New Jersey

Tanning??

Hello winter brides! I am sure some of your are also grappling with the decision on whether to add some color to your skin like me! I am nervous about doing a spray tan though and having it rub off on my dress, and I am also looking for the most "natural" tan. Does anyone have any suggestions, experiences, etc on this? Also, anyone know of a good place in Northern NJ to get this done?

Thanks!

Re: Tanning??

• How close is your wedding and have you ever done this before are probably the first questions I would ask.  I'm getting married in April and I prefer to use tanning beds (I know they're terrible... you can save the lectures) - however, it's a gradual tan that you can kind of control a little more.  I go once a week just for a color base and don't plan on being too tan on my wedding day.  Also, you may want to check with what your makeup artist recommends as well- when I had my trial last month she asked if I was planning on tanning and recommended I make sure I don't overdo it because a heavy tan + makeup can sometimes be too much against a white (or ivory) dress.

At the end of the day, you need to love how you look in your photos- so if you want a little color, go for it- you have the pictures for forever.

• I am getting married in 25 days (eeeek lol) and I get very tan in the summer but extremely pale in the winter so I knew I needed to tan in order to feel my best. I usually go to beach bum tanning because I feel they're the best but now I go in the tanning beds at my gym (Retro).  It was the most affordable route for me considering I am saving for a wedding and they are not as strong as the tanning beds in salons so I haven't gotten that orange fake look.  I went about 2-3 times a week for about 3-4 weeks and got a nice base going and now I have been going 1-2 times a week to maintain until the wedding and I have a nice little base to where I do not look pale but do not look overly tan.  Remember all of your guests will be pale also and I am assuming (like mine) not all your bridesmaids will be tan so you do not want everyone else pale and you looking like you came off an island :) Hope this helps! (and yes I too know that tanning is bad) 
  • thank you both! i have 33 days until the wedding so clearly need to make the tanning bed decision stat. 
  • If you go to a good salon @futuremrss0130 , 1 month is more than enough time!  Just don't over do it! Good Luck!
  • What about a spray tan?  I get spray-tanned at Beach Bum Tanning (I go to the one in East Hanover, NJ) and I LOVE it.  Just follow their directions (very thorough on their website) and you'll be fine.  I get the natural/light color with a little bit of the next darkest mixed in.  I go two days before I need it- i.e., I got spray-tanned on Wednesday for my Friday wedding.  I had so many friends compliment me on how natural it looked, and there was 0 transfer on my dress.

Why not give it a test run before the wedding and see what you think?  And it's so much healthier!!  (Ladies, no tanning beds!  Agh!  :) )
  • Thanks NowIAmSyp!! I will look into it--was it a spray tan booth or did you have someone hand spray you?
  • I had someone hand-airbrush me.  A little more expensive, but totally worth it. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards