Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Start time to list on invitation?

Hi everyone!

I need your help with an etiquette question. Our wedding is set to start at 6:30 p.m. However, in order to get to the ceremony site, guests must take a train. The train will make one trip, and will leave at 6:10 p.m.

On our invitations, should I list 6:10 or 6:30 as the start time? I can see the positives and negatives for both.

Thank you for your help!

Re: Start time to list on invitation?

• Options
    Hi everyone!

I need your help with an etiquette question. Our wedding is set to start at 6:30 p.m. However, in order to get to the ceremony site, guests must take a train. The train will make one trip, and will leave at 6:10 p.m.

On our invitations, should I list 6:10 or 6:30 as the start time? I can see the positives and negatives for both.

Thank you for your help!
    JIC

• Options
    List 6:30 as the start time. Definitely do an insert about the train and do as much as you can to communicate that to guests ahead of time.

My friend was recently married in a castle that you had to take a ferry boat to get to. The website, an invitation insert, and I think the welcome letter all included details on the ferry schedule and the absolute last ferry you could catch in order to arrive at the ceremony on time. They also covered the ferry charge for guests (something you should consider since it seems like this train ride is required?).

• Options
    Ditto PPs.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ditto the PPs.

I would also be very vocal about this in addition to having the departure time of the train in writing.    
  • Options
    On your invite you list your actual start time.  Then on a separate insert you make it clear that the train to get to the ceremony site leaves promptly at 6:10.

• Options
    List 6:30 on the invite.  I'm really curious what kind of ceremony venue requires guests to take a train that only leaves once, though.
  • Options

List 6:30 on the invite.  I'm really curious what kind of ceremony venue requires guests to take a train that only leaves once, though.

My sister went to one in a redwood forest in CA. It's a little open air train that takes you from the parking lot to the ceremony. They put the time to be on the train on the invite and started the ceremony when the train arrived.
  • Options
    Is this literally the only train, and literally the only way to get to the ceremony site? If so, I would essentially consider the event to start at the train departure time in the parking lot (even though it seems weird to list your venue as essentially a train parking lot--that's what you should do if you list 6:10 as the start time, since that's where it's starting from). 

If there are other trains (even if they're only once an hour or something, and this is the only one that would get guests there on time) or there is any other way to get to the ceremony site, even if it's a somewhat longer walk, then I'd list 6:30 as the ceremony time and the ceremony location as the location. 
  • Options

I love you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards