Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help!

Hi, Everyone.

I'm usually much more of a lurker than a poster but I need some help. It's been a long couple of days for me. Friday night it was decided that things between my then FI and I would not work and I needed to walk away for myself. It's been rough but I'm managing. My question is, since we had just sent the Save-The-Dates two weeks ago, my Mother wants me to send a formal card to announce that there will be no wedding but should I do that or call everyone individually? Or both? What is the etiquette on this? I'd be more comfortable with the cards but I'm willing to do either, whichever is more appropriate. 

If I do send out these cards, what exactly do I say on them?  

Re: Help!

• Options

Thank you. You've definitely hit the nail on the head for the reason why, that and the few I have called (godparents, aunts and uncles, other family members I am close to, etc.) tend to want to spend 20-30 minutes discussing it and it's not really comfortable for me, I try to redirect the conversation but I'm apparently not very good at it. It is exhausting and I can't image making another 80 phone calls like that. My Mother has begun spreading the word around also, I just want to do everything so that a couple months from now, no one is asking me about a wedding. I've already contacted all of my vendors except the venue (this will get done Monday) and I've taken down the wedding website we had left.

Do you have any idea what the wording should be? I'm at a loss for what to say/how to explain it.

• Options
    I'm sure your friends and family are being kind and trying to make sure you are okay, but I'd be like you I wouldn't want to discuss it unless it was with either my mum or my best girlfriends. Focus on taking care of yourself, you don't need to worry about chatting and rehashing the whole situation with great aunt susan and your mums friend from college etc. Send the cards and leave the word of mouth to mum/family/close friends - everyone will understand.

I'm not great with wording for these kind of things and I wouldn't want to give you poor advice, but from what I've seen on here @CMGragain seems to have a good grasp on wording and could probably give you the ideal template to use. I'm sure when she see's this she will be happy to help.

• Options

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    No advice, just wanted to say i too am sorry you're experiencing this, but glad you were able to take this likely necessary step for your own well being and happiness.

Eta: I wouldn't want to call everyone either. If there are any other phone calls you think should be made, ask your mom to do it for you.
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    I would prefer to send cards b/c I wouldn't want to talk about it. I'm sorry you're going through this; vibes that what's best for you is what will be!

ETA: The usual suggested wording is "The wedding of Sally Smith and John Doe will not take place as planned."
    I agree that this wording is appropriate.  In my mind, however, it is just vague enough to leave me wonder if it will take place under another plan.  I would be more definitive and state,  "The wedding of Sally Smith and John Doe has been cancelled."

Good luck to you, QOTC2016. 

• Options
    Ugh, stuck in a box. But, thank you everyone. I will definitely take that advice on the wording. Word of mouth has already begun to circulate, I'm just going to do the formal cards as well so everyone knows what they're hearing is the truth.   
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I wouldn't want to talk to everyone either. I found this on a Google search.
    57.jpg 112.6K

• Options
    Also wanted to send hugs and support. You did the right thing. A good friend of mine was engaged to be married several years ago, and went through the same thing and broke everything off two months before the wedding was scheduled. I was going to be one of her bridesmaids and remember it was a very difficult time for her having to wade through announcing the wedding's cancellation (she ended up calling everybody and it was pretty draining). I agree that sending cards would probably be much easier on you.

If it helps to hear, my friend moved past the struggle of that break up and is doing fantastic now with a wonderful job, good friends, and a new boyfriend. She is so glad she made the decision when she did, and so are all her friends and family. I wish the same for you and have a feeling it will be so. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    More love and support for you, OP! I can't imagine how horrible this all feels, but I have so much respect for you and your ex to recognize that this is the right thing for you when it's much easier to just keep going with plans.
  • Options
    Just wanted to send you a hug and say how sorry I am that you're going through this. You've gotten very good advice here about the cards to send out, and remember, you don't have to explain any of this to anyone you don't feel comfortable talking to about it. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    I also just want to add my hugs and support. Go with card, any person with an ounce of compassion will understand.

• Options
    More hugs and support here. I know this must be incredibly hard for you, but it was also incredibly brave. <3  <3
  • Options
    More hugs and support for you.
  • Options
    I agree with the wording that everyone else has given you, but I want to send you internet hugs.  I can't imagine how difficult this time is and I myself wouldn't want to spend time calling people and having to constantly answer the same questions.  Sending cards is something I would do as well.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards