Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"Entertainment Potluck" bachelorette party...

classyduckclassyduck member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
A friend of mine's sister is getting married. Friend is MOH, and is thinking ahead to the bachelorette party (won't be till next year anyway). She started a facebook group to plan it with the wedding party and other close friends, and also as a way to notify people of preliminary invites (I guess kind of like a save the date).

Her plan is to have the party at a local hotel that has one of the bride's favorite restaurants/bars, and also a really awesome pool, etc. That is the part the bride knows about. But the second half of the party, which is supposed to be a bit of a surprise... is odd.

Background: MOH and Bride and their closest friends (several of whom are in bridal party) all grew up together on the same street. One of the things they used to do as kids was put on silly "shows" for their parents. It is a very fond memory for all of them.

So MOH thought it would be fun if guests coming to the party put together some kind of silly little skit (can be anything, lip-syncing, whatever) and we would all perform for the bride, the guest of honor. Some people are teaming up, some are going solo. The idea is just to create silliness, and I'm sure people will think of things that will make the bride laugh. I thought it was unconventional, but fine, kind of a cute idea.

Here's where the problem starts. She made it clear that this is a co-ed bachelorette party, and that SOs are welcome to attend. But she just messaged me complaining that someone wants to bring their SO, but their SO doesn't want to "perform." He's a little shy, I guess. MOH said to me that "she put her foot down" and said if he doesn't want to perform, he can't come. Apparently, MOH is *requiring* that everyone who attends does some kind of performance. I thought it was going to be something that was encouraged, but not required.

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm uncomfortable that it is a surprise. I know the bride, and I wonder how she would feel if she knew her sister was insisting that guests to her bachelorette party put on a show for her.

So, MOH has asked for constructive criticism... I'm not sure if I should say anything. To me this sort of feels like a "potluck", but instead of food, we are bringing the entertainment. I know a potluck isn't rude as long as it is clear from the beginning that is the nature of the party. So I did tell her that I didn't realize performing was required, and that I would make sure that is explicitly clear to all the guests.

Re: "Entertainment Potluck" bachelorette party...

• Options
    A friend of mine's sister is getting married. Friend is MOH, and is thinking ahead to the bachelorette party (won't be till next year anyway). She started a facebook group to plan it with the wedding party and other close friends, and also as a way to notify people of preliminary invites (I guess kind of like a save the date).

Her plan is to have the party at a local hotel that has one of the bride's favorite restaurants/bars, and also a really awesome pool, etc. That is the part the bride knows about. But the second half of the party, which is supposed to be a bit of a surprise... is odd.

Background: MOH and Bride and their closest friends (several of whom are in bridal party) all grew up together on the same street. One of the things they used to do as kids was put on silly "shows" for their parents. It is a very fond memory for all of them.

So MOH thought it would be fun if guests coming to the party put together some kind of silly little skit (can be anything, lip-syncing, whatever) and we would all perform for the bride, the guest of honor. Some people are teaming up, some are going solo. The idea is just to create silliness, and I'm sure people will think of things that will make the bride laugh. I thought it was unconventional, but fine, kind of a cute idea.

Here's where the problem starts. She made it clear that this is a co-ed bachelorette party, and that SOs are welcome to attend. But she just messaged me complaining that someone wants to bring their SO, but their SO doesn't want to "perform." He's a little shy, I guess. MOH said to me that "she put her foot down" and said if he doesn't want to perform, he can't come. Apparently, MOH is *requiring* that everyone who attends does some kind of performance. I thought it was going to be something that was encouraged, but not required.

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm uncomfortable that it is a surprise. I know the bride, and I wonder how she would feel if she knew her sister was insisting that guests to her bachelorette party put on a show for her.

So, MOH has asked for constructive criticism... I'm not sure if I should say anything. To me this sort of feels like a "potluck", but instead of food, we are bringing the entertainment. I know a potluck isn't rude as long as it is clear from the beginning that is the nature of the party. So I did tell her that I didn't realize performing was required, and that I would make sure that is explicitly clear to all the guests.

This sounds really awkward. I have fond memories of playing barbies with my childhood best friend and "fumbleia" with my siblings as a kid but can't see how that would be fun now.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Oh, hell no. I do not perform on command, and I would feel incredibly awkward doing this. My BFF from childhood and I used to take baths together, and we would have a blast. That does not mean it would be a blast to take a bath together today.

I would tell MOH that you LOVE the idea, but that some people are not natural performers and it may make some guests uncomfortable. It sounds like enough people are choosing to participate as-is, and telling people they can only come if they perform (in front of some people they may not even know) is rude. OR you can tell guests what's up, and then let MOH think everyone will perform, but once the party starts, tell her some people are not performing. I doubt the bride would allow MOH to kick people out once they are there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    And no, not everyone in attendance was "in on the joke" -- you make a good point. This could feel really cliquish.

I agree that it could be really awkward. I think she is trying to avoid it being awkward with the "misery loves company" logic?

I think part of the problem is that MOH really has no money, but she wants to do something special and thoughtful for her sister. So, this is something sentimental and fun that doesn't cost her anything. She's being really touchy about it... I sent her a FB message: "Oh... I didn't realize performing was a *requirement* to attend... the poll made it sound optional. I would make that explicitly clear. I have a feeling there are others who don't realize that." She reiterated that she STATED people had to perform if they want to come. I looked back... here is the post she is referencing:

"
    The question has come up about inviting boyfriends/husbands etc to which I have responded that if the gentleman friends are ok with performing and being honorary girlfriends/goofballs for a night then OF COURSE they can come."

To me, "if gentleman friends are ok with performing" doesn't sound like "everyone is required to perform".

Anyway, it remains that I think this is a bad idea to make required. If it were optional, then the people who are enthused about it will probably end up being really funny and doing something hilarious and that will probably diffuse any awkwardness that could result from forced performances.

She asked for constructive criticism, so I guess I'll tell her my thoughts.
  • Options
    pfffft. My comment: "However, since you asked for constructive criticism, I'd make sure you really want to make performing a requirement. I think guests would feel more comfortable if you made it optional." Simple, direct.

her response:
    "
    but can you see what a disaster it would be if some people are allowed to sit out? then others wont feel comfortable or want to do it. lord knows id rather not but i was trying to think of a cost effective and pertinent suprise for my sister so im overcoming my stage fright"

Um, disaster? Yikes, I have no idea why she's being so touchy about this. I think it would be a disaster if people felt like they had to do something and felt really awkward about it. Sigh, I'll try and explain it to her, but I think this is going to be a loosing battle. Oh well, not my party...

Maybe I should just show her this thread...
  • Options
    As a person who grew up doing similar goofy performances with other kids, and performed in dance recitals and musical theater up through highschool. . .

. . . I think this sounds a bit juvenile and definitely very awkward.

Just because I used to reenact musical numbers from Disney movies with my siblings and cousins as a child, doesn't mean I want to see them do that as adults at my bachlorette party.

People should never ever be forced into performing or public speaking in front of a group, especially a group of peers.  That can be it's own terrifying special kind of personal hell for someone.

Is the MOH going to physically eject ppl from the party if they refuse to perform?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    The first thing I thought when I read this thread was that if I was not one of the childhood friends I would feel weird, and wouldn't really "get it." I'd probably do it, because I enjoy performing in front of an audience, but that's just me. I also assumed this was optional. Why in the world would she make this a requirement? Good for her overcoming her stage fright for her own sister, but that's HER choice. She is basically taking that choice away from other people, which is not cool. Personally, I wouldn't care if I decided to perform and someone else decided not to. I would feel terrible (as a guest, not even as the planner) knowing that someone was FORCED to perform, or not be "allowed" to attend.

She really needs to take a step back and either make this second part optional, or just scrap this second part from the plan. It's not right to force anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with.

On another note, is only the second part of the bachelorette co-ed or is the entire part? I'm just curious about that part.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Eeek.  I get that she is trying to come up with a cost-effective activity for the party, but I'll be honest... I don't get why you (general you) need an entertainment portion for a bachelorette?  I've kind of never understood that.  We did one night in a hotel for mine, and we all had some drinks in the room, went to dinner, then hit a few bars for some silly dance-partying, then walked back to the hotel and ordered Dominos at 2am and passed out soon after.  No entertainment needed.  You guys have a built in bar and pool situation which will be awesome and I'm sure more than appreciated by the bride.

If she still wants to do something special, maybe just a performance by the bridesmaids (if all are willing), or think of some fun bachelorette games to play.  I think she's putting a lot of pressure on herself to make this ZOMG THE PERFECT PARTY EVER and is becoming defensive because she sees the holes in the plan.

• Options
    OMG, I think this idea is disastrous for so many reasons.

1) It's awkward for people who were not part of this friend-group- as PPs mentioned, comes across as clique-y.

2) It is HORRIBLE to require part guests to do anything, much less something that is legitimately the most common phobia in the world I think. If the "inner group" of friends is really so into the idea they should have no problem if they're the only ones who put on sketches.

3) Honestly this party sounds not fun to attend even if I was agreeable to the performing aspect- I get a second-hand embarrassment for people very easily and would be gritting my teeth the whole time watching people put on dumb skits that are probably not funny to the majority of the crowd and likely to be very inside-joke-y.

4) Why do we have to have formal "entertainment" at parties anyway- people are adults and can entertain themselves by just talking and drinking.

I think the best bet is to way scale back this whole "talent show" idea and have the childhood friends just do their own little sketch as a present for the bride and let that be that. It's nice that you're trying to be sensitive to MOH's feeling but I would have to speak up and say outright that it's rude to require guests to do something they aren't comfortable with.

• Options
    When you first posted, I assumed the B-party was a smaller group of family/friends who all grew up doing these skits, and I thought, "Ok, cute".

But now that you have clarified that there are people who were not part of this childhood group, as well as spouses, it got weird and as a guest I would not be OK with this.

When I was younger I had a friend who, along with her two sisters, was very involved in dance (me, not so much). But we all loved the spice girls. So my friend would choreograph, and we'd all pick a Spice Girl to be and lip sync and dance to the songs. Not that we're all friends anymore, but if we were, and it was JUST that group, and I'd had a few glasses of wine, despite hating public performing, I'd dance and lip sync the night away ;). But add in a bunch of other people I don't really know and people who don't share the same fondness for what we did as kids, or the Spice Girls, everything gets really awkward and I'm not participating, wine or not! 

I agree that I also don't see why there needs to be entertainment. You will all already be at a hotel, with dinner, bar and pool.... what more needs to happen? 
  • Options
    SP29 said:
    When you first posted, I assumed the B-party was a smaller group of family/friends who all grew up doing these skits, and I thought, "Ok, cute".

But now that you have clarified that there are people who were not part of this childhood group, as well as spouses, it got weird and as a guest I would not be OK with this.

When I was younger I had a friend who, along with her two sisters, was very involved in dance (me, not so much). But we all loved the spice girls. So my friend would choreograph, and we'd all pick a Spice Girl to be and lip sync and dance to the songs. Not that we're all friends anymore, but if we were, and it was JUST that group, and I'd had a few glasses of wine, despite hating public performing, I'd dance and lip sync the night away ;). But add in a bunch of other people I don't really know and people who don't share the same fondness for what we did as kids, or the Spice Girls, everything gets really awkward and I'm not participating, wine or not! 

I agree that I also don't see why there needs to be entertainment. You will all already be at a hotel, with dinner, bar and pool.... what more needs to happen? 
    We apparently had the same childhood.

If I was with ONLY my very very best girlfriends and we were having a silly, wine-filled girls night, I would possibly consider this - but more likely if it just happened that way, and wasn't a planned and choreographed stage performance.  Under no other circumstances would I come anywhere near this party.

• Options
    Have to agree with PPs. I think if this group of friends wanted to get together and do ONE skit or song or something then it could be cute and funny, but I wouldn't take it further than that. Have you to suggested that option to the MOH? Definitely don't force people into it. Not to mention that it will get old fast and not be entertaining for very long. And this is speaking as a former summer camp counselor who had no problem getting up and acting silly in front of a large group of people!
  • Options
    Just wanted to point out - even if the people who are super uncomfortable with this whole performance idea agree to do it, there is a good chance it will still be a disaster... If people are not really into doing it, it will be really evident in their performances, and it will come across as super awkward. You should tell MOH that it will probably be more of a disaster to watch forced performances than only to have people who want to perform, perform.

I stand by my idea that you should tell people the MOH wants everyone to participate, but that they will not be FORCED to do so once the party begins. I highly doubt MOH will throw a fit at the party if people refuse to perform, and if she does, SHE will be the one out of line.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SP29 said:

We apparently had the same childhood.

If I was with ONLY my very very best girlfriends and we were having a silly, wine-filled girls night, I would possibly consider this - but more likely if it just happened that way, and wasn't a planned and choreographed stage performance.  Under no other circumstances would I come anywhere near this party.
    One or both of you must be my younger sister. . .

WTF, why didn't you tell me you were getting married/are married?!  I had to find out on a bridal forum?!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited January 2016

Is the MOH going to physically eject ppl from the party if they refuse to perform?
    I think she's going to draw up a little "program" or something to pass out before the party. so... I guess she's going to rely on their commitment being on paper?

I highly doubt MOH will throw a fit at the party if people refuse to perform, and if she does, SHE will be the one out of line.
    Same as above... I think this will come to a head before the party because she's going to try and get committments from people so she can make up the program fliers.

I think she's putting a lot of pressure on herself to make this ZOMG THE PERFECT PARTY EVER and is becoming defensive because she sees the holes in the plan.
    You NAILED it.

I do have to say, she actually threw my bachelorette party and it was the best bachelorette party ever. My friends chipped in to get a limo for us all, and we went out to eat at an awesome local place, and then took the limo to the city and saw a nerdy star-trek themed burlesque show (The Wrack of Khan!). Booze, Boobs, and Star Trek. I was in heaven. By the way, my bachelorette was also co-ed-- in fact my (now) Husband even came to it! Which I was fine with, actually I really liked it. We all had a blast. I can't remember who asked, but I think this whole party that she is planning is all co-ed.

So, people who came with were joking with me "You really ought to get married more often because this is awesome" because the party was so great. So I don't know if she feels like there is a bar that has been set or something?

Man I really wish I could show her this thread. You all make such convincing arguments. But I could sense her getting really defensive when I suggested she rethink this... so I'm hesitant to push. She's a grown woman and can make her own decisions, I just wish she had better perspective on this idea. I will probably reuse some of the phrasing in this thread anyway at some point so thanks to all who have chimed in!
  • Options
    I'm going to chime in with my personal experiences on this, because they might be relevant. Feel free to tell the MOH any of them if it helps.

I also grew up choreographing dances and doing skits with my cousins. We loved it. In fact my aunt re-wrote the Brady Bunch theme for us when my Grandpa got remarried. It was super hilarious and a super fond memory.

Fast forward to college. Still a theatre kid, so not shy on stage. In my concert band we went on a small tour. Newbies got assigned to "entertainment" which meant we had to come up with skits for the entire band to be performed after dinner at a few stops. One of the crew was super creative and there was at least one hilarious and memorable skit. It was a great idea and I had a really fun time.

The next year I went on another tour with the band. Because it was a special thing and nobody was a newbie, they just assigned people to crews. I got entertainment crew again. But this time we had no idea person. The three of us on the crew were terrible with coming up with ideas and the other two girls hated performing in front of the crowd (possibly because they knew the ideas were bad and couldn't commit). They were THE MOST AWKWARD and terrible skits I have ever been a part of. It's not my most embarassing memory, but thinking of it still fills me with the embarrased shame at how bad it was.

I think that if you make it optional, you'll get a bunch of skits like my first tour. Someone will have a great idea and everyone will be on board. It will be fun and funny if a little bit stupid. If you make it required, there will be a bunch of things like my second tour, where no one wants to be there and the ideas are terrible (but the best you could come up with). That's my super long winded warning.
  • Options
    Several years ago I was invited to Thanksgiving of a family friend.  They did this Talent Show thing as a planned part of the day.  Some people went all out with costumes and props; musical numbers, dance routines, comedy skits, juggling, etc.  And some people were less planned; basically knew what song they would sing, but didn't have accompaniment or all the lyrics, got nervous and were awful.  Also, not everyone who thinks they can sing can actually sing.  Some of the acts were painful.  My act, in particular (and I'm an attention whore), was awful!  My mom and I were going to sing a song in another language that we both speak.  My dad got nervous because my mom isn't much of a singer, and decided to "help" by singing with us.  He got us all off-key and singing the wrong words, and it was terrible.  They talked about how they were totally excited for next year because even more people would have properly planned for the Talent Show; personally, I've never been back.  Even as a person who loves being the center of attention, the whole idea of of this makes me want to avoid large gatherings with this group of people for fear it will happen again.  Nope.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Several years ago I was invited to Thanksgiving of a family friend.  They did this Talent Show thing as a planned part of the day.  Some people went all out with costumes and props; musical numbers, dance routines, comedy skits, juggling, etc.  And some people were less planned; basically knew what song they would sing, but didn't have accompaniment or all the lyrics, got nervous and were awful.  Also, not everyone who thinks they can sing can actually sing.  Some of the acts were painful.  My act, in particular (and I'm an attention whore), was awful!  My mom and I were going to sing a song in another language that we both speak.  My dad got nervous because my mom isn't much of a singer, and decided to "help" by singing with us.  He got us all off-key and singing the wrong words, and it was terrible.  They talked about how they were totally excited for next year because even more people would have properly planned for the Talent Show; personally, I've never been back.  Even as a person who loves being the center of attention, the whole idea of of this makes me want to avoid large gatherings with this group of people for fear it will happen again.  Nope.
    Oh my sweet tapdancing baby Jesus, SO.Much.This.

Talk about fremdschämen, which another PP already mentioned in this thread.  Not only is it embarrassing, but it's often painful to endure.

• Options

This would literally be me if I was forced to perform.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    "Friend, if you don't drop the idea of forcing everyone present to perform, everyone will be tap-dancing using you for the stage."
  • Options

No, actually there are plenty of occasions where a potluck would be rude.  Any event that should be hosted is inappropriate for a potluck, whether or not the intention to have a potluck is made clear from the beginning.

• Options
    I was a professional entertainer.  When I go on cruises, I keep a low profile.  I do not volunteer to perform.
    At home I am occasionally asked to perform at a party or a club meeting.  I do not like it.  It is stressful, especially now that I am retired. Would you ask a Doctor to do a free physical at a party?  How about free law advice from an attorney at a party?  No?  Then don't ask me to perform!!!!!!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:

No, actually there are plenty of occasions where a potluck would be rude.  Any event that should be hosted is inappropriate for a potluck, whether or not the intention to have a potluck is made clear from the beginning.
    I've been to several non-explicit potlucks at the home of one of my friends (not-so-coincidentally, shitshow wedding bride). I and our other mutual friends who attend have both tried to set a good example with fully hosting everything at our places. When she asks what she and husband can bring, we say "Nothing, just yourselves, but thanks for offering!" Last time, at the friend's place, she brought a bottle of wine - which is fine, as a host gift - but then she asked to drink some. And then admitted it was like $3, but now they know it's a good $3 wine. When we go to their place, though, we know we have to bring something or your choices will be tap water, whiskey, and not enough food.

Tomorrow they're "hosting" a potluck - they actually called it like it is. I'm pretty sure I'm not going.

In short, potlucks are the worst. I'm not going because I have no desire to prepare something, even stopping by the store. I wouldn't go to this because I have no desire to prepare a skit, even if I'm okay with performances. And to me, if you're invited somewhere, you shouldn't feel a pressure. Pressure to prepare something creates discomfort, which a host should try to alleviate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards