Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER: Too much dessert?

2»

Re: NER: Too much dessert?

• lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    At a wedding?  After I've eaten apps and dinner?  When I'm drinking? I barely get through a piece of cake.  Maybe a cookie.  Certainly not more than one. My stomach isn't big enough to eat so much.

I also  have blood sugar issues.   If I'm not careful too much sugar will make me crash later.  So I limit myself.  

I can eat ;-)  Italians are like the marathon runners of eating- trained at a young age by our grandmothers to "Mangia! Mangia!" or else you don't actually love grandmother.  We graze all.night.long.

Blood sugar issues are not something I'd mess with, though.  I get that!
    My husband of Italian decent can eat all day long.  Hell he does... you know... "quality control" at work.     That is also why he is overweight (although down 45 pounds with the help of drugs and nutritionist).

Don't get me wrong.  I like sweets.  Ben and Jerry's Milk and cookies?  Hell yeah.   Candy, cakes, brownies, whatever.   I just  do not  like them in in large quantities.  

DH will eat a box of Oreos in a day, maybe day and a half.  It would take me a week or more.   Pint of ice cream takes him 2 days.  Again, I can make it last a week or more.   Although with him around I've been know to will speed up the process if I think he might eat it all before I get a chance.

I have the ability to take 2 days to finish a regular size Twix.     I had clients send me a box of chocolates on Friday.  I still haven't opened the box.

I'm a freak.  
    WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! :-P

Well DH bought some ice cream on Friday night.  So I've been eating a little of that each night.   Eventually I will make it over to the boxed candy. I'm in no rush.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    At a wedding?  After I've eaten apps and dinner?  When I'm drinking? I barely get through a piece of cake.  Maybe a cookie.  Certainly not more than one. My stomach isn't big enough to eat so much.

I also  have blood sugar issues.   If I'm not careful too much sugar will make me crash later.  So I limit myself.  

I can eat ;-)  Italians are like the marathon runners of eating- trained at a young age by our grandmothers to "Mangia! Mangia!" or else you don't actually love grandmother.  We graze all.night.long.

My husband of Italian decent can eat all day long.  Hell he does... you know... "quality control" at work.     That is also why he is overweight (although down 45 pounds with the help of drugs and nutritionist).

Don't get me wrong.  I like sweets.  Ben and Jerry's Milk and cookies?  Hell yeah.   Candy, cakes, brownies, whatever.   I just  do not  like them in in large quantities.  

DH will eat a box of Oreos in a day, maybe day and a half.  It would take me a week or more.   Pint of ice cream takes him 2 days.  Again, I can make it last a week or more.   Although with him around I've been know to will speed up the process if I think he might eat it all before I get a chance.

I have the ability to take 2 days to finish a regular size Twix.     I had clients send me a box of chocolates on Friday.  I still haven't opened the box.

I'm a freak.  
    I'm just going to go ahead and PM you my address;).  I'm concerned for your sugar levels is all.
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

scribe95 said:
    18 cookies per person? That is almost obscene.
    Not really.  A friend of the family works in the restaurant and catering business and told us that the general estimates they use for catered events is 1-1.5 dozen of cookies per guest.

DOZEN?     Kind-of shocking there is an obesity problem in the US.   That is insane.

I would would lover the average to 1, maybe 2 cookies.  So that means others are eating MORE than 18 cookies at an event.

ETA - DH prepares 1.5 cookies per per guest.   On the boat I worked on we also prepared 1.5 per guests.  We often had leftovers. Not a lot, but it was rare they were all gone.
    That's the figure for the Pittsburgh weddings and other events where cookies are the main desert.  Pittsburghers love cookies.
    Even for a main dessert that is an insanely high number of cookies per person.
    Pft, who in the hell only eats 1-2 cookies?  No one I know! :-P  I can tell you that your DH would run out of cookies if I was on your boat. . . I'm not eating just a single cookie, lol.  Especially not at a wedding that has a cookie table; the cookies are usually way better than the wedding cake (which is almost always dry in my experience and is often a burnt almond torte because 'Burghers are obsessed with those stupid, gross tortes :-P )

And over the course of 4-6 hour reception?  Where ppl are grazing. . . a dozen cookies is plausible.   Even if the cookies are withheld until after dinner, that's typically still 3-4 hours of munching.

Keep in mind, these tables are typically present at Italian weddings.  Have you seen how Italians cook/eat?

httpwwwkappitcomimgpics20141210_112814_efagebh_smpng

VicTim328 said:
    kvruns said:
    I'm learning something new. So the cookie table is something that guests contribute to? Or is that how it used to be but now B&G in the area supply a ton of cookies as dessert?
    Usually, it's the close family/friends of B&G that offer to contribute to the cookie table as a gift to the B&G.  Sometimes, they will use family recipes of deceased loved ones.  Occasionally, you will see B&G contribute to it.  It got its beginnings during the Depression, when sugar/ingredients for a cake were difficult to come by.  Family members/community members would bake cookies for the receptions.  It's a tradition that has been passed down, to the point of crazy today.

Some family recipes are passed down with cookie tables in mind.  We had a cookie table at my shower, and my aunt came over to bake shortly after Christmas.  One of the family recipes she brought over called for 10 cups of flour, 14 eggs, 6 cups of sugar and 4lb of butter.  We had to mix it in a metal cooler, but it made 40 dozen cookies about the size of a quarter.
    Do you have an actual citation for this?  It makes sense, but this is the first time I've ever heard of that explanation or ever come across it. 

I like @PrettyGirlLost 's idea of doing some of this at the rehearsal dinner instead of everything at the reception.

Also count me in the camp of 18 cookies per person sounds INSANE. How small are these cookies?? How does a person possibly have room for that after a full meal?? I don't think I could eat 18 cookies even if it was all I ate all day...
    They are the size of typical lady locks, thumb prints, mexican/russian wedding cookies, pizelles, peanut butter blossoms, etc.  So, not that big really.  And again, eaten over the course of 4-6 hours, and as @STARMOON44 mentioned people also take them home.  They are like a secondary favor, lol.

I don't have a source other than a high school history teacher.  He explained it as although it was mostly immigrant families who participated, it "appeared" during the depression, as they were the most affected.  I've seen it on a few of the cutesy poems, but at least the B or G had also had the same teacher.
  • My SIL and BIL (both of Italian decent) had 50 actions stations at their cocktail hour.  They then had a 5 course meal (table side choice of 7 different entrees).  

Then an hour later they had some 20 action stations for their "late night snack".  Mind you we danced between courses and didn't finish dinner until after 9 and the "late night snack" came out at 10:30.

I get overwhelmed by all the food that I end up barely eating.   I'm like that at similar events.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I'm a freak.  

No!  You're not the only one.  Even as a child, I didn't have much of a sweet tooth.

I know I will lose all respect on this board to admit this, but I've had to throw chocolate away before because I let it sit too long and it went bad.  It takes a few months for that to happen (hiding face in shame).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blah, DH just got home and looked at me with a very sad face and said "can I open the box of chocolates?".    LOL

Of course I said he could.

• There is no such thing as too much dessert!

We served cupcakes and had a candy bar, plus the venue put out pastries as part of the late night snack. No candy left over. Pastries gone. A fair amount of cupcakes left over, but we had also ordered 100 for 72 guests. 

I agree that the priority should be a well hosted event, but if the B&G want a S'More bar and candy bar and cake and cookies- go for it. Myself, I'd probably have a piece of cake, one s'more, a few cookies and a bit of candy (maybe take some home in a bag if offered). 

At my friend's wedding, their late night buffet was unreal- both in the aspect that it was REALLY GOOD, but at the same time I would never spend that amount of money for that much food. There was so much of everything- cake, cheesecake, cake pops, ice cream sandwiches, toasted marshmallows, pizza, fruit, and some other stuff I can't remember. I took one of each as much as I could- and I still couldn't eat one of everything! 
  • I just had 3 cookies for dessert tonight.

• I just had 3 cookies for dessert tonight.

I just had 6, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks to all of you I'm going to make cookies for my meeting Wednesday.  Just thought you should know.

• LD1970 said:
    I'm baking a cake for my Thursday night meeting. For the record, Jews (me) and Italians are essentially the same people. Instead of mangia, it's esse, that's all. And where I come from, a pint of ice cream is a single serving.
    I'm Jewish on one side and Italian on the other. It's a miracle I'm not obese. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards