Wedding Etiquette Forum

Post Wedding Brunch/Breakfast

Hello we are planning on having a post wedding - the morning after breakfast/brunch for those guests that are staying at the hotel or live in the area.

There are a couple of questions I have - we were going to put this information into the little bags we leave with the hotel with general information about pick up etc, and brunch the morning after. (Is there really a need for a formal invite for this?). Can't we gauge the number of attendees based on the hotel reservations?

I read on the knot's website about servicing specific things - is that really remotely necessary. There is an amazing amazing pizza place that my fiance is in love with and we were thinking to ask them (if possible) to cater pizza and calzones etc for brunch? and lastly the website said traditionally brides parents pay, i give up on these traditional statements we are adults living in the 21st century we can pay for the brunch (if we couldn't we wouldn't have it). 

But I do want to ask - is there some formality to these? something that has to happen, or some should anyone speak or say thank you for coming. Or can this be just an open food/tray area people take food, mingle eat and pack up and check out. I honestly have only been to one of these so long ago that i don't even remember what the protocols are here. 

Those are my questions, thank you in advance for the tips and suggestions! 

Re: Post Wedding Brunch/Breakfast

• I think you want to get a feel because some people are check out and go types, others are sleep in and stay types, others just want to do their thing and then there are those happy to have brunch.

I'm not sure what you're planning for your reception but I think a calzone after a night of a lot of food and booze would not sit well in my stomach.   A breakfast pizza could be interesting but the younger crowd at a brunch is often needing a hair of the dog. 
  • Some people may not stay at the hotel - use their own points, find a better deal etc. so if you want to include them in the brunch you should have invitations. They don't have to be formal though. The who pays is entirely up to you and your families. These post wedding brunches are a relatively new thing so I don't really think there is any traditional etiquette as to who pays. 
  • Hello we are planning on having a post wedding - the morning after breakfast/brunch for those guests that are staying at the hotel or live in the area. So, my first question is, is the hotel one with a seating area that they normally serve breakfast in, or do they have a conference room where you would have the food catered in? 

There are a couple of questions I have - we were going to put this information into the little bags we leave with the hotel with general information about pick up etc, and brunch the morning after. (Is there really a need for a formal invite for this?). Info in the bags sounds perfect; no formal invite needed. Can't we gauge the number of attendees based on the hotel reservations? Yes, but you also said above "live in the area" so you'd have to tell those people about it too, in which case I'm thinking you have access to a conf room with catering to make this work. 

I read on the knot's website about servicing specific things - is that really remotely necessary. NO There is an amazing amazing pizza place that my fiance is in love with and we were thinking to ask them (if possible) to cater pizza and calzones etc for brunch? Sounds... not very brunchy. and lastly the website said traditionally brides parents pay, i give up on these traditional statements we are adults living in the 21st century we can pay for the brunch (if we couldn't we wouldn't have it). No, no tradition on who pays. 

But I do want to ask - is there some formality to these? It can be as formal or as informal as you want something that has to happen, or some should anyone speak or say thank you for coming. Or can this be just an open food/tray area people take food, mingle eat and pack up and check out. <---I like this option. I honestly have only been to one of these so long ago that i don't even remember what the protocols are here. 

Those are my questions, thank you in advance for the tips and suggestions! 
    Ok so. Informal would be via word of mouth, "We're going to be down at the breakfast area at 9am if you want to say hi and goodbye!" If the hotel includes breakfast, hotel guests can easily partake but non-guests cannot. If the hotel charges for breakfast, you can ask for breakfast vouchers and include those in the welcome bags. If you want non-hotel guests to join you, mention the option on your wedding website but have pre-paid vouchers available to give them so they don't pay. 
    If you want to go more formal, no invite needed but mention it on the website and in the welcome bags. Get a conference room and catering, pay for the catering, and you're golden. 
    I hope this isn't confusing. I've seen it a variety of ways myself. 

• I just want to say that I'm not opposed to pizza at any time of the day :)

SaveSave
  • I would leave if you only had calzones and pizza. Just not what I want at all after a late night of celebrating.
  • Where is the brunch being held? Informal is great, a grab and go kind of thing if some people want to get on the road quicker. I'm not sure I'd go for pizza though - I mean I like pizza and will eat it for breakfast but I haven't a feeling others might find it weird. Breakfast calzones/pizza might be ok as long as there are other more traditional items there.
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    I don't really have anything to add except it makes me think of Parks and Rec

• While I love pizza, calzones, etc., I have to agree that they sound more appropriate for lunch than brunch.

That said, the formality of the occasion is up to you. There is no need for your parents to pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards