Chit Chat

Nye wedding !?

Hi !! my fiancé and I just got engaged

Re: Nye wedding !?

• Congratulations!
    Are you asking if you should have a NYE wedding?  This year, or next year?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Congrats! If you have a NYE wedding, you need to go all out.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • congratulations.

I'm of the opinion if you are going to have a NYE wedding then you need to go big or go home.    

That said, I wouldn't be able to attend anyway because DH and I work every NYE.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I personally think it's unfair to your guests...my brother originally wanted an NYE wedding in Philly. Hotel rooms are double or triple what they normally are, so they decided to go with January 16 instead- this way more of their friends and family can afford to join them.
  • Congratulations! Personally, I wouldn't have or attend a NYE wedding mostly because FI and I are in public service and it's a rare occasion that we have major holidays off, especially at the same time. FI and I were invited to a NYE wedding this year but we aren't able to go because of cost. I agree with the go big or go home sentiments that others have expressed; your wedding will have a lot of expectation attached to it because of the nature of the holiday if you should choose to get married on NYE.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations!

I had to miss a very close cousin's NYE wedding. My husband was working and I had no intention of leaving teenagers home alone NYE, while I was out of state. 

If you decide to have a NYE wedding, check that your VIPs will be able to attend. As others have said, you'll need to go all out.

• I personally would enjoy a NYE wedding if it were local for me, and happened to be on a year that I hadn't already planned to visit family cross country.

I agree with the sentiments of others. Like all weddings, be a proper host, and be willing to accept that your decline rate may be higher.
  • I went to a NYE wedding a few years ago and it was a lot of fun and very elegant -- everyone was dressed their best, the venue was gorgeous, and there was a live band and champagne flowing. In my circle of friends, everyone kind of grumbles about making NYE plans so this wedding was a very pleasant invitation to receive. I think if you're going to do it, you have to make sure you do it up!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• congrats. 
    @lyndausvi love your dog. 
  • If you really want a NYE wedding, then I hope you have deep pockets.  The word "budget" should not be in your vocabulary, unless that budget is $50,000+.
    New Year's Eve is the most expensive night of the entire year to have a wedding, and it is also very inconvenient and expensive for OOT guests.
    Why not just choose a more convenient night for your wedding?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • So my opinion is probably a UO but I think you can do a low-key NYE wedding as long as you set your expectations ahead of time to 1. Not have an evening wedding and 2. To not expect many people from OOT to be able to make it because of other vacation plans.

Story time - my BFF had her wedding on NYE. The whole affair was somewhat rushed anyway (they planned everything in 3 months) and very low budget. The ceremony was at 1 in their family church with a short reception (I think it was around 2-3 hrs) in the fellowship hall. It was cake and punch style with heavy apps served buffet style, cake (obvs), non-alcoholic drinks, a chocolate fountain and other sweets, and music. The whole affair was over by 4 pm. I had plenty of time to go home, clean up a little, have dinner and change into something else to attend NYE parties that night.

The downside for her was this - it was almost entirely local direct family with very very few family from out of town attending, and it was only friends from in town who attended. Most people weren't able to travel and make the wedding because of the timing.

• I think a NYE wedding would be fun. If it involved a costly plane ticket along with expensive accommodations, I might skip if it you weren't a relative or best friend. 
  • labro said:
    So my opinion is probably a UO but I think you can do a low-key NYE wedding as long as you set your expectations ahead of time to 1. Not have an evening wedding and 2. To not expect many people from OOT to be able to make it because of other vacation plans.

Story time - my BFF had her wedding on NYE. The whole affair was somewhat rushed anyway (they planned everything in 3 months) and very low budget. The ceremony was at 1 in their family church with a short reception (I think it was around 2-3 hrs) in the fellowship hall. It was cake and punch style with heavy apps served buffet style, cake (obvs), non-alcoholic drinks, a chocolate fountain and other sweets, and music. The whole affair was over by 4 pm. I had plenty of time to go home, clean up a little, have dinner and change into something else to attend NYE parties that night.

The downside for her was this - it was almost entirely local direct family with very very few family from out of town attending, and it was only friends from in town who attended. Most people weren't able to travel and make the wedding because of the timing.
    I think that's the only way that this could possibly work.

BUT, next year, NYE is a Saturday.   This adds an extra layer of "weekendness" to what's already a popular party day.

I've been listening to New York radio but they're talking about a table for two Ruby Tuesday in Times Square to be $1700/PP for NYE this year.   I'm not saying that you need to spend that kind of money but I think having NYE on a Saturday means that most 9-5 ers have the day off (I don't this year) and businesses will be capitalizing on that Saturday night effect.    

And unless you want a low key NYE wedding that's over before 6 PM, your event needs to run until well after midnight.   Some local venues that host weddings also host NYE events so it may also be somewhat limiting.  Add to that issue that the time of year is a toss up for weather.   I'm already having to tell clients that overnight shipments are stuck in the middle of the country because of storms.   So you may encounter snow / ice / sleet as an issue as well.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards