Chit Chat
Options

Cake after Wedding

I'm curious to see how many of you saved your cake for your one year? I thought about it for a hot second and then realized we drove straight from the wedding venue to our flight to Hawaii for a week and there was no place to keep it. We spent the next day on the mountain and after a day of snowboarding we busted that sucker out and ate a lot of it with some friends, then gave the rest to the grandparents because grandpa has a sweet tooth.

My thought is this.. how good is cake really after a year? I will just go back and buy another one because damn it was good!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake after Wedding

• Options
    I'm curious to see how many of you saved your cake for your one year? I thought about it for a hot second and then realized we drove straight from the wedding venue to our flight to Hawaii for a week and there was no place to keep it. We spent the next day on the mountain and after a day of snowboarding we busted that sucker out and ate a lot of it with some friends, then gave the rest to the grandparents because grandpa has a sweet tooth.

My thought is this.. how good is cake really after a year? I will just go back and buy another one because damn it was good!

We didn't. We had two cheesecakes and cupcakes. After our wedding, there was a lot of family and friends around a lot so we just ate as much as we could and offered to people stopping by and threw away the rest.

I meant to order a cheesecake for our anniversary but forgot. Oh well.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    We have ours in the freezer. I can't believe it's been in there for almost a year! I don't know how good it will be (probably not very), and I'm not sure why that's one of the few traditions we did. We'll probably have fresh cake as well! I'll sure be glad to get a little bit of freezer space back in a couple months.
  • Options
    we probably won't.  We're having a OOT wedding, so it won't be worth the transportation.  I'm all for buying a new one when once we're back in NY though. Cannoli cake ftw.

• Options
    We did this - and waited until our first weekend in our new home (almost two months after our first anniversary) to eat it. Surprisingly, it wasn't gross. Our baker is renowned in the Boston area and not only did the cake hold up, but the frosting was super delicious!
  • Options
    We saved it.  It was really important to my mom, and she made our cake so..

She did take it from the reception, wrapped it and stored it till the next time she saw us after our honeymoon.  

The frosting was excellent.  The cake was a bit dry, but I think all cake tends to be dry.  We each had a normal piece, then I ate all the frosting.
  • Options
    Our wedding was OOT.   We ate some of the cake the next day then through the rest away.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

We saved ours and like scribe, wrapped it super tight and it was as fresh as our wedding day!  It was kind of annoying to keep for the year because I could have used that freezer space some days! We had a rather large top tier.

We ate that cake for most of the week as well.  We did give some to my parents, because they did not get any wedding cake!   My mom also commented on how good it tasted a year after the fact.

• Options
    They sent us home with a container full of leftover cake when the reception ended. We completely forgot it in the hotel room fridge!!!! :( So I only ever got my one bite of cake.

We completely forgot about having our top tier re-made for our 1 year anniversary but I'm sure it would have been delicious whether we had frozen it or had it re-made fresh.

• Options
    We didn't. I had my sister take the top tier to her work for the teachers. DH and I ate the other cake leftovers the week before we left on our honeymoon.

We got a taster cake in our wedding cake flavors and shared it on our first anniversary. We plan on doing the same thing every year.
  • Options
    We had a ton of leftover cake (but got lots of compliments so whatev!) Ate a bunch the next day, my Mom wrapped up the top tier and saved it in her freezer. My brother house sat for them in the following weekend and ate the entire thing (Why doesn't the rest of the family get his super fast metabolism?!?!?)

Our wedding cake is actually what my in laws get my husband for his birthday every year so I'll be having the "same" cake" in March as well as my anniversary in June.

• Options
    MIL accidentally left the top of our cake in her car overnight after the wedding, and she wanted to toss it the next day. We kept it anyway, along with the two alternative cake tops she made (she made the cake, and wanted options for the top layer). We busted out one of the cakes a few months ago (I think the one that was left out overnight) and ate it, and it was still quite good. The other two are in our freezer, in vacuum packs, and it looks like they'll make it to our anniversary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We saved ours! My mom took it to her house and wrapped it up very tightly and then probably 1000 layers of saran wrap and kept it in her freezer. We thawed it out for our anniversary and it was actually still very fresh and was delicious!

• Options
    We saved our cake for our first anniversary. We got married at a winery that has its own restaurant, so they wrapped our cake up nice and tight for us and kept it in their freezer until we came back from our mini-moon. We took it out on our anniversary weekend and it was surprisingly pretty tasty. It didn't taste fresh by any means but it was good. I'm glad we did it.
  • Options
    I got married on a Carnival Cruise ship, and you aren't allowed to take food off the ship, so we couldn't keep top layer.  But, we chowed down on that cake all week during the cruise. They brought it out to us every night at dinner until it was gone... or we could request room service to bring some to our room at any time we wanted a snack.  And, FYI, they make some really awesome cake... we've already decided that we need to order a cake on each future cruise, even if there is not special occasion.

• Options
    We didn't save ours, a few friends told us don't even bother, but from the looks of PPs, they probably didn't wrap it correctly.

H wanted to save it, but we ultimately decided to have some that night and give the rest away the next morning. I didn't have any though, just the nibble he gave me during the cake cutting made me sick the rest of the night.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    we had cupcakes and a cutting cake so no tier to save but even if we had one we wouldn't have saved it. Our plan is just to get another small cake from the bakery each year, mostly because we love their cake and it is a good excuse to get one.
  • Options
    We saved our top tier for our first anniversary. It was disgusting. I took one bite and threw it away. I had forgotten it at the reception hall so my mom wrapped it in tin foil !!!! and put it in her freezer while we were on our honeymoon.

• Options
    We didn't save any of our either. We did a small cutting cake and cupcakes, so saving it was never the plan. But I am planning to go back to our bakery for our anniversary and get the chocolate cake.

But honestly, my H doesn't like to keep things around so I doubt the cake would have survived for a full year in our freezer.
  • Options
    We won't. I'll have the baker make a new one at the year. My brothers saved theirs and they said it was nasty 
  • Options
    We didn't. Our baker did a thing where she recreates the top layer for your first anniversary. 

My parents hosted everyone the next day, so they served the rest of the cake there. The recreated top layer was damned good on our anniversary. 
  • Options
    I thought the reason people traditionally kept the top tier was to have at the christening of their first child? No idea where I got this idea - anyone know if it's true? Traditionally speaking, not necessarily these days!

• Options
    We didn't want to pay for a whole other layer to save, so we didn't.  I don't really regret not freezing some wedding cake, but I WOULD like to call up our wedding cake guy and order some more for our 3rd anniversary.  It was so delicious!  He also made us a tiramisu too which was amazing.

I'm actually kind of bummed I didn't get to eat much of the cake.  I wish we'd been able to bring a little home as leftovers.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I thought the reason people traditionally kept the top tier was to have at the christening of their first child? No idea where I got this idea - anyone know if it's true? Traditionally speaking, not necessarily these days!
    Never heard of that, maybe it's a regional thing? I have always heard of saving it for your first wedding anniversary.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't, but we didn't even think of it at the wedding.  I have no idea what happened to it.  I hope the staff enjoyed some.  Not sure we could have brought it back over the border anyway

• Options
    We were OOT for the wedding, so couldn't bring the cake or cupcakes back with us. So we stuffed ourselves with as much as we could prior to returning home, and my brothers finished off the cupcakes. 
  • Options
    I found the pic of our 1 year old top layer.  The green and orange around it are ribbon.  The fondant flowers lasted pretty good too!

• Options
    I've heard this a few times though typically just hear of having it on 1 year anniversary
  • Options
    We kept ours. H wasn't impressed, but I thought it was still pretty good. It was red velvet, though, so quite dense.
  • Options
    We didn't save ours. The baker who did our cake does mini-cakes. I ordered one in the flavor of our wedding cake for Valentine's Day and may do so again for anniversaries. For me that seems like a better option than keeping an old cake around in our freezer. 
  • Options
    This may be British - I've always heard this was the tradition as well
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards