Chit Chat

Powers out.

On the plus side, the generator is running so I have wifi (priorities), so nows a good time to double check my address list for any errors, and get them finalized to be sent for hand lettering.

And FI and I are going to finish folding the invites by candlelight, and maybe invite the neighbors for monopoly.

What do you guys do to kill time during an outage ?

Re: Powers out.

• DH and I play cards when the power goes out. We don't have a generator so we light a lantern and kill time.

• We do have a generator but we have to open the garage and turn it on as a pull start gas engine.   So it doesn't run overnight.   When we had no power for 5.5 days after Superstorm Sandy, we ran it long enough to take showers and keep the fridge going.   Then at night we'd power it up long enough to have dinner. 

In the  meantime, I'd watch movies on the laptop.   

DH and I had no power when we put our wedding favors together and we watched The Godfather. 
  • Not sure where you live but usually when the power is out here (Mass) that means it's time to shovel.  :/  Or play outside  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We have only lost our power here once.  It was only for an hour.  

As I'm sure Banana will remember, when I lived the islands I lost power almost everyday.   Some days it would only be for an hour or so.  4+ hours outages were fairly common.    

What we did depended on the time of day.    Day light -  if we were not working we would go to the beach or pool or read.    After-dark, normally to our local bar that had a generator and hang out with friends who didn't have a generator either.     

**note - we lived in a condo.  Our generator was just for water and sewage.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    We have only lost our power here once.  It was only for an hour.  

As I'm sure Banana will remember, when I lived the islands I lost power almost everyday.   Some days it would only be for an hour or so.  4+ hours outages were fairly common.    

What we did depended on the time of day.    Day light -  if we were not working we would go to the beach or pool or read.    After-dark, normally to our local bar that had a generator and hang out with friends who didn't have a generator either.     

I still quote your toilet flushing adage. 
  • banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    We have only lost our power here once.  It was only for an hour.  

I still quote your toilet flushing adage. 
    Nice!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 1. We eat all the ice cream and make sandwiches. 2. Listen to the battery powered radio that my parents bought us for our first Christmas. It takes 6 D batteries and lasts a long, long time. 3. Gather all the lanterns, flashlights and candles. 4. Make hot chocolate on the grill. 5. Play cards or board games.

We lost our power for 10 days, during a snow storm. That was five years ago. It was miserable. After that, we bought a generator and haven't had to use it, yet. I hope we never have to use it, but it's nice to know it's there.

Hope you get your power back soon.

• I was JUST thinking about the fact that our power has not gone out in years; I cannot even remember the last power outage we had. But when I was a kid, I always loved power outages - we would light a bunch of candles, make popcorn (thank god for gas stoves), and play board games. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The power went out on Christmas 2012 during the day for us. H and I sat on the patio reading. It was quite nice. Otherwise, we stay busy making sure the dogs aren't freaking out too much by the weather. And we play Quirkle.
  • The last time we lost power for a significant amount of time (i.e. more than a few minutes) was a few years ago. An EF 4 tornado hit our area in April of 2011 and caused major power outages on top of basically flattening an entire town. For us the outage lasted 6 days. Some people had no power for longer. Because it lasted so long we took lots of trips to Starbucks and other places that had free WiFi. I was about to graduate college, so I had tons of assignments to turn in. Plus, it seemed wrong to do fun power outage things while so many people were suffering without homes.

If the power goes out this winter, we'll be lighting candles and playing games. Snow storms are rare here, so if we end up getting one that seems like a much more appropriate time to play games, etc. :)

• Im in Michigan and ours was an ice storm. It was only out for like an hour though, but it was at around 11:30PM, and FI and I are off work for the next couple days so we didnt bother shoveling. We just folded some invitations, and confirmed our addresses until it came back on.

Our generator is super small. Like, one you would keep in your car trunk for emergencies. Its enough to run a small heater for about 5 hours, but I wouldnt be able to do the fridge or any big appliances. We mostly use it to charge our phones in case theres an emergency.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards