Wedding Reception Forum

XP: Too much dessert?

My friend is getting married in December. She really wants a candy bar. He really wants a s'Mores bar. They will also be having a cookie table (local tradition, not really optional). Is having cake also too much or is there no such thing as too much dessert?

They will have take home containers for the candy and cookies. (and that could be an option for the cupcakes too)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: Too much dessert?

• I'm personally of the mind that there is never too much dessert.  I would, however, probably treat the cookies and candy as a favor, the S'mores as a late night snack, and cake as the actual dessert immediately following the meal.

Of those things, if they aren't willing to buck tradition (just cause it's tradition doesn't mean it's mandatory), I would probably cut candy or s'mores or do s'mores at the rehearsal if they are having one.  Unless they are having like some really specialized hard to get blast from the past candy, I can get candy anywhere.  I have a big old bowl of it in my office at work at all times.  The s'mores, I would have reservations about because the best part of s'mores is toasting the marshmallow yourself to your desired toasty level.  So if this means doing it over a Bunsen burner type thing or there potentially being a long line as people do this or not enough caterers to keep things moving and there being a long, I wouldn't be a fan.  That's why I think it's better suited to smaller groups or a late night snack rather than a main dessert.   
  • I agree with jacques27; I love sugar, there's no such thing as too much!  But yeah, I don't see how s'mores would work on that large a scale; plus, they're pretty sticky and messy to eat, so maybe not the best food when you're dressed for a wedding.  But I think that would be awesome at a rehearsal dinner or if they want to have an "after-party" at their house or something.  
    For the candy bar, I think if they stick to 5 or so candies that have special significance to them (candy from the year they were born, year they met, his/her favorite, candy from a special trip they took together), I as a guest would take some as a to-go favor along with some of the cookies, and eat a piece of cake/cupcake at the reception.  If the couple has a lot of leftover candy at the end of the night, maybe they can store it and use it next Halloween.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards