Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Irrational/rational annoyances 02/03/16

The world doesn't revolve around me, but wish it would just once in a while it would.

back story - DH is in a family wedding at the end of April.   It's a Friday night.   They still haven't decided when the RD is going to be. Might be Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.      

DH's sister had a baby.  The christening could be the weekend before, of or weekend after the wedding.

I'm irrationally irritated that they do not have the foresight to think how their plans may effect us.    We would love to make plane reservations, but are waiting on them to firm up plans.       Note - we are the only OOT family members.  Most of them live within 10 miles of each other. That includes the in-law side also. Basically the fact that we have to fly in is often off their radars.

Rationally I know it's not about us.

What is your rational or irrational annoyances this hump day?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Irrational/rational annoyances 02/03/16

• Options
    oops, meant this to be in CC.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I had to double check that I was in a different board and not cc because I thought I just read this :)
  • Options
    LOL!   I posted my vent in CC.   I get that it's fairly selfish but it's a pattern of behavior that is starting to get annoying. 
  • Options
    I thought I had posted it on CC.  Then I realized I didn't.   I didn't want to be accused of abusing my mod powers by deleting this one or even closing it.   

• Options
    IMO - set your plans, if you make it to the christening, wonderful, if not, you can't be expected to take weeks at a time off for travel and people will understand!  If they want you there, they'll schedule it the weekend following the Friday night wedding...  It also helps them get their stuff together by setting your travel plans "We're flying in on Wednesday night, and out on Sunday eveningMonday AM".. 
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    IMO - set your plans, if you make it to the christening, wonderful, if not, you can't be expected to take weeks at a time off for travel and people will understand!  If they want you there, they'll schedule it the weekend following the Friday night wedding...  It also helps them get their stuff together by setting your travel plans "We're flying in on Wednesday night, and out on Sunday evening Monday AM".. 
    of course they will understand.  They always do.   

It's more that DH has the entire month of April off.  So we have flexibility on the front side of the wedding, not the back side because he has to get back to work.    If the christening is the weekend before we would fly out.  It's DH's home town, plenty of people to visit with during the week.  Some of my family is only 4 hours away, so we can visit them if we want.

Otherwise we would just take the red-eye the night before/morning of the rehearsal and leave a few days after the wedding.  Even if the christening is on the Sunday after the wedding we can attend and hit the late night flight back west if we want. Or just fly out the next day.   

If it's the weekend after I doubt we would attend the christening.

Since we are some-what flexible we just want to know so we can plan accordingly. 

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

What is your rational or irrational annoyances this hump day?
    This week....

Seeing a gofundme for a couple that were ALREADY married.

Seeing a post on youandyourwedding.co.uk for a bride having an 11.30am ceremony, followed by a meal, followed by a 4-5 hour gap until the evening party.  She was worried her guests would be "bored."  No shit Sherlock!!   One helpful bride suggested Pictionary, are you fucking joking!  Only one poster said she should maybe consider her guests.

Rant over xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards