Chit Chat

Acupuncture

JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited December 2015 in Chit Chat
Has anyone tried acupuncture?  If so, what did you go for and did it help?  I've had some tendinitis pain in my arm (as well as other pain ailments that come and go) and figured it couldn't hurt to try.  The person I saw today said it may take 3-5 sessions before I notice a difference.  I'm still a skeptic, so would love to hear of success stories!

Re: Acupuncture

• There are two different schools of thought in regards to acupuncture- eastern and western. Eastern would be traditional Chinese acupuncture which relates to acupuncture points along Meridians. Western involves finding points of muscle tension and inserting the needles there.

Most commonly used for pain relief, and usually in conjunction with other treatment methods. 

Research evidence is very mixed, but some people swear by it. If you go to a good, authorized practitioner, at the very least it won't harm you. 

Have you seen a physiotherapist for your tendinitis? 

Unless you find someone who specializes in traditional Chinese medicine, most practitioners of acupuncture are physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths and other related health professions, who may practice either western or eastern methods. 
  • Thanks @SP29.  I figure it can't really hurt to try it.  I have not seen a physiotherapist, but will keep it in mind.  I've had other pain in addition to the tendinitis, so I'm currently seeing other doctors in hopes of getting a diagnosis!
  • I have a friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis and she gets acupuncture for her pain management.  She swears by it!  She always says how much better she feels after a treatment.  She goes twice a month, I believe.
  • My grandfather swears by it. Not sure exactly what pain he has, if it's arthritis or just general aches from being 88 years old, but he says it really helps.

• Thanks ladies!  I'm glad to hear others swear by it.  I went again today and will go again in a few days. Hopefully I'll begin feeling the benefits.  I've got nothing to lose.  
  • I've had it from both my Physio and my massage therapist, who is also an Acupuncturist, so I've had it from both schools of thought.  I absolutely worked for me, but I don't do it often cos it skeeves me out.  I've had it done on my hip, and occasionally on torn muscles to relieve tension.  If you have questions, just let me know

• Thanks @WinstonsGirl!  I had my second session earlier in the week, and a day later I had no pain - first time in over a month!  I may not be a skeptic anymore.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards