Not Engaged Yet
Options

Friday!

Re: Friday!

• Options
    @cu97tiger - Zika is transmitted through mosquito bites (scientists think a specific type of mosquito prominent in the Caribbean and South America) so both tourists and locals would be at risk (there is some risk that it may be transmitted sexually, which is more of a risk for locals obviously but no definitive proof on that).  Regardless, once the mosquito population is infected with the virus, the virus can spread pretty quickly.  Travelers are likely the one spreading it in the Caribbean and South America actually....once someone travels to an infested area and gets bitten they travel back home and can infect the mosquito populations locally, which in turn infects more people.  A full outbreak in the U.S. is not as likely because of our seasonal weather, better infrastructure/eradication efforts for mosquitoes and the lack of huge populations of the mosquitoes who scientists think are transmitting the virus now but who knows down the road.  The really odd thing is that in prior zika outbreaks there was seemingly no documented uptick of birth defects so either the virus mutated, those outbreaks were not large enough as the one currently in Brazil to show a meaningful uptick or the current uptick in birth defects in Brazil is caused by something else.  

Sorry for the novel on zika...its on my mind as you can tell.  
  • Options

@speakeasy14 your travel dreams are oddly specific...was that your lottery winning plan already mapped out? lol

@cu97tiger hell yes to the elastic waistband...told H I am wearing these forever after I give birth hahah.

@labro I thought the same thing about Tanish pants!!

@cocobellaf those names are such different styles from each other lol.

• Options
    @cocobellaf - Micah (since that's what this english-speaking lady would call him) and Kennedy are both adorable names! One (non-snarky) question. Is there a reason you wouldn't name him Micah and then just have the spanish speaking part of the family call him Miqueas? Since he lives in the US, his teachers and friends are going to have a hell of a time with Miqueas. Just a thought! I wish DH would take the Christmas decorations down but he didn't touch a single one to put them up, so it's my job to take them down, too. He's a bit of a grinch ;)

@southernpeach89 - Oh no, they will DEFINITELY be down by the end of January. The problem is that the large bins are a PITA to get up the rickety basement stairs so that's the part I'm putting off.

@minskat30 - No apologies necessary. That is a scary thing, though I wonder if you looked at the number of malaria cases vs the number of zika cases if that might ease your mind? I'm wondering if we hear 'outbreak' and think widespread/everyone will get it, when it's really a very very small percentage/chance. Also, what are the treatment options? (I just really want you to be able to go to St. Lucia with a clear mind, and come home with a healthy baby still tucked away).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    @labro hahaha sorry it's a weird color. They're tan, but have some colored threading so I didn't know how to describe them

@jenna8984 haha actually my lottery winnings dream is way more boring.  I was just trying to fit as much as possible into a week. 

@minskat30 I wonder if those were the mosquitoes I was bitten by in Mexico... they left welts all over my body that turned into giant hickeys/scars. 
  • Options
    @minskat30 I hope you don't have to cancel your trip, and if you do, I hope you get your money and miles back!

@cocobellaf booo I wish your sickness would go away!

@peaseblossom55 fingers crossed and vibes for good news today!
  • Options
    @beanbot2002 I really love Thred Up although I was a little bit overwhelmed at first!! It's a website devoted to gently used/like new/new brand name clothiing being sold at second hand costs. You can make the search features specific to brands, styles, sizes, etc. and it's awesome!!! I've bought some things for myself and for Callie on the site and loved all of it!

• Options
    @Swazzle I reaaaaaaaaally want to see Revenant. Also, is this wine date with @southernpeach89 & @labro scheduled for the weekend of the 29th?? CAUSE YAY!!!
    @CocoBellaF first baby purchase!! Yay
    @minskat30 I really really really hope you don't have to cancel! All the things crossed for you!
    @cu97tiger you will receive no judgement from me. Mine are still up, and I don't have the excuses that you have. I've been sitting my happy fat ass around just looking at them and saying (repeatedly), "We need to take the decorations and the tree down." I think I'm hoping that if I say it enough it will just miraculously happen on its own. Yes...I'm being lazy.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    labro said:
    @beanbot2002 I really love Thred Up although I was a little bit overwhelmed at first!! It's a website devoted to gently used/like new/new brand name clothiing being sold at second hand costs. You can make the search features specific to brands, styles, sizes, etc. and it's awesome!!! I've bought some things for myself and for Callie on the site and loved all of it!
    Wait. They have kids clothes?????
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    labro said:
    Wait. They have kids clothes?????

• Options
    @cu97tiger - That is just our preference.  I don't think I have a reason that I can give.  :)
  • Options
    minskat30minskat30 member
    edited January 2016
    @cu97tiger - No vaccine or treatment options yet which is fine for your average person.  Zika isn't really dangerous to your average person (it just causes mild flu like symptoms (low fever, rash, joint pain)).  In fact, most people won't know they were infected with zika.  The problem lies in the virus transmitting to the fetus if it is the cause of microcephaly (abnormally small heads/brains and brain damage to the baby in womb).  That is a big "if" still but it is also a big problem for babies if the "if" is in fact a causal link.  I went to India during the whole dengue fever outbreak (and in areas where malaria is a real concern too) without too much stress over that because while those diseases can make you very sick and put the baby at risk because you are sick, scientist don't think those diseases are directly transmitted from mom to fetus.  With zika they have evidence (again, not definitive proof) that it can be pass through the placenta.  

This whole thing sucks big time basically and I'm not even sure H or I will enjoy the trip for our worry at this point.  :(  I'm calling the airline/hotel later this morning to see what they can do.
  • Options
    @beanbot2002 - Ahhhhh that's so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! Black on black on black is my go-to. Don't knock it! 

• Options
    @beanbot2002 I love ThredUp.  I bought a lot for myself.  But I've gotten stuff for my nieces and nephews (with tags still on) for really cheap. 
  • Options
    @beanbot2002 what is the sleep study for? That does not sound like fun at all, good luck!

• Options
    @swazzle, good luck being productive tomorrow!

@cocobellaf, hopefully baby settles down since you've made a purchase.

@minskat30, that sucks. I hope you don't have to cancel your trip.

@cu97tiger, I'm not pregnant and I got elastic jeans anyway because they're so freaking comfortable.
    ---
    What are you wearing today? A green-and-blue plaid blazer (buttoned), a cream blouse (that I discovered too late was see-through ...), black skinny pants, and black mary janes.
    What are you most looking forward to about this weekend? Celebrating my mom's birthday!
    What are you not looking forward to about this weekend? Having to work Monday even though I should have it off - I need time for course prep.
    If you had a week off work and unlimited funds, where would you like to visit in the continental US? Seattle, WA. I want to see my BFF.
    If you had two weeks off work and unlimited funds, where would you like to visit in the whole world? I only have two weeks? My bucket list vacation is to backpack the Civil War battlefields (the major ones), but if I have two weeks, I suppose I'd like to go to Italy and see as many Roman ruins as possible.
    ---
    Tonight is gaming, where I will finish the couch blanket of doom.

Tomorrow H and I are going to my parents' place to celebrate my mom's birthday. Her actual birthday is Tuesday, but that's when we can all get together.

Sunday is for football. And cleaning. And laundry.

Monday I'll be at the office doing course prep.
  • Options

Has anyone here been to like Bora Bora/ Indonesia/ Tahiti? My parents just went for Christmas, since she's a travel agent she's been like everywhere. Well she didn't sound too impressed. She basically said it wasn't worth the 40 hour flights because it "looked and felt the same as Hawaii and the Caribbean" to her. So that's disappointing to here! Of course that's just one opinion, I'm sure other people find it totally worth it.

• Options
    @audrewuh thanks about the siggy and I'm also the one with the puppy so thanks about that as well :) my stress and anxiety melted away the day I brought her home. I just love her!
  • Options
    @TwoDimes - I loved those 3 too! So far, this one is falling in line with my love for them. I think I'm only about half way through so far so I can only speak to that. 

@eilis1228 - What are you reading currently?

• Options
    eilis1228eilis1228 member
    edited January 2016
    @Swazzle The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. It's OK, a little too hokey for my taste, but not awful. I'm hoping to finish it today so I can start Mindy Kaling's new book tonight. I'm also listening to The Handmaid's Tale while I'm at the gym, but it's not the best thing to listen to while on the elliptical, so I've been slowly making my way through it. I really like it, but it's definitely one to sit down and read and contemplate, not to listen to while doing an activity. 

@audrewuh I just bought some fabric and got a code for a free tutorial on quilting baby bibs. :-D Between the bibs and the quilts and the toiletry bags, we have soooo many projects to work on together! 

• Options
    @untouchablets I'm SO glad you're doing better!!

@eilies1228 I may have also signed up to make burial dresses for a clinic in Haiti, too...
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    @audrewuh OMG that's a very sweet but totally random thing to sign up for. We obviously need to get together soon.

• Options
    @eilis1228 - I read the Handmaid's Tale in HS but not again since. I should reread it since it's been so long. I remember liking it!

@audrewuh

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards