Not Engaged Yet
Options

Chicago G2G Check-In

It's been a while since we've talked about the G2G. Last I heard we were planning on the weekend of April 9-10. Who is still planning on attending this? If this is truly happening, I'm going to start booking my flights and hotels and such. Who's ready to sign on for this?

Who's still on the fence?

Re: Chicago G2G Check-In

• Options
    Ok in all seriousness, I do want to come even if I am a little scurred to meet you guys. 

I wouldn't be able to fly out of the Dirrty until 6:30 or later on Friday and I'd have to be back at a reasonable hour on Sunday. 

Are you guys planning a long weekend? Any other things I should know?

• Options
    I'm sorry...I've been MIA today.  Work has been a zoo.  

I am definitely in.  I cannot WAIT to meet more of you in person.  I'm going to be the size of a house by then but whatever.  :)  I'm game for Friday night festivities as well as Saturday day/night festivities.  I'd probably have to head back on Sunday around noon-ish or so but my schedule will largely revolve around those of you flying in since I'm either driving or taking the train down (there is a train from Milwaukee to Chicago that H takes every other day for work anyway).  I think we should get an idea for who is going then we can get an idea for what everyone would like to do.  I also talked to @suzie211 and she might be able to join us as well.  :)  
  • Options
    Waahhh I wish I could go but this is definitely the same weekend as our Asheville trip!!!!!!!

• Options
    That's BFs birthday weekend so I won't be attending, but next time any of you are in NYC we MUST (!!!!!) g2g cause I wanna meet ya :smiley:
  • Options
    Flights from Albany to Chicago are STUPID expensive.  :s

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @GoldenPenguin - Flights aren't too bad out of Newark and rumor has it, I'm an awesome travel buddy. #justsayin

• Options
    @TwoDimes I'm not sure. I'm actually hoping to get specifics on our trip tonight. I know we were thinking of going from April 2-9ish or the following week (10th-16th) because we're trying to hit H's birthday and my friend's H's birthday.

• Options

I can still go that 8-10 weekend. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options

Considering my tickets will also be wicked expensive, I'm definitely planning to be there longer than just the weekend. I'll probably just wander around Chicago aimlessly for a couple extra days, either on the front or back end. If anyone is up for some extra hanging out/exploring, I'd love a buddy!

I'm not sure if there's anything else to note. I'd love it if someone who knows something about Chicago could help organize and come up with an idea of what area we should try and get hotel rooms in.

@GoldenPenguin - Damn, you're right! My plane tickets look like they'd cost about the same as yours. DUMB!

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Try to stay near Navy Pier!!!

ETA: That is the extent of my knowledge of Chicago. The end.

• Options
    I'm happy to help put things together with hotel and activity ideas with anyone else that has Chicago experience (@twodimes maybe? Not trying to volunteer you though, I'm happy to research things on my own and present the group with options).  I think we had way more people that thought they were coming though...

• Options
    I've done Chicago once before, for a conference in March, and missed several of the big things, like Navy Pier. @AlPacina, I may come in on Thursday and hang out if you're able to do that. 

I got to meet @minskat30 that week. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    I should be good as long as my niece doesn't arrive early.

@goldenpenguin 2nd the idea you should fly out of Newark. Then we can take up a whole row and be those people on the plane. @swazzle

• Options
    @audrewuh - That would be awesome to have an extra day in the city and not be alone! I would love some company!

• Options
    That's alright @TwoDimes - I'm happy to lay out a few options for the group.  :)  For the record, I love Navy Pier too.  
  • Options

Pretty sure I could swing this, since I haven't used any personal days yet. And flights are always cheap from BOS to Chicago. I figure more people will chime in tomorrow, so I'll check back and see where this goes. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hi :) I tripped over this thread. Not gonna crash your party but as a Chicago resident I can help give ideas!
    1) Navy Pier is a tourist trap- don't do it unless you're boarding a boat (really fun) or going to a Shakespeare play (also really cool). 
    2) River North has the highest density of great restaurants and fun bars while being in close proximity to other cultural stuff (museums, architecture tours) and shopping (Michigan Ave is like a giant mall, but Oak Street/Rush Street is where the really high end and other fun boutique stores are). So I'd recommend staying in River North. 
    3) Do a river architecture cruise- best way to see the city and learn about it.
    4) The weather should be pretty nice- check out Millennium Park and Grant Park and maybe there will be some free events taking place. 
    5) The Cubs aren't in town but the White Sox are playing if you like baseball.
    6) While the Museum of Contemporary Art can be fun and even a bit wacky, the Art Institute, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Planetarium are all in close proximity to each other, with the latter three all being on "Museum Campus" which is a great park area.
    7) Randolph Street in West Loop is considered a great "restaurant row".
    8) To get off the beaten tourist path, wander up to Wicker Park/Bucktown for boutique shopping.
    9) Lincoln Park is a very nice area and has a free zoo and conservatory.
    10) Comedy- Zanies and Second City are both in Old Town (also a really nice area) and those are fun places. 

Hope this helps! 
    P.S. Don't forget the deep dish pizza or have a Chicago-style hotdog. 

Edit: words

• Options
    Thanks @thisismynickname !  I like your suggestions a lot and really appreciate the fact that you took the time out to type them up for us!  As a prior fellow-Chicago citizen I agree that Navy Pier is a tourist trap but for some reason I still love it.  The Architectural Cruise is one of my favorite activities in Chicago too!  I would make it a point to go every year in the summer and I couldn't agree more with that suggestion weather permitting.  Bucktown is also one of my favorite parts of the city...my H used to live right by The Violet Hour and Big Star.  ;)  Appreciate your help!
  • Options
    I mean...I could spend an entire hour making faces at myself in that Bean thing. I know it has a real name, but everyone knows what you mean when you say the bean!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards