Wedding Reception Forum

Not sure how to incorporate my themes

Hi everyone

I'm getting married in 2018 in New York and I was wondering how to incorporate all of my themes.

I come from an Irish background so I want to incorporate some of that and I want some nautical themes as well because our reception is near the ocean and we're getting married in the fall so we want that in there as well.

I think our main theme is nautical/beach but we would just like to incorporate the other two into it. Such as having guests bless stones either at our church or at the reception, having fall colors to match with the nautical ideas and having our table decorations, invitations, etc based on nautical.

Has anyone done any of these themes and mixed them up with something else? Or can you suggest any ideas to combine the three?

Thanks
Lile

Re: Not sure how to incorporate my themes

• First of all, I, personally, hate overly themed weddings.  Your wedding is an important event all by itself.  It does not need a theme.  It is a wedding, not a prom.
    Since you mention being Irish, is this a Catholic wedding?  Catholic churches are strict about having any variations in their ceremony.
    The reception is a different matter.  You may have themes there if you must.  Certainly your color choice is up to you.  If you are Irish, orange may have some negative connotations to some older Irish people.  I would choose just one theme for the reception.  Otherwise, you will defeat the effect you are envisioning.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Hi everyone

I'm getting married in 2018 in New York and I was wondering how to incorporate all of my themes.

I come from an Irish background so I want to incorporate some of that and I want some nautical themes as well because our reception is near the ocean and we're getting married in the fall so we want that in there as well.

I think our main theme is nautical/beach but we would just like to incorporate the other two into it. Such as having guests bless stones either at our church or at the reception, having fall colors to match with the nautical ideas and having our table decorations, invitations, etc based on nautical.

Has anyone done any of these themes and mixed them up with something else? Or can you suggest any ideas to combine the three?

Thanks
    Lile
    I also think you are overthinking this concept of "themes".  When I think of nautical, I picture crisp navy and white colors. I also picture a summer wedding.  Fall colors and traditional fall symbols are in stark contrast to that. 

I googled "fall beach nautical theme" and frankly what showed up was pretty ugly.  Pumpkins were painted blue, sea shells and anchors were glued to pumpkins.

You have a long way until your wedding.  Your ideas and "vision" will settle down as the initial engagement excitement quiets.  Your theme is wedding.  You and your FI should sit down and decide on a few colors, and work them into your wedding party attire and flowers.  Once you have that decided, then you might be able to incorporate a few subtle personal touches.  Your favors could be chocolate 4 leaf clovers or some other homage to your Irish heritage.  You could incorporate a traditional Irish food into your cocktail or appetizer menu.

@CMGragain asked about your ceremony.  If you are having a Catholic ceremony you might consider incorporating an Irish hymn or bagpipes into your ceremony.

• I agree with PPs. You've got a lot of ideas going on that may not naturally fit well together. It might be worth it to take some time, do some Googling, and really try to figure out if it's worth it to try to squeeze all three together.

You might find it easier to just mix two of themes - such as Irish and nautical. You could use white and navy linens, and have vibrant colored flower arrangements that mimic the bright colors of Kinsale.  Or you could go fall and Irish, since fall colors are fall colors and you could bring in the Irish theme with claddagh symbols, etc.

I also really like the idea of incorporating "Irish" into your ceremony through music or readings, which might free up your reception to focus on a single motif. 
    Anniversary

• 00kim0000kim00 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    I had a similar issue. My husband is from another country so we had a lot of elements from his culture, our religion is very important to us, we love the outdoors and our wedding was at a camp-like venue, and I wanted something related to my Irish heritage. It sounds like a lot, but I think we pulled it off well. The Irishness was pretty discrete: I had a horseshoe pin on the back of my sash, carried a magic bonnet hanky with embroidered shamrocks in case I teared up, and wore an anklet with bells. I researched a lot of Irish traditions to find some I found meaningful and discrete, and I don't think anything I did was obvious enough to add more chaos into the mix. By the way, I agree with PP who warned against orange (in case you aren't already familiar with the connotations of that color), but be aware Irish tradition also avoids the color green in weddings, even though Americans often think that would be one of the easiest ways to look Irish.
  • Thanks ladies! We're just thinking of ideas at the moment as we know that's the three general themes we want to pull ideas from.

It is a catholic ceremony and we were thinking of bagpipes but wasn't too sure if our church would allow it or any Irish music that wasn't religious 
  • Thanks ladies! We're just thinking of ideas at the moment as we know that's the three general themes we want to pull ideas from.

It is a catholic ceremony and we were thinking of bagpipes but wasn't too sure if our church would allow it or any Irish music that wasn't religious 
    Typically, the music chosen for a Catholic ceremony does need to be liturgically approved.  However, each parish is different as to whether any "wiggle room" is permitted.  Speak with the parish ministry of music directly to see whether you can incorporate any selections into your ceremony.  They may at least allow for something just prior to the start of Mass, or immediately following the conclusion of the ceremony.
  • MobKaz said:
    Thanks ladies! We're just thinking of ideas at the moment as we know that's the three general themes we want to pull ideas from.

Typically, the music chosen for a Catholic ceremony does need to be liturgically approved.  However, each parish is different as to whether any "wiggle room" is permitted.  Speak with the parish ministry of music directly to see whether you can incorporate any selections into your ceremony.  They may at least allow for something just prior to the start of Mass, or immediately following the conclusion of the ceremony.
    The Catholic church where my daughter was married allowed for Irish musicians to play (we didn't use them). We attended the church's music fair for weddings and they (the Irish group) were awesome. There is part of the liturgy - the Alleluia, I think there is one that is Irish. I'm not Catholic so please excuse me if I'm not using the correct term.
  • There's a musical piece called The Sea Image (beautiful!) on The Chieftains' (Irish band) Greatest Hits album. 
  • I would include the Irish in verbal things--like perhaps a toast that is based on an Irish saying, or a quote/saying/proverb of some sort maybe printed on the programs or menus. Just a little touch here or there.

I think "Fall" and "nautical" can work fine for an overall theme. I'd focus your colors on navy blue, white, and earth tones/fall colors. Maybe navy bridesmaids, white paper products (invites, etc.) with navy writing) and earth toned/fall flowers throughout. Maybe you can incorporate some type of rope or knot here and there in the centerpieces or on the invites as well, to bring in the nautical aspect.

But as others have said, weddings don't need a 'theme'. Just think in terms of how you want the overall look to be.  
  • MobKaz said:
    Thanks ladies! We're just thinking of ideas at the moment as we know that's the three general themes we want to pull ideas from.

The Catholic church where my daughter was married allowed for Irish musicians to play (we didn't use them). We attended the church's music fair for weddings and they (the Irish group) were awesome. There is part of the liturgy - the Alleluia, I think there is one that is Irish. I'm not Catholic so please excuse me if I'm not using the correct term.
    Celtic Alleluia. Yep.
  • Thanks everyone!

The Irish is really important as my family came over from Ireland in the 1700's and we've had Irish traditions passed down through the generations. I think somewhere there's meant to be a family heirloom made of Irish lace but I've never seen it.

I would like my dress to feature some Irish lace and I would like some Bells of Ireland in my bouquet.

Colors we're looking at are navy (maybe orange) and some kind of sage color at the moment. But we do have 2018 to sort everything out.

This is just ideas really to help us pin point what we want. Best not go with my fiance' who wants the wedding to be based on football! 
  • Ireland is an island so it will be easy to blend your desire for Irish and nautical touches! Muted shades of green reference both the sea and the country, you could incorporate celtic knots/sailors knots in the decor, and of course Irish whiskey has crossover appeal. But I do think it's best to keep references simple and subtle, peppering in too much will seem contrived.

I think fall will be evident enough by it just being fall, I wouldn't add leaves or squash to the mix. A pretty palate of ivory, sage, and brown would be more appropriate to the time of year than the crisp white & navy look typically associated with nautical or the bright green typically associated with Irish. I also advise against orange, especially as an Irish Catholic, but to each their own.
  • few ideas pulled from pinterest

• Brilliant, thanks very much for that! I spend hours on Pinterest and there's just loads of ideas so I just need to incorporate the nautical and Ireland. Fall is going to be evident in New York because of the leaves and the fact it's October haha. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards