Wedding Woes
Options

Can we only move in MIL and leave FIL on his own?

Dear Prudence, 
My husband and I and are moving into a larger home with our children. We’d like a home with an in-law suite so his sixtysomething parents could live with us. We both adore his lovely mother (who is kind, hardworking, and practical) but are exasperated by his lazy, critical, spendthrift, alcoholic father. She has serious health problems and will likely die within 10 years, so we want her to have maximum access to her only grandchildren. Perversely, her husband is in good health and will likely live into his 90s based on family history. We don’t want to support him and suffer his insults for 30 years, especially once she is gone. Is there any way to set up a co-living situation just as long as she is alive?

Re: Can we only move in MIL and leave FIL on his own?

• Options
    Well, that sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Seriously.

If mom wants to leave her husband, well cool.  Help her out.  Asking mom to leave her husband is quite another.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Crap.... I want to know how this turns out!

Agree with Lynda. 
  • Options
    Yeah, there is no way to go about this well.  "Well Dad, we actually don't give a shit about you, so if you could just gtfo of our house as soon as mom dies, while you're grieving, that would be great."  I mean, I get that dear old dad probably isn't the greatest, but there's no good way to make that happen in their house.  I guess they could always help the parents move somewhere close, like to an assisted living/retirement community nearby.  Close access, and no awkwardness, and if you want to cut off ties with dad after mom dies, you aren't kicking him out (which, let's be honest, sounds a little heartless). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards