Chit Chat
Options

Irrational Annoyances

Anyone? Bueller?

It doesn't affect me even a little bit, but I get all pissy when men "babysit" their own kids. They're YOUR KIDS. You TAKE CARE of them and don't deserve a gold star for keeping them alive while mom isn't home.

My coworker has an adult special needs daughter and she talks about how her husband "helps her" with their daughter. Today she's leaving work early because her daughter is sick and didn't go to her workshop and her husband doesn't want to "babysit" her anymore. I want to punch him in the junk.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Irrational Annoyances

• Options
    I hate it when people take telephone calls in the grocery store. They think they are still paying attention to where they are going, but they are wrong. And my local grocery store is cut throat.
  • Options

Anyone? Bueller?

It doesn't affect me even a little bit, but I get all pissy when men "babysit" their own kids. They're YOUR KIDS. You TAKE CARE of them and don't deserve a gold star for keeping them alive while mom isn't home.

My coworker has an adult special needs daughter and she talks about how her husband "helps her" with their daughter. Today she's leaving work early because her daughter is sick and didn't go to her workshop and her husband doesn't want to "babysit" her anymore. I want to punch him in the junk.

ME TOO!!!  I hate that it's the mom's duty and for the dad it's like he is doing the mom a favor.   And they expects this:

Funny I was about to post something myself. Be careful what you wish for.

DH decided to be nice and start the laundry.   He threw in a dry clean only sweater of mine.      

Sigh,  it's nice he wanted to help, but really?    Thank God his idea of "doing laundry" is really only turning on the washer.   So I was able to save the sweater (and other items) from going into the dryer.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Anyone? Bueller?

ME TOO!!!  I hate that it's the mom's duty and for the dad it's like he is doing the mom a favor.   And they expects this:

Funny I was about to post something myself. Be careful what you wish for.

DH decided to be nice and start the laundry.   He threw in a dry clean only sweater of mine.      

Sigh,  it's nice he wanted to help, but really?    Thank God his idea of "doing laundry" is really only turning on the washer.   So I was able to save the sweater (and other items) from going into the dryer.    
    I always struggle with this sort of thing - like if FI offers to go to the grocery store alone (because I hate it so much) but then gets the wrong thing(s), can I be mad? He does also dry my bras sometimes when he does the laundry, which is annoying. But, again, he is truly being nice.

My IA is a coworker of mine. We work in an open office environment, which means just like rows of desks. I started working at the same time as this girl, let's call her A, and right away I knew it was going to be trouble. She is far and away the least considerate and grossest person ever. She'll sit there and dig dandruff off her scalp and then inspect it, drink soda and then burp over and over again, sigh loudly, talk to herself, listen to podcasts or something and cackle loudly, play endless games of candy crush and otherwise just stare at her phone, and on and on and on. We're editors so all we do all day is read and edit and write, and that shit is So. Incredibly. Distracting. It got to the point where, when the person who was sitting to my left moved to a different desk, I requested to at least move over one desk to get away from her.
  • Options

Anyone? Bueller?

FI has a friend that calls it babysitting when he is watching his kids alone.  Its become a joke around our friends but it drives me nuts.  Its called parenting, jerk!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    My work annoyance (among others) is people who leave the microwave saying 5 seconds left or 13 seconds or whatever.  Hit cancel, it isn't that hard. In part I like it to be clear because then you see the clock but really it just drives me crazy for no reason.
    Yes!  I hate that.

And leaving kitchen cabinets open.  Is it that hard to close them?  Leaving them open makes the kitchen look messy, even if it isn't.  And I'm short, so the kitchen cabinets are about the right height to hit me right in my temple if I'm not paying attention.  DH is awesome about a lot of things (he cooks, cleans, all that goodness), but he is guilty of both these and it annoys the hell out of me.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    My work annoyance (among others) is people who leave the microwave saying 5 seconds left or 13 seconds or whatever.  Hit cancel, it isn't that hard. In part I like it to be clear because then you see the clock but really it just drives me crazy for no reason.
    Totally my DH.   So annoying.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Yes!  I hate that.

And leaving kitchen cabinets open.  Is it that hard to close them?  Leaving them open makes the kitchen look messy, even if it isn't.  And I'm short, so the kitchen cabinets are about the right height to hit me right in my temple if I'm not paying attention.  DH is awesome about a lot of things (he cooks, cleans, all that goodness), but he is guilty of both these and it annoys the hell out of me.
    H actually put in a line in his vows about not always remembering to close the cabinet doors. He knows it annoys the ever loving shit out of me but I realized a few months ago that he gets it from his mom. I watched her go all around the kitchen and not close the cabinets as she went.

My IA - coworkers that come into work late every.single.day because our boss doesn't come until an hour after we all do. I'm always on-time, even a little early most days and every single person on my team routinely come in 5 to 15 minutes late. Does it affect my job? No but it annoys me that they're clearly taking advantage of not having a boss here to notice.
  • Options
    The parenting thing totally chaps my hide.

Last June DH went on a road trip with his best friend and he was gone from something like Thursday until Tuesday.   He was actually OOT for Father's Day weekend and I celebrated Father's Day at my parents with his parents in attendance.   The following Wednesday (as in 12 hours after DH was getting home) I had to fly to Green Bay to be there from Wed until Friday night.    

My father asked, "So is DH going to babysit while you're out of town?" 

I asked, "Tell me Dad.   Am I babysitting now??"  Then I proceeded to give dear old dad a ration of shit for thinking that DH watching the kids while I work was babysitting and somehow taking one for the team yet no one patted wifey on the back while he was out doing the male bonding thing.   Note: I'm cool that DH went on the trip and all was fine.   

But yeah - they're ours together.   You're not just a dad for photo ops.   Luckily he gets that most of the time.  
  • Options
    The babysitting and man-help things annoy me too.  If I get mad at FI for being a schlub around the house, my sister tells me I'm too hard on him and should expect less because he's a guy.  There is no penis in the world that is big enough to interfere with a vacuum or duster!

My irrational annoyance this week is with poorly written bridal show emails.  I worked two for my caterer last month so now I'm getting all sorts of mailing list emails that say "thanks for stopping by our booth!"  I didn't - you're assuming I did.  

And I'm sick of bridal advice articles.  I just read one about the importance of my bridal scent.  What in the actual fuck?!
    I agree so much with the bolded! I never understand expecting guys to do less housework just because they're guys.  I do most of the housework since I'm currently a SAHM, but there is no chore my H won't do if I ask.  And at times when I'm working or sick or whatever, he'll automatically step up. I can't imagine things being otherwise.

My IA is that the college students are back in town.  Our town basically doubles in size during the school year, and it makes driving such a pain, and a bit terrifying.  They'll just dart into the street without looking!  I know it's part of living in a college town, but I'll be glad when H is done grad school.
  • Options
    My dad is a safety guy.   Before he retired he was on many local, national and international committees on construction safety.  That carried over to general work place and home safety. 

A cabinet door open is SUCH a pet peeve of mine.   It's not hard to close, but it really is a safety issue.  Someone can bang their head, or legs on open doors.   Kids and pets can get into cabinets.   

• Options

I get annoyed when H takes out the trash/recycling and then doesn't put a new bag in the cans. The bags are kept not 5 feet from the cans. When I took out the trash this week, new bags were promptly put in place.

• Options
    kvruns said:
    Yes!  I hate that.

Mine leaves the drawers open too. They always hit that sweet spot that bruises easily.
  • Options

I get annoyed when H takes out the trash/recycling and then doesn't put a new bag in the cans. The bags are kept not 5 feet from the cans. When I took out the trash this week, new bags were promptly put in place.

our bags are less than 5 inches from the trash can.   DH still can't be bothered.

DH doesn't do well with recycling either.  They are right next to each other, but I find recycling shit in the normal trash all the time.

• Options
    Oh, I have one!  Last night DH and I went to dinner. The table next to us was a couple with a baby.  They had brought balloons and a cake.  They then proceeded to spend 5 minutes (literally) taking photos of baby with cake, and mom with baby, and dad with baby.  DH asks them what they are celebrating and it's the baby's 11 month birthday.  Seriously?  Dinner out with balloons, cake, and 100 photos for a month birthday?  I get wanting to remember the moments in your kids lives, but that's a bit overkill.  I totally expect that these people will rent a hall and do a full catered event next month for the actual 1-year birthday.

Oh... and they were all color coordinated.  All wore the same color shirts, which also matched the balloons and the cake.
    Woah. Talk about some major crazy going on. They color coordinated themselves to the balloons and cake? Oookay, then. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

our bags are less than 5 inches from the trash can.   DH still can't be bothered.

DH doesn't do well with recycling either.  They are right next to each other, but I find recycling shit in the normal trash all the time.

My H does this too and it drives me nuts. Spmetimes when I'm feeling extra assy I just throw garbage in there without the bag.

I bitch to him about how I have to clean up after him cleaning. When he mops the floors, the bucket is left on the floor. When he does dishes, he leaves the dish soap and sponge out. He's getting better.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I have that problem too. Our trashcan is in a cabinet drawer and the bags are in a little container in that same drawer - so maybe 3 inches from the full bag of trash is the new bags to put in. When I take it out I pull out the trash, tie it, set it on the floor, put a new one in and then take it out. Not that difficult. He will take it out on his way to work (especially on trash day) and then just leave the door open - I haven't decided if it is a reminder to himself when he gets home from work or if it is a reminder to me to put one in that morning haha
  • Options
    Along the lines of the cabinets... My IA is that DH leaves 1) the closet door ajar-- just CLOSE it! and 2) lets pot handles extend outward past the edge of the stove when cooking. Talk about a safety issue there. I'm a klutz and don't need to knock a pot of boiling whatever off the stove. I always just turn it when I notice it. 

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    lyndausvi said:

My H does this too and it drives me nuts. Spmetimes when I'm feeling extra assy I just throw garbage in there without the bag.

I bitch to him about how I have to clean up after him cleaning. When he mops the floors, the bucket is left on the floor. When he does dishes, he leaves the dish soap and sponge out. He's getting better.

ha.  Sometimes my DH will vacuum like 90% of the room, then leave the vacuum, still plugged in mind you, for days.  Really?

He does help, but some how I always still have to get involved.  Unlike when I do things it's ALL DONE.  

For example, when I "do laundry", I start the washer, move it to the drying rack or the dryer, fold and put them away.  When DH "does laundry", it's starting the washer. That's it.  No other steps.

• Options
    Along the lines of the cabinets... My IA is that DH leaves 1) the closet door ajar-- just CLOSE it! and 2) lets pot handles extend outward past the edge of the stove when cooking. Talk about a safety issue there. I'm a klutz and don't need to knock a pot of boiling whatever off the stove. I always just turn it when I notice it. 
    To the bolded: We have an older kitchen from the early 1970s.  There is one cabinet that likes to slowly open about 2 inches (it used to open all the way, but we tightened the hinges so now its only 2 inches).  It will not stay closed!  It annoys both H & I!!!!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

ha.  Sometimes my DH will vacuum like 90% of the room, then leave the vacuum, still plugged in mind you, for days.  Really?

He does help, but some how I always still have to get involved.  Unlike when I do things it's ALL DONE.  

For example, when I "do laundry", I start the washer, move it to the drying rack or the dryer, fold and put them away.  When DH "does laundry", it's starting the washer. That's it.  No other steps.

Ah yes. same thing happens in our house.

I'll find his stuff in the washer and move it to the dryer. I'll then forget I put it in there (because we do laundry separately, so it's not my stuff) and he'll complain that it's too wrinkled because it sat too long. Um, you left it WET in the WASHER!!!

• Options
    Another IA I have to go with all of the work bitching in WW is when coworkers leave a voicemail to say "Hi it's Name, call me back."  

I have caller ID.  I know you called.  Protocol is to call you back.  Leave me a message with what you want or don't leave a message at all.
  • Options
    Another IA I have to go with all of the work bitching in WW is when coworkers leave a voicemail to say "Hi it's Name, call me back."  

I have caller ID.  I know you called.  Protocol is to call you back.  Leave me a message with what you want or don't leave a message at all.

I hate that with any VM (and really I hate all vm) - if you are leaving a message tell me why I should call you back. don't just say 'call me'
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I hate that with any VM (and really I hate all vm) - if you are leaving a message tell me why I should call you back. don't just say 'call me'
    I love the voice mails that go like this

"Hi................ This is Mary.......Brown...... I have a question........on blah..... and blah......... I ... can.. be... reached at.......[insert some phone number that is spoken at record speed it takes 4 re-listenings to get the number.]...... Thanks..... look forward....... in ... speaking.... to.... you."

Really?  90% of the time the phone number is the most important part of the damn message and yet it's often the one people rush through so fast I can't understand what they are saying.

• Options

Do I look like a garbage disposal?

I swear that's my job. I'm the office garbage disposal. I should put that in my email signature and see if anyone notices.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards