Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress Regret

Alright, so I am now about 50 days away or so from my wedding. I started dress shopping about 3 months prior to the wedding (I know....not smart!). I ended up going to every dress shop in my city, I eventually found a gown at a small boutique.
It's an A-Line Allure, and is supposed to come in Feb 26th, exactly a month from my wedding.
Problem is, I'm now wishing I had a big ballgown, not an A-Line. Dress already paid for.
I've been debating putting a petticoat under it to give it flounce. I like this dress, I just feel it needs something.
Ideas?
Thoughts?
I'm starting to panic here...

Re: Dress Regret

• Options
    When you go to pick up your dress you can ask to try it on with a petticoat. Of course you could also call to see if they still have that dress in shop and go try it on with petticoat before your dress arrives too. What were the reasons you liked the dress?
  • Options
    Your dress is beautiful! If you're feeling like you need more "flounce" I'd suggest either a petticoat or a crinoline (or two) to give it more of the shape you're looking for. 

Also, think about why you chose this dress in the first place. How did it make you feel when you had it on? Waiting for it to come in can be hard and make you second guess your choices. If you really believe you won't be happy you can try and buy something off the rack in time for your wedding. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Well, I had fallen 100% in love with a different gown (pictured here with the Gold-Applique) that didn't fit me right. So then I tried the A-Line Allure gown on, which is more streamlined. Plus it feels incredibly comfy on. I wanted a more romantic/ethereal type look, but it was the closest I could get to that, and the comfort factor was huge because the Allure gown has no weight to it at all. My goal was to have my waist/bodice emphasized, thighs hidden, and a full skirt. And I'm looking at the pics thinking....'meh.'  

But the one I loved didn't fit me as well

• Options
    Both are beautiful but the second dress doesn't necessarily have that flounce either (and your boobs look amazing in the first!). Try it one with a petticoat or crinoline skirt, talk to the seamstress about maybe adding a belt to further emphasize your waist. This may just be nerves and once it's back on you're back in love. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It could be nerves, I paid for the dress a month ago and haven't heard anything from the dress boutique (which told me that the timeline was 'risky'), so that is definitely not helping. I think I'll try a petticoat under it. It definitely helps the bust   :D
  • Options
    FWIW, I love your dress! Especially the amazing low back. So pretty and it's very flattering. A-lines are nice and easy to move and dance in, and they balance a large or small bust because they're easy on the hips, and you look lovely!

I also understand your feelings of regret. I feel the same occasionally (I have a chiffon a-line halterneck dress) and I have moments of wishing I'd gone for a big poofy ball gown or a strapless fit n flare. Then I think, actually, when its all together on the day, hair and makeup done, veil
    on, new H next to me and smile on my face - i'll feel great no matter what I'm wearing. I'll also be glad I can pee independently (some ball gown styles can be very cumbersome)! 

That said, if you really have serious second thoughts then go to David's bridal and get an affordable alternative and then sell yours when it comes in. But don't make any quick decisions because you really look beautiful in your current dress.  
  • Options
    ^I think it's due to me wavering between wanting a dramatic dress, versus a classic/simple gown. And then there's the fact that the city I live in has only a couple stores with gowns. I even traveled to look around. Sigh. 
    A chiffon gown...that sounds super floaty! I think mine is made of a tulle type material except for the bodice which is lace.

On the bright side, I will be able to pee independently, that is true!  :D  Plus it's so comfy I'll be able to have fun.
    I did go out to Goodwill and found a petticoat? crinoline? I'm not quite sure what it is technically, but it was $1. Ha. When I go to my first fitting I'll try that with it and see if it poofs it out.

• Options
    Yeah, add a crinoline under it. David's Bridal also offers various "slips" (I don't know if that's technically the correct word) for under dresses. I think they have one that is a hoop slip, so it would hold the dress out without you having a lot of "poof" from a crinoline against your legs. But $1 is a good deal! 

As long as you feel pretty in the dress, stick with it! I have a long story about how I didn't end up wearing the wedding dress I bought (ended up wearing a borrowed one), and after that I have realized it's just a dress! You will still be beautiful on your wedding day :)
  • Options

Yep - just needs a crinoline underneath...  Really...  I'd order it now since you can get them online super cheap.  I never found mine to be uncomfortable nor hot under the dress.. 

That said - when you get the dress in, pick up a bouquet of flowers from the grocery store, tie a bow around them, trim the stems, and try it on with your veil/tiara/headpiece, and if for some reason you still don't love it, become a two-dress bride, run to David's and buy something off the rack that fits your vision.  Just roll with it.  Looking back on the day, I hated my dress and it really did set the tone for everything else.  Back then it wasn't common to be a "two dress bride" nor to sell the dress on ebay! or the other resale sites.  Trust your instincts.  If anything, check online at David's for their clearance dresses, if one jumps out to you, go for it!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    MesmrEwe said:

Yep - just needs a crinoline underneath...  Really...  I'd order it now since you can get them online super cheap.  I never found mine to be uncomfortable nor hot under the dress.. 

What type of crinoline/petticoat?  The $1 one I bought only has a tiny bit of poof at the very bottom. And for whatever reason this quote box won't let me type outside it. 

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016

I'd do the second one of those that way you can have some fun with the color!  But really, that one looks like it'd work the best given the look of your dress..  The others look like they'd work better for a more trumpeted style of dress instead of something that begins the flair at the waist and not lower by the hips... 

This is what mine looked like under my A-line wedding dress...  http://www.amazon.com/V-C-Formark-Crinoline-Underskirt-Petticoat-Wedding/dp/B00MXJ9VC4/ref=cts_ap_3_fbt

• Options
    lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    I too wanted a ball gown but went with an A-line with a full petticoat and some extra crinoline underneath. I am very happy with that decision because I got the look of the ball gown without feeling like I got swallowed up in the dress and I could maneuver quite well in it. I got swept up in the moment and bought my petticoat from David's bridal but you can probably get a cheaper one elsewhere like the links above. 

ETA to add: Wow I clicked the links above and they are WAAAAYYY less than what I paid so don't get your petticoat from David's Bridal... MesmrEwe's link looks just like mine and is like 1/4 the price I paid. Stupid wedding industry excitement haha...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I too wanted a ball gown but went with an A-line with a full petticoat and some extra crinoline underneath. I am very happy with that decision because I got the look of the ball gown without feeling like I got swallowed up in the dress and I could maneuver quite well in it. I got swept up in the moment and bought my petticoat from David's bridal but you can probably get a cheaper one elsewhere like the links above. 

ETA to add: Wow I clicked the links above and they are WAAAAYYY less than what I paid so don't get your petticoat from David's Bridal... MesmrEwe's link looks just like mine and is like 1/4 the price I paid. Stupid wedding industry excitement haha...
    I ended up going with the Ellames petticoat, it looks right, plus it's floor length. So hopefully it will be poofy enough!
  • Options

...just wait until you look at tiaras/headpieces/combs and veils online vs. bridal shops!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards