Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Invites

Who all supposed to be invited to the bridal shower? We are planning it a couple months before the wedding (middle of March as of right now) 

Re: Bridal Shower Invites

• Are you the host?  If so, you need to decide how many people you can afford to host.  Then ask the bride for a list and that she can invite a max of X.

If you are the bride then you need to ask the host what the max number is. Then you give them a list and sit back and relax because the bride does not help to plan their own shower.

• Oh and anyone invited to the shower must also be invited to the wedding.

• Anyone can be invited as long as they are also invited to the wedding. Personally, I think showers should be kept fairly intimate.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Here is what Miss Manners (Judith Martin) has to say about showers:

"Bridal showers, and for that matter, baby showers, are supposed to be informal gatherings of the honoree’s close friends, who give charming little (repeat: little) presents befitting the circumstances-to-be. For the honoree’s parents to give showers, whether or not they can afford to do so, not only looks vulgar because of the focus on presents, but also destroys the premise.

Those monster showers given today have become a burden on both hosts and guests, another in a series of events designed to collect whatever goods the honorees have announced that they want."

Keep it simple.  Everyone likes cake. 

I really hope that you are not the bride.  The bride's only contribution to a shower should be her presence and the guest list.  Everything else is planned by the hosts, who VOLUNTEER to have the shower for her.  Many brides do not get showers at all.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • As a bride, I had the same question. My bridesmaids asked me for a guestlist, but I keep staring at my guest list and asking where the cutoff is. Every woman invited to the wedding? Local women only? Closest friends and relatives only? The venue provides no clue since it can do outdoor parties of about 60 and indoor parties of up to about 20 and the weather should be just fine for outdoors. I've compiled a full list of all the women, but I'm going to talk to my bridesmaids again before I hand it over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was once invited to my then-boyfriend's best friend's FI's bridal shower. (Insert Spaceballs joke here.) Four states away. He was the best man and we were living together, and so I was invited even though I had never met the bride or the groom. It was super awkward, and I declined, without sending a gift.

Make sure you only invite people you're very close to, even if others are on the guest list. Otherwise it just looks like a gift grab.
  • As a bride, I had the same question. My bridesmaids asked me for a guestlist, but I keep staring at my guest list and asking where the cutoff is. Every woman invited to the wedding? Local women only? Closest friends and relatives only? The venue provides no clue since it can do outdoor parties of about 60 and indoor parties of up to about 20 and the weather should be just fine for outdoors. I've compiled a full list of all the women, but I'm going to talk to my bridesmaids again before I hand it over.
    You need to talk with the person/s throwing the shower about their budget, and also consider your own comfort level. I had the same issue because they wanted to throw me a coed shower. With men and women it was over 60 people and I simply did not feel comfortable with the level of expense it would have caused them. I told them I wanted to downsize and so I gave them a list of women invited to the wedding who I am close to or are in the same circle as someone I am close to. I think we ended at 28, which is still a lot of people!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards