Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Cabo or Cancun Wedding

Hi. So we are planning a destination wedding for January 2017. I have been to Cancun and loved it but not Cabo. We like traveling and have been all over the Caribbean. My question is how different is Cabo and will I still get those gorgeous pictures you get in Cancun on the beach? If anyone has gotten married in Cabo, specifically the Riu Palace, I would love any information. I am just nervous to go somewhere else when I know Cancun is beautiful but we like to go to new places. Also would like things for the guests to do which I know Cancun is endless so I am wondering if Cabo is the same? Thanks!

Re: Cabo or Cancun Wedding

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    Mexico is a very difficult place in which to get married.  There are required X-rays and blood tests, and physical exams by a Mexican physician.  I wouldn't worry so much about atmosphere and pictures - worry about the legal issues.  There are many other Caribbean destinations that will give you your lovely pictures, and you can easily be married there.

Mexican requirements for foreigners being married in Mexico:

Residency requirement: None.

Medical requirements – A blood test is necessary for blood type, V.D.R.L., HIV, and Rh factor. It must be done within 14 days previous to getting married.  In some states, a chest x-ray is required for tuberculosis.  The tests must be done in Mexico, with the results in Spanish. Tests from outside of Mexico are not acceptable.

Witnesses – You’ll need four witnesses, two for the bride and two for the groom, all at least 18 years of age. (In some states, you may need only two total.) They will need some valid form of ID, and you’ll need to know their name, age, nationality, home address, and occupation. In many instances, if you are bringing your own witnesses, hotels will insist that the bride, groom, and witnesses arrive three days before the ceremony.

Previous marriages – Most states require that the bride and groom cannot remarry until they have been divorced for at least a year. But this varies, so if it is an issue do check. If either bride or groom is widowed, a death certificate is needed.

Required Documents

U.S. and Canadian citizens do not need passports to enter Mexico, but they do need them to legally marry.  UK citizens need a passport and tourist permit, but not a visa. With the exception of your passport and tourist permit, all necessary documents must be legalized, which is another way of saying authenticated, by the appropriate jurisdiction in your home country, legalized by the nearest Mexican consulate in your home country, and translated into Spanish by a certified Spanish translator.

For U.S. and UK citizens, in order for the necessary documents to be legalized, they must have an apostille affixed to them.

Bring original and certified copies of all your documents, but give up only the copies, as they will not be returned. If you are using a local wedding coordinator, send the copies to them at least 30 days ahead of time.

I would strongly suggest that you plan your beautiful wedding to be at home, and them go to Cabo for your honeymoon.  It will be easier for your guests.  If your heart is set on a destination wedding, then Jamaica or the Dominican Republic are much easier!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I've been to both places multiple times. I think you'll be disappointed with Cabo if you want crystal blue waters and soft sand beaches. Plus, depending on where you/your guests are located, Cabo might be more expensive to fly into. 

It sounds like you travel a lot and the Caribbean is a meaningful place to you. I suggest getting married somewhere that is meaningful to you and a known quantity. Plus, guests may be more willing to travel for your wedding (assuming it's your actual, legal wedding) if they know it's a special place for you. 

• Options

I much prefer Cabo to Cancun, but the riu palace is outside of Cabo. You will need to take a taxi into Cabo to do anything, and that road is not the safest. The beach is very nice, but the water is not swimmable there.

IN cabo there are things to do. Not as much as Cancun, but still markets, bars, etc.

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Mexico is a very difficult place in which to get married.  There are required X-rays and blood tests, and physical exams by a Mexican physician.  I wouldn't worry so much about atmosphere and pictures - worry about the legal issues.  There are many other Caribbean destinations that will give you your lovely pictures, and you can easily be married there.

Mexican requirements for foreigners being married in Mexico:

Residency requirement: None.

Medical requirements – A blood test is necessary for blood type, V.D.R.L., HIV, and Rh factor. It must be done within 14 days previous to getting married.  In some states, a chest x-ray is required for tuberculosis.  The tests must be done in Mexico, with the results in Spanish. Tests from outside of Mexico are not acceptable.

Witnesses – You’ll need four witnesses, two for the bride and two for the groom, all at least 18 years of age. (In some states, you may need only two total.) They will need some valid form of ID, and you’ll need to know their name, age, nationality, home address, and occupation. In many instances, if you are bringing your own witnesses, hotels will insist that the bride, groom, and witnesses arrive three days before the ceremony.

Previous marriages – Most states require that the bride and groom cannot remarry until they have been divorced for at least a year. But this varies, so if it is an issue do check. If either bride or groom is widowed, a death certificate is needed.

Required Documents

U.S. and Canadian citizens do not need passports to enter Mexico, but they do need them to legally marry.  UK citizens need a passport and tourist permit, but not a visa. With the exception of your passport and tourist permit, all necessary documents must be legalized, which is another way of saying authenticated, by the appropriate jurisdiction in your home country, legalized by the nearest Mexican consulate in your home country, and translated into Spanish by a certified Spanish translator.

For U.S. and UK citizens, in order for the necessary documents to be legalized, they must have an apostille affixed to them.

Bring original and certified copies of all your documents, but give up only the copies, as they will not be returned. If you are using a local wedding coordinator, send the copies to them at least 30 days ahead of time.

I would strongly suggest that you plan your beautiful wedding to be at home, and them go to Cabo for your honeymoon.  It will be easier for your guests.  If your heart is set on a destination wedding, then Jamaica or the Dominican Republic are much easier!
    I actually disagree that it's "very difficult" to get married in Mexico (at least if you haven't previously been married).  We got legally married there, and our blood test was done onsite at our resort and took about five minutes, and our resort also took care of getting our certificate apostilled.  And if any of our guests weren't there three days in advance (we had about 20 who were, so no problem), the resort offered to provide witnesses.  

So it's totally doable without taking much time or effort if you have a resort or wedding planning to coordinate the details. :)
  • Options
    I like to see posts like this one!    @saric83, do you mind telling us the name of the resort that was so helpful to you?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We were at Beach Palace in Cancun, and I think all of the Palace Resorts offer the same help.  It was lovely to not have to worry about everything and pretty much just show up. :)
  • Options
    I agree that Cancun is better in a lot of ways, but I would go to Riviera Maya 30-40 min, south of cancun.
    Spring Break 2013
  • Options
    @saric83 That makes me feel so much better that it was easy! We decided on Beach Palace in Cancun as well!
  • Options
    Which location is it easier to get married at? Like a PP mentioned, different locations have different requirements for getting married.
  • Options
    Anyone familiar with weddings at Moon Palace in Cancun?
  • Options
    Anyone familiar with weddings at Moon Palace in Cancun?
    I recommend opening a new post to request information on this resort. Some people may not respond since Moon Palace is not mentioned in the title.

Also, it's highly recommended that you change your username as to not attract spam. 

• Options
    Closing- zombie and OP is no longer active. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards