Chit Chat
Options

S/O Post- Thoughts on Birth Control?

Re: S/O Post- Thoughts on Birth Control?

• Options
    @PrettyGirlLost haven't been to a dermatologist yet - that's next on my list of appointments to make. I have a couple of moles I need looked at and I'm also going to bring up the skin issues I'm having. I'll probably still get the IUD removed and go back on the pills anyway, because skin issues alone I could handle but I can't handle the violent mood swings I've had and intense cramping and pain (that I never got while I was on the pill). 
  • Options
    @PrettyGirlLost haven't been to a dermatologist yet - that's next on my list of appointments to make. I have a couple of moles I need looked at and I'm also going to bring up the skin issues I'm having. I'll probably still get the IUD removed and go back on the pills anyway, because skin issues alone I could handle but I can't handle the violent mood swings I've had and intense cramping and pain (that I never got while I was on the pill). 
    Oh I don't blame you!

Be careful, some women get acne flare ups while on BCP  ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Oh I don't blame you!

Be careful, some women get acne flare ups while on BCP  ><
    Surprisingly, my skin was much better the 10+ years I was on BCP. I'd get a breakout or two the week before my period but nothing major. I got my IUD in August and I'm now getting cystic acne on my jawline, neck and chest, along with continuous non-cystic acne on my face and my thighs/butt (TMI - sorry!). It's driving me bananas because I can't get a handle on it. 
  • Options
    For all of you ladies with IUDs (especially those without children); did you have to convince your doctor to "allow" you to have it? My doctor basically said they wouldn't do it because I didn't have children yet and there were risks if I wanted to become pregnant in the future. 
    This is my doctor's go to for birth control for EVERYONE. She said that most healthy women can get pregnant coming off of it. It's like the pill, it can take one cycle or a couple. 

I know they don't like to do the copper IUD unless you have had children, but even then, I know women who have one who don't have children.
  • Options
    I was on BCP for many years--from the time I was 18 until a few months before I got pregnant with DD.  Did not really have any issues, I was pretty fortunate.

After she arrived, I switched to Mirena at my 6 week postpartum appointment, because a) I was breastfeeding, and even though almost all reputable sources say BCP are fine with breastfeeding, I just didn't love the idea, and b) for the first time in my life, with being sleep-deprived and dealing with a newborn and everything, I had started forgetting pills.  My doctor said postpartum was actually a great time to get one (everything was still sort of "loose," for lack of a better term).

Insertion went fine.  I went back for the 30 day check, and it had been dislodged somewhat--neither DH nor I had felt a thing.  They reinserted it with visual confirmation on ultrasound, and it never gave me any trouble again.  3+ years later, we decided to go for #2, my doctor removed it, and I had a BFP the next month.  Got my second Mirena at my 6 week checkup after DS, and that was that.

Everyone is different, but when I'm on Mirena, my periods dwindle to almost nothing, which I LOVE. 

I don't know if this is true, but I had heard that doctors were initially reluctant to insert an IUD if you hadn't had kids because the insertion was tougher.

"Myth #3: Only women who have been pregnant can have an IUD.
    Also untrue. IUDs are safe and effective for all women regardless of their pregnancy history. However, the uterus must be a certain size for an IUD to fit. For most women who have never been pregnant the IUD will fit just fine, but doctors always check before insertion just to make sure. This is generally not an issue for a women who has been pregnant as the uterus never quite shrinks back down to its former size (just like everything else!)."

^^^ From some random blog, so I'm not saying whether it's true, just the reasoning I had previously heard.

• Options
    kvruns said:

I've been doing the temping/tracking through fertility friend since June as we are TTC. I don't trust the data that great since I know I take my temp later on the weekends than weekdays, and one day a week I'm up about 1.5 hours earlier than usual so it's all over the place.  I've said if I were using this method to avoid pregnancy it probably wouldn't work because my data is inconsistent.

I miss being on the pill. I never had an issue taking it and my skin was better and my periods lighter. I've also gained almost 10 lbs since going off of it although that might have to do with being happy the wedding was over and not caring about what I eat!

This is why I knew I couldn't do a temperature taking method.  I use (slight TMI alert) mucus and cervix observations, that don't rely on me waking up at a particular time.  Wouldn't happen:)

I don't do the uhhh internal checks of the c & m stuff. I know you can sort of check when you go to the bathroom but I haven't really noticed a correlation either. The one time I did get pregnant (ended up with early mc), when I look at my chart the temperature data doesn't seem to line up with having conceived so that was even more confusing.  I did buy the ovulation strips but I always forget to use them ahead of time
  • Options
    @Heffalump Everything you stated matches what my doctor told me so I'd say it's true! I think that as far as size - Skyla (hormonal) is the smallest IUD on the market and is absolutely marketed for women who have not had children, then Paragard (copper) is next on the size scale followed by Mirena (hormonal). I think Mirena is marketed more to women with children because of what you mentioned in regards to the size of your uterus but I know several women who have it who have never had kids.

FWIW for anyone thinking of getting an IUD but hasn't had kids. The "measurement" part of the process was more painful for me than the actual insertion. Don't ask me why...but insertion was a large pinch and measurement was like an even more painful prolonged pinch. My gyno prescribed Cervadil I think to help open my cervix but I don't know if it really helped or not. It's not the same for everyone and I think it makes a difference on how well practiced your doctor is with insertion. Post-insertion really sucked for me. I went home for the rest of the day and napped through the cramping. But I've had plenty of other friends who went in, got their IUD, and went straight back to work without issue.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, your responses are really interesting. I had been thinking about switching doctors and this is making me think that's a really good idea. Essentially my doctor had said he wouldn't do IUDs for women without children because of scarring risks and an increased likelihood of infertility. And that was pretty much the end of discussion with him. 

Follow up up since you've all been so helpful (and apologies in advance if this is prying) did any of you have trouble conceiving after coming off of the IUD? I know everyone's experience is different, but I'm curious since that was his big concern. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

I don't know if this is true, but I had heard that doctors were initially reluctant to insert an IUD if you hadn't had kids because the insertion was tougher.

"Myth #3: Only women who have been pregnant can have an IUD.
    Also untrue. IUDs are safe and effective for all women regardless of their pregnancy history. However, the uterus must be a certain size for an IUD to fit. For most women who have never been pregnant the IUD will fit just fine, but doctors always check before insertion just to make sure. This is generally not an issue for a women who has been pregnant as the uterus never quite shrinks back down to its former size (just like everything else!)."

^^^ From some random blog, so I'm not saying whether it's true, just the reasoning I had previously heard.

Are you saying I have a fat uterus??  ;)  

@charlotte989875 - It could be that he's not comfortable inserting them too, and doesn't want to risk scaring if he does it wrong.  But saying that to a patient might not sound so good, so he just suggests not doing them.  My GP doesn't do them (not sure why), but she referred me to the other GP in the clinic who does all of the IUD's for the clinic.  

For me, all of it sucked, and I had pretty bad cramps for the next couple of days.  I wouldn't have gone back to work - I laid on the couch with a hot pad, advil and generally made DH wait on me hand and foot.  The second time though, I was back to normal in about 1 hour.  I guess my body was used to it at that point

• Options
    It's been forever since I took the pill, but I did for years when I was younger with basically no issues. I've had the Mirena (hormonal) IUD since my 6-weekish post-partum appointment after my youngest was born. This entire time, I would have highly recommended it - and perhaps I still would. But! Now that the hormonal aspect of it seems to be wearing off (it's been 5.5 years, my periods are returning, I get a a tiny bit of acne now vs. none, etc.), I have to say that my sex drive has been incredibly high.

Now that could be coincidental, as there have been other things going on in my marriage that have impacted it in a positive way. But I do feel much more 'myself' lately and my libido is just through the roof. I plan on getting it removed and my husband is currently waiting on a vasectomy. For the time being, my doctor has advised my keeping this one in until he gets the all-clear ( her words: "it's still a foreign body in the uterus", and the five-year thing is quite conservative, so just like the copper ones in terms of efficacy, I suppose) but I don't think the hormones are doing much, if anything, at this point. And I like it!

I honestly don't know what I would choose if I were going for a non-hormonal method myself - diaphragm with spermicide maybe? Looking forward to the vasectomy!
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2016
    Thanks everyone, your responses are really interesting. I had been thinking about switching doctors and this is making me think that's a really good idea. Essentially my doctor had said he wouldn't do IUDs for women without children because of scarring risks and an increased likelihood of infertility. And that was pretty much the end of discussion with him. 

Follow up up since you've all been so helpful (and apologies in advance if this is prying) did any of you have trouble conceiving after coming off of the IUD? I know everyone's experience is different, but I'm curious since that was his big concern. 
    Is your doctor referring to scarring from an infection, or from the IUD itself?  I've read that the risk of uterine perforation is vanishingly low.  I think the old-old IUDs were associated with some increased risk of infection, but not the current crop. 

I could be wrong, but that seems like kind of a crap reason:  what if I already had one kid?  Would that make this alleged risk of infertility acceptable even if I wanted more kids because hey, at least I have one now?  Sorry, that reason doesn't seem to hold water.  Risk of infertility is risk of infertility, whether you have 0 kids or 5.  If they're not worried about it for women who already have kids, I don't think it's a factor for those who haven't.

To your second question:

Heffalump said:
    3+ years later, we decided to go for #2, my doctor removed it [the Mirena], and I had a BFP the next month. 

• Options
    nerdwife said:
    I just wanted to chime in here to say that I love BCP. Like, love it. I started taking it as a pretty young teenager because I got my period relatively young (at 11) but would only get it a couple times a year, so it was to help me be regular (when it is time for us to get pregnant, it will be time to figure out whether my irregular periods mean something bad for fertility, which I've already disucssed with my ob/gyn).  I also have mental illness and, without the pill, am an emotional nightmare the week or so leading up to my period. Basically, the pill is a lifesaver. 

I hate condoms - I don't want to be (or need to be) too graphic, but it is just so different. FI and I actually used condoms for the first six months of our relationship. I had briefly gone off the pill and wasn't on it at the beginning of our relationship and then we just kind of kept using them. Not using them anymore made a huge difference in our sex life, and I do not want to turn back.

I know a lot of people are anti-medicine in general, but I am the opposite of that. Medication has saved my life and saves lots of lives, and I just don't see it as a negative. I also feel a certain feminist pull towards the pill - like I shouldn't have to deal with how horrendous my period is without it, I shouldn't have to get it every month if I don't feel like it (like if I'm going on vacation or something), and I certainly shouldn't have to risk pregnancy if I'm not ready for it.

Oh, I would totally use an IUD if I was only using BCP for birth control and not for hormonal/emotional purposes. I remember to take my pill because I take other pills, but I can see it being much easier to not have to think about it at all.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I love BCP and will be sad when it's time to leave it, though also excited because babies!
    Hopefully your doctor asked, but have you had irregular periods during times not on BCP?  I had irregular periods at about the same age as you, and then was on BCP for cysts till I was 22.  When I came off, my periods were regular.
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    I just wanted to chime in here to say that I love BCP. Like, love it. I started taking it as a pretty young teenager because I got my period relatively young (at 11) but would only get it a couple times a year, so it was to help me be regular (when it is time for us to get pregnant, it will be time to figure out whether my irregular periods mean something bad for fertility, which I've already disucssed with my ob/gyn).  I also have mental illness and, without the pill, am an emotional nightmare the week or so leading up to my period. Basically, the pill is a lifesaver. 

I hate condoms - I don't want to be (or need to be) too graphic, but it is just so different. FI and I actually used condoms for the first six months of our relationship. I had briefly gone off the pill and wasn't on it at the beginning of our relationship and then we just kind of kept using them. Not using them anymore made a huge difference in our sex life, and I do not want to turn back.

I know a lot of people are anti-medicine in general, but I am the opposite of that. Medication has saved my life and saves lots of lives, and I just don't see it as a negative. I also feel a certain feminist pull towards the pill - like I shouldn't have to deal with how horrendous my period is without it, I shouldn't have to get it every month if I don't feel like it (like if I'm going on vacation or something), and I certainly shouldn't have to risk pregnancy if I'm not ready for it.

Oh, I would totally use an IUD if I was only using BCP for birth control and not for hormonal/emotional purposes. I remember to take my pill because I take other pills, but I can see it being much easier to not have to think about it at all.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I love BCP and will be sad when it's time to leave it, though also excited because babies!
    Hopefully your doctor asked, but have you had irregular periods during times not on BCP?  I had irregular periods at about the same age as you, and then was on BCP for cysts till I was 22.  When I came off, my periods were regular.
    Yes, the last time I was off, it took three months to get my period, and then I went back on. I think I went off simply because I ran out of pills and had an appointment coming up soon, plus I was single at the time. Of course, that's the moment I started dating FI and needed them more than ever.

Of course, I'm hoping that I'll be regular once I'm off to TTC and my body adjusts, but who knows. My doctor said that three months before we're ready to start trying, we'll sit down with her and go over everything, plus have bloodwork to see if something is amiss and do genetic testing. And update my vaccines. I hate needles so much so this is mildly horrifying, but I also love babies, so I will have to get over it.
  • Options
    I am also a pretty big fan of the BCP.

I started taking it at 16 to help with acne (it does help, not that it has cured it or anything...). I also used to get quite heavy periods (for a good 5-6 days) with lots of cramping the first day or two, to the point that I went home from school a few times I was in such pain. My period was pretty regular, but it would vary a few days each month.

On BCP my period is wayyyyy less heavy, lasts 4 days (and the first and last are quite minimal), rarely do I get cramps anymore, and I always know when it's coming. 

I do sometimes wonder if the hormones are dragging down my energy levels and my drive, but not enough to go off of it ;) (I had energy and drive after being on the pill for 5 years, so it is clearly the pill 10 years later?). I don't know what else I would feel comfortable using. 
  • Options
    I get worried because I haven't had a period in 2 months. My OBGYN said she's fine with it if I am. DH and I weren't sexually active with each other prior to marriage, so I was fine with it too. But now, I panic when I miss my period. I've taken pregnancy tests and they've all been negative. It just makes me nervous! That's part of why I've considered NFP. 

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I get worried because I haven't had a period in 2 months. My OBGYN said she's fine with it if I am. DH and I weren't sexually active with each other prior to marriage, so I was fine with it too. But now, I panic when I miss my period. I've taken pregnancy tests and they've all been negative. It just makes me nervous! That's part of why I've considered NFP. 

This makes zero sense to me. You're more likely to get pregnant using NFP!  You just need to get a grip! You've taken multiple pregnancy tests. They are negative. You are not pregnant. Changing your birth control won't fix your anxiety. 
    WOW, I must have been half asleep when I wrote that. That was not clear at all. Please disregard lol. If I got pregnant, whatever. DH and I would just have a baby sooner than expected. I would just rather have regular periods so I don't have to take a test every single time I miss. I'm going to talk to my OBGYN though, and see what my options are. A lower dose BCP might just do the trick.

ETF words

• Options

This makes zero sense to me. You're more likely to get pregnant using NFP!  You just need to get a grip! You've taken multiple pregnancy tests. They are negative. You are not pregnant. Changing your birth control won't fix your anxiety. 
    WOW, I must have been half asleep when I wrote that. That was not clear at all. Please disregard lol. If I got pregnant, whatever. DH and I would just have a baby sooner than expected. I would just rather have regular periods so I don't have to take a test every single time I miss. I'm going to talk to my OBGYN though, and see what my options are. A lower dose BCP might just do the trick.

ETF words
    Personally, I would be concerned only having my period every two months. I understood that you meant you would like the regularity of a period each month. It could be a lower dose BC or maybe a non-hormonal option. Definitely talk to your OBGYN.

• Options

ETF words
    Sure,  BCP will give you regularity.   Something to consider,  though ... there's a reason why you have 2 months between periods.  BCP will give you a clockwork cycle, but it won't fix the underlying problem (if there is one).  If you're able to find an obgyn that will work with you and your NFP charts to see what is causing the long cycles, that would likely help you conceive when you're ready to. 
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler, do you tend to be underweight? That can have an effect on regularity of cycles and it's often overlooked as a cause. Charting will help you see which part of your cycle tends to be too long and will help pinpoint a cause.
  • Options
    I was taking Loestrin for 6 months when I was 22, then tried the Depo shot. Ultimately I went off of any form of BCP after trying the Depo. Full disclosure, the Depo shot completely killed my sex drive, and that's something I'd heard other women experiencing as well. The main factor for going off of birth control though is that there's a strong history of breast cancer in my family, my mom passed away from it and I was worried about the excess hormones raising my already elevated risk. I know the research on the connection of birth control contributing to breast cancer goes back and forth, but why risk it? I'd be willing to try Paragard if I were ever to go back on some form of birth control, a non-hormonal copper IUD. 
  • Options

ETF words
    Sure,  BCP will give you regularity.   Something to consider,  though ... there's a reason why you have 2 months between periods.  BCP will give you a clockwork cycle, but it won't fix the underlying problem (if there is one).  If you're able to find an obgyn that will work with you and your NFP charts to see what is causing the long cycles, that would likely help you conceive when you're ready to. 
    I also would not like to not get my period every month- I just would rather have it and know I'm not pregnant and my body is working as it should, despite the inconvenience (which for me is pretty mild- I would definitely use BCP to skip periods if I had some of the bad symptoms described by others). Like I said in my post about using NFP, there are so many issues that hormonal birth control can mask (from more minor things like skin issues to major things like fertility issues) that I would just so much rather expose and deal with now rather than have heaped on at the already stressful time of wanting to have a baby.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

ETF words
    If you are on birth control pills, and are taking them as directed and on time, then the chances of you getting pregnant are pretty much zero because you aren't ovulating.  That's the whole point of taking BCP, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

ETF words
    I also would not like to not get my period every month- I just would rather have it and know I'm not pregnant and my body is working as it should, despite the inconvenience (which for me is pretty mild- I would definitely use BCP to skip periods if I had some of the bad symptoms described by others). Like I said in my post about using NFP, there are so many issues that hormonal birth control can mask (from more minor things like skin issues to major things like fertility issues) that I would just so much rather expose and deal with now rather than have heaped on at the already stressful time of wanting to have a baby.
    For skin issues, I don't view it as masking - I view it as treating. If the hormones from my period are causing acne breakouts, then BCP are treating the problem. If that's the case for me, then I will have to find another treatment option when we decide we're ready to start trying to get pregnant. I'm also aware that there may be an underlying fertility problem, so we'll be looking into that before we start trying.

Basically, I'm just pointing out that you can be on BCP while you're not trying to conceive and then, either when you're ready or a little before you're ready, go off. People do this all the time.

What other issues do you think BCP can "mask," particularly ones that you would not otherwise know? (like I know my periods are irregular, so I'm prepared to investigate when it's time)
  • Options
    nerdwife said:

ETF words
    For skin issues, I don't view it as masking - I view it as treating. If the hormones from my period are causing acne breakouts, then BCP are treating the problem. If that's the case for me, then I will have to find another treatment option when we decide we're ready to start trying to get pregnant. I'm also aware that there may be an underlying fertility problem, so we'll be looking into that before we start trying.

Basically, I'm just pointing out that you can be on BCP while you're not trying to conceive and then, either when you're ready or a little before you're ready, go off. People do this all the time.

What other issues do you think BCP can "mask," particularly ones that you would not otherwise know? (like I know my periods are irregular, so I'm prepared to investigate when it's time)
    Yeah, if you (general) have adult acne issues when you're not on hormonal BC, then that suggests that your natural hormone levels are at issue, and BC, in theory, would help regulate those hormone levels.

• Options
    nerdwife said:

Yeah, if you (general) have adult acne issues when you're not on hormonal BC, then that suggests that your natural hormone levels are at issue, and BC, in theory, would help regulate those hormone levels.
    Sorry, I think I explained what I mean by this more clearly in my longer response on this thread, or maybe it was on a different thread altogether... I went off birth control pills last year and had horrible, horrible face and especially body acne that required multiple interventions from my dermatologist to clear up (anti-fungal soap, special lotions, antibiotics etc.). My skin had never been oily prior to going on or while on birth control and then suddenly I was walking grease ball. I even waited six months before going to the dermatologist, on the advice of my doctor, to get all the birth control hormones out of my system/allow my body to readjust and see if it would clear up on its own, but something in my body chemistry had obviously permanently altered.

I am SO GLAD I found this out when I was nowhere near trying to get pregnant. In the six months of waiting to see if it cleared up on its own, plus three months of daily treatment before I really got it under control, I was pretty miserable both physically (my skin was itchy, red and sensitive all the time) and emotionally (it really killed my sex drive to feel so gross). That's just not how I want to feel when I'm trying to get pregnant, and the nine months it took to clear up would have been a huge wait if I'd gotten off the pill a month or two before wanting to TTC, like most doctors recommend. Plus for skin issues in particular a lot of methods dermatologists use to treat moderate to severe acne are not open to ladies trying to get pregnant. 

So I guess that's what I mean by "masking"- it's just covering up a problem I would want to know about well ahead of trying to get pregnant is all. In terms of other things BCPs can affect or "mask," there's really so much- digestive issues, metabolism issues, weight gain/loss, sex drive increases or decreases are all things I know my doctor has mentioned. 

• Options
    nerdwife said:

ETF words
    I also would not like to not get my period every month- I just would rather have it and know I'm not pregnant and my body is working as it should, despite the inconvenience (which for me is pretty mild- I would definitely use BCP to skip periods if I had some of the bad symptoms described by others). Like I said in my post about using NFP, there are so many issues that hormonal birth control can mask (from more minor things like skin issues to major things like fertility issues) that I would just so much rather expose and deal with now rather than have heaped on at the already stressful time of wanting to have a baby

I'll probably edit this later to get rid of boxes ....

Two reproductive issues that BCP can mask would be anovulatory cycles and a short luteal phase.   

I know plenty of women who get off BCP when they're ready to TTC and there are no issues.   I was just pointing that out to the PP who mentioned going 2 months without a period.  It may be a fluke ... it may be a sign that something else is up. 
  • Options
    mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    I love hearing everyone's experiences with different forms of birth control! My friends and I gab about it all the time haha.

I went on the pill when I was 15 or 16 because my periods gave me intense cramps to the point where I'd have to take at least one day off school each cycle. The pill made my periods more regular, lighter, and much less painful.

I went off the pill when I was 21 just to see what it was like to go ~au naturel~. My periods became a bit heavier/crampier than the were when I was on the pill, but not nearly as bad as they were before I went on the pill. My skin became more prone to breakouts, but my mental health improved with fewer mood swings & crying spells. I feel so much better mentally that, for me, it's worth the slight inconvenience of physical side effects.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards