simple and plan to wear statement earrings highligting the wedding colors.

The next priority is deciding on hiring a DJ and/or live muscians for the ceremony and reception. Also, we need to find a justice of the peace and hope to book by the end of January.

I would love to hear from my fellow April bride cohorts as we countdown to our wedding day!

Warmly, Lydia

Re: 4 months away -- how's the planning going?

• Hi Lydia! I'm getting married the day before you! :) 

That's such a cute idea for your favors! Pretty colors, too!! I think you should go to JCrew and try on the dress. Don't want to take any chances on a wedding dress! Maybe you can do a live musician for your ceremony, then a DJ for your reception? I think that'll work out beautifully. 

We have our venue booked. It's at a grand hotel. We actually booked it this past Valentine's Day!! We booked our photographer and DJ that month as well. We're hoping we can get a videographer, but so far we can't fit into our budget. :( We got our engagement pictures in June and our save-the-dates were sent out in late July. We have several people from out-of-state coming, that's why we wanted to send them out early. Ordered my dress in January. I'll have my first fitting in 2 months. Got my shoes, jewelry, and veil. My fiance's brother-in-law is going to be our officiant. Deciding on a cake topper soon. Our theme colors are cobalt blue, with touches of ice blue, yellow, and silver. Sunflowers included with touches of butterflies, hopefully. My 4 bridesmaids have cobalt blue dresses, and 3 junior bridesmaids have ice blue ones. I'm going to Michael's on Monday, because I want to do a DIY cardbox. So much affordable that way!

It's so crazy how fast time goes, isn't it? :)
  • Time is definitely flying! We got engaged in August, and we are getting married April 30th. We wanted a short engagement, and I was lucky enough to book all the vendors we wanted for the particular things... now we are starting to work on other things... invitations, favors, gifts for bridal party.

I just can't wait for my dress to come in! It should be here in February, and I can't wait to see it! My BM are wearing navy blue, and the flower girls are in blush pink. The guys are wearing grey tuxes. I just mailed Christmas cards from Shutterfly and included our save the date info. We mainly shared it with our out of town guests so they can book flights and hotels. And our moms mailed the shower invitations this past weekend, because our shower is next month. 

Before we know it... it will be April!
  • edited December 2015
    April 23 here too! We are doing navy, "barely there" blush, and gold for our colors.

Lydia Ann Love the idea of a brunch reception You'll have to update us on how it goes! Would also LOVE to see the earrings! 

@SapphireRose84I'm with you on the videographer. We really want one, but it's looking like it just won't work with our budget. 

We have a lot done, but coming up on the new year I'm starting to feel the frenzy! We have both venues plus rentals booked, DJ and ceremony musicians booked, cake ordered, dress is here and my fittings start in January, I've got my shoes and jewelry ready to go, bridesmaids dresses ordered, took engagement photos in June and STDs went out in late September, invites are designed but not ordered, hotel blocks are done, honeymoon is booked, menu is finalized, hair and makeup appointments are scheduled for me and WP, minister is booked, premarital counseling is complete, and florist is booked. Whew! 

We're working on our bar options (really, just deciding what our signature cocktails will be), and I'm trying to figure out centerpieces. That's the only thing we're DIYing, so I'm a bit anxious on that! The men still need to order their tuxes, and we need to order our invites. I also need to pick a date for bridal portraits, but I have to take a day off work because my photographer won't do bridals on weekends -- only weddings! 

Time is flying! After the holidays we'll be nearing double digits! Happy planning, everyone! :) 

ETF: Typo
  • Everyone's wedding sounds so lovely!

To GlfGrl, I got engaged in August as well, August 2nd to be exact.

I will certainly update you guys on how the brunch reception works out. The reason for a morning ceremony and afternoon brunch reception is because Larry and I are an older couple (64 and 62 years old respectively), and mainly because I have a 93 year old mother whose health is fragile and will not be able to hold up for a late evening wedding celebration.

Since we started dating and now that we co-hebetate, we always go to brunch on the weekends. So that a brunch reception seem like a natural for us. Also, a brunch reception is very cost effective as compared to a plated dinner reception.

I recently read that brunch receptions and morning ceremonies are becoming a trend. Most likely because it's less expensive than a Saturday night reception. But if I were 40 years younger I would definitely would want a Saturday night reception.

To SapphireRose, I think I'll take your suggestion and go down to NYC and try on the JCrew gown -- thanks.

I love everyone's colors, like the navy and blush pink; navy, "barely there" blush and gold; and cobalt blue, a touch of ice blue, yellow and silver. And I love sunflowers!

Regarding my earrings, it will take about two months to produce and I plan to order the earrings mid to late January. But I will be sure to post a pic of the earrings when they are done.

I hope we can keep in touch between now and our weddings. And it would be fun to have a reunion at the end of May 2016 and post a few wedding pictures and share our wedding day experience.

Take care everyone, and have a wonderful holiday season and a Happy New Year!

Warmly, Lydia
  • Greetings ladies -

Can you believe we are just a few months away from our big day!!!
    My wedding will be low-key, so we have the venue, dress, cake, photography booked!! Re: videography (<--almost booked. Need to send in contract!).

We have a friend or two we are thinking of asking to be the DJ, and I am leading towards DIY bouquets. We have a relative that will be decorating our hall and have to work on wedding favors and the programs next.

I am verrrryyy excited but a little anxious! Still a lot to do, but we are almost there!!!!

~ K

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards