Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette for Hotel Blocks?

Is it proper etiquette to provide hotel blocks for people or is it just nice(like favors)? I was thinking of just compiling a list of hotels, names, address, etc and throwing them on the wedding website. But if it's against etiquette then I won't do it because I don't want to be side eyed and I want to be a good host. Our guest list is a little less than half out of town guests, but we are getting married in an area with tons of hotels around. Thanks :)

Re: Etiquette for Hotel Blocks?

• Perfectly fine but in no way required. I think we blocked rooms at two or three to give some options (and each hotel offered a discount to our guests).
  • It depends.  

Location with a lot of hotels on the surface seems to deem no need for a hotel block.  However, if it's high season or there is a special event weekend then you might find your guests SOL on finding a room.  Sometimes room blocks give your guests a break on the rate.  Not always, but sometimes.

Special event weekends can be just about anything.  Sure everyone knows about the university's graduation weekend or homecoming.  But not everyone knows  about the 40,000 14-18 year olds in town for some Lutheran Bible conference.

I recommend doing some research.  Is there a big event?  Are you able to get special rates of your guests?  Can you block without YOU being responsible for any money?     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

It depends.  

Location with a lot of hotels on the surface seems to deem no need for a hotel block.  However, if it's high season or there is a special event weekend then you might find your guests SOL on finding a room.  Sometimes room blocks give your guests a break on the rate.  Not always, but sometimes.

Special event weekends can be just about anything.  Sure everyone knows about the university's graduation weekend or homecoming.  But not everyone knows  about the 40,000 14-18 year olds in town for some Lutheran Bible conference.

I recommend doing some research.  Is there a big event?  Are you able to get special rates of your guests?  Can you block without YOU being responsible for any money?     

Contact your city's convention and visitors bureau. They'll have a pretty good idea of when big events/expos/conventions are.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hotel blocks are never required, but they are a nice gesture.

Often the hotel will give a cheaper rate, as they are assuming they will get a large number of rooms booked. It is also considerate, as pointed out above, if you are in a remote area with few options or there is something big going on in town, to ensure your guests will have somewhere to stay.

I would not do a block that requires you to put down a deposit or be on the hook for a percentage of the rooms. Some places require this....

We had blocks at 2 hotels- different price points. The hotels let me block as many rooms as I wanted, for no cost at all, knowing that on X date (usually a month before the wedding date), any un-booked rooms would be released to the general public again. 
  • Awesome! Thanks guys! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards