Not Engaged Yet

How Many of You Have Picked Out a Ring?

How many of you have looked at rings with your FH? 

We went about 3 months ago and he let me pick out a ring.  

I hope he asks soon, I can't wait to marry him! 

Re: How Many of You Have Picked Out a Ring?

• How many of you have looked at rings with your FH? 

I'm married but I looked at rings with my H so he knew what I liked and what I didn't like and he proposed 2 months later. I think it's important to give input about the ring. It's a big purchase and something you're going to wear a lot/everyday for (hopefully) a long time so it should be something you love. 

Tell us more about yourself! How long have you been with your SO? 

• I'm engaged, and didn't physically go ring shopping with my FI. However, we did have many discussions about it, and I sent him pictures online of rings that I liked, and rings that I didn't. He ended up buying the perfect ring. Good luck! 
  • I went with my DH one time to look at rings. He started the buying/designing process six months later, and we were engaged 6 weeks after that. I highly highly HIGHLY suggest giving strong hints or actually picking out your own ring. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• I'm also married but H and I looked at rings together and he got an idea of the style I liked and went from there.  Keep in mind that looking at or picking out rings might not mean a proposal in on the way right away....some ladies here waited a while between picking out a ring and having their SO propose.  In the meantime...

What are your hobbies?  
    What do you do for a living?  
    Where did you meet your SO?
  • H and I didn't do a lot of serious ring shopping together. We had several discussions about my preferences but he basically did it all by himself. I don't know if I recommend this way to everyone, but my H did pick out a perfect and gorgeous ring that suited me. 

• I think DH and I went into one ring store together and we didn't see anything at all. I told him what I have always liked in an engagement and wedding ring. He basically put my vision to reality and proposed with a beautiful ring that I love! I think if you really want something specific you should definitely talk to him about it.
  • H & I went ring shopping once because he wanted to make sure I really wanted morganite instead of a diamond. I did. 

I sent him the exact ring I wanted, and he proposed with that ring. 

*******************************************************************************************

• Swazzle said:
    How many of you have looked at rings with your FH? 

I'm married but I looked at rings with my H so he knew what I liked and what I didn't like and he proposed 2 months later. I think it's important to give input about the ring. It's a big purchase and something you're going to wear a lot/everyday for (hopefully) a long time so it should be something you love. 

Tell us more about yourself! How long have you been with your SO? 

My FH and I haven been together for a little over a year. 

We met on Tinder (eek) but we knew it was it. I was so excited to meet someone who made me feel the way he does, then I found out he was starting a surgical residency program in Philly (We met in Ohio, where he was finishing up medical school). So, 5 months into the relationship, I packed up my two cats and moved 7 hours away from everything I've known. 

Honestly, it has been such an amazing experience to discover a city together and grow together!

I'm done with graduate school in April and it's my birthday month, so I'm hoping that's the lucky month! 

• I'm really no help.  My bf's parents are jewelers.  He has more knowledge about jewelry than I ever will.  So I will really have no input on my ring.  We had a conversation about six months ago that was along the lines of: I want it to be a surprise, I do not want to turn into one of those BSC girls.  It better sparkle. You know what looks good on me.

What do you do for fun?
    Do you belong to any delivery services?
    Tell us a funny/embarrassing story about yourself. 
  • minskat30 said:
    I'm also married but H and I looked at rings together and he got an idea of the style I liked and went from there.  Keep in mind that looking at or picking out rings might not mean a proposal in on the way right away....some ladies here waited a while between picking out a ring and having their SO propose.  In the meantime...

What are your hobbies?  
    What do you do for a living?  
    Where did you meet your SO?
    I don't know how to change my user name!

My hobbies vary! I am an avid DIY/crafter and sports fanatic, I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio so I am a lover of all things Ohio.

We actually met on Tinder as silly as that sound, but when we met, we knew it was right! 

• One time I asked my BF if he wanted to go into a jewelry store to look at rings with me, about 2 years into our relationship. We only made it as far as the window display, which was ALL engagement rings. I asked him which of them he would pick for me. He says "THAT one, but with THAT stone in it.".......... I didn't even care to go in the store after that. His choice was AWESOME.

• This is the ring I fell in love with. I had my heart set on cushion cut, but when I tried them on, they looked dreadful. I think I have the hands of a giant, so I had to go with a ring that was larger. 

• AlPacina said:
    One time I asked my BF if he wanted to go into a jewelry store to look at rings with me, about 2 years into our relationship. We only made it as far as the window display, which was ALL engagement rings. I asked him which of them he would pick for me. He says "THAT one, but with THAT stone in it.".......... I didn't even care to go in the store after that. His choice was AWESOME.
    That's awesome! He's extremely methodical and would not feel comfortable buying something like an engagement ring without my 100% buy in. 

He's not spontaneous at all lol 
  • Wait... are you already planning?  If so, then congratulations you're already engaged.  If you both have agreed on getting married, there does not need to be a ring.  
  • H and I looked at rings together off and on for about a year before we got engaged. We researched various stones as well since I wasn't 100% set on a diamond, so we wanted to see the pros and cons of sapphires, moissanites, morganites, amethysts, etc. He ended up proposing with my mom's engagement ring, and then we designed my current ring together.

My cousin recently got engaged, and she and her FI did not look at rings together. She told him what she wanted in passing, and for the most part he got it for her. She wanted a thinner band, and when she brought up switching out the setting, he got really offended.  She really wishes they had gone ring shopping together.

So, my point with this post is that if you are at all picky about what you want in a ring, I'd suggest picking out the ring yourself. Otherwise, just relax and enjoy the current state of your relationship. :) Like @swazzle said, don't look into anything wedding related right now. You'll have plenty of time to worry about that after you're engaged. 

• Swazzle said:
    I know you didn't mention any of this here on this specific thread but I would strongly suggest not planning a wedding (a destination wedding in Europe nonetheless) and especially not choosing a wedding party before you're engaged. 
    We decided that we wanted to get married in Europe, but we can't nail down a number that made sense. We are going to be local. He introduces me as his future wife and FI. We literally have everything planned, I just need the proposal! I think he's waiting until I'm done with grad school. We want an extremely short engagement. 

• labro said:
    So I'd like to know more about your destination wedding in Italy. How's that going for you? Any progress on your guest list reduction?
    We could not agree on a number that made sense! It was a little out of control actually. 

We loooove this place: http://www.stanhywet.org/

• eilis1228 said:
    H and I looked at rings together off and on for about a year before we got engaged. We researched various stones as well since I wasn't 100% set on a diamond, so we wanted to see the pros and cons of sapphires, moissanites, morganites, amethysts, etc. He ended up proposing with my mom's engagement ring, and then we designed my current ring together.

My cousin recently got engaged, and she and her FI did not look at rings together. She told him what she wanted in passing, and for the most part he got it for her. She wanted a thinner band, and when she brought up switching out the setting, he got really offended.  She really wishes they had gone ring shopping together.

So, my point with this post is that if you are at all picky about what you want in a ring, I'd suggest picking out the ring yourself. Otherwise, just relax and enjoy the current state of your relationship. :) Like @swazzle said, don't look into anything wedding related right now. You'll have plenty of time to worry about that after you're engaged. 

Yes, I can understand his and her point of view. 

I had a girlfriend who bought her own engagement ring and gave it to her hubby to propose when he saw fit. Needless to say, they are still not engaged! 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Swazzle said:
    I know you didn't mention any of this here on this specific thread but I would strongly suggest not planning a wedding (a destination wedding in Europe nonetheless) and especially not choosing a wedding party before you're engaged. 
    We decided that we wanted to get married in Europe, but we can't nail down a number that made sense. We are going to be local. He introduces me as his future wife and FI. We literally have everything planned, I just need the proposal! I think he's waiting until I'm done with grad school. We want an extremely short engagement. 

No, you're already engaged. Sorry.

ETA:

I should also add that there are PLENTY of people who get engaged and buy a ring after the fact. My best friend was one of them.

• @Swazzle I just found that thread and now I am so confused. 

@Knottie66977628 I looked at rings once. 2 years into a relationship. BF had suggested it. We had a nice dinner and then he went into stores and pointed out rings and I kind of followed along, and the one he picked and asked me to try on was perfect. Then he started to get really weird and wanted to go home, he blamed the food. We still had a great night. Year later I was living with him, and still no ring. I asked about it. He flat out admitted it didn't mean anything and he did it to get me to "lighten up". We broke up a couple months later. He was a total dick and honestly I should have seen all the red flags (he used the ring shopping as a form of manipulation to get what he wanted).

Not saying that will happen, just saying that's the only time I have ever looked at rings. 

With current BF there's no plan to look at this time. We know we will end up married, but we are enjoying things as they are now and not worrying about anything like that in the future. 

• labro said:
    Swazzle said:

No, you're already engaged. Sorry.

ETA:

I should also add that there are PLENTY of people who get engaged and buy a ring after the fact. My best friend was one of them.
    Well as long as I have him, that's all that matters!

Meeting your soulmate is one of the best feelings on the planet, and I am so lucky!

Pardon my mushiness over here  <3
  • @Swazzle thanks for your input hun! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards