Wedding Reception Forum

Invitation Wording

BiaPage2BiaPage2 member
First Comment
edited February 2016 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hi!  My fiance and I are starting to put together/order our invites and we seem to be stuck at a bit of a road block.  We are splitting the costs of our wedding 50/50 with my (the bride) parents - so we feel a little stuck on the wording of the invite since it is not "together with their parents" or "the parents of ____ request your presence".  Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have any suggestions or ideas regarding this?  I know "together with their parents" is not going to sit well with my parents since they are contributing a considerable amount of $......is that a little bratty? yes but I also kind of understand northern NJ weddings are very expensive.  My fiance's parents have also not helped or really made our wedding process easy - we can't have a rehearsal dinner because they can't really be trusted to be in a small room together and they haven't done much except complain when we asked them to cut their lists down so I guess part of me doesn't want to give them that much credit either. I'm just so torn I will of course have their names on the invite they are his parents and I do love them but I was just hoping for maybe a different way to word that part of the invite.  Any suggestions :/:s

Re: Invitation Wording

• It depends on who is actually hosting. Hosting doesn't equal paying though. If your parents  are doing the job of host (keeping track of RSVP, being a point person for guests questions, making decisions about the wedding) they are hosting along with you. There would be nothing wrong with the traditional wording of an invitation (brides' parents request the honour of your presence) or together with their parents if your FILs are doing any hosting duties.

Once you decide on the wording, post it here to have it proofed!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    This would be the traditional wording:

Mr. and Mrs. John Bridesparents
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Bridegroom's Full Name

Day, date
    time o'clock

Venue
    Address
    City, State  (No zip!)

The bride and groom never take direct credit on the invitation for hosting their own wedding.  I think you should simply name your parents as the hosts.  Hosting isn't really all about money, but I think they should get hosting credit for this.  It is not necessary to name anyone else on the invitation except the hosts and the honorees (the bridal couple).  It is nobody's business who pays for what.

You should have posted this on the Invitations board.  I almost missed it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • BiaPage2 said:
    Hi!  My fiance and I are starting to put together/order our invites and we seem to be stuck at a bit of a road block.  We are splitting the costs of our wedding 50/50 with my (the bride) parents - so we feel a little stuck on the wording of the invite since it is not "together with their parents" or "the parents of ____ request your presence".  Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have any suggestions or ideas regarding this?  I know "together with their parents" is not going to sit well with my parents since they are contributing a considerable amount of $......is that a little bratty? yes but I also kind of understand northern NJ weddings are very expensive.  My fiance's parents have also not helped or really made our wedding process easy - we can't have a rehearsal dinner because they can't really be trusted to be in a small room together and they haven't done much except complain when we asked them to cut their lists down so I guess part of me doesn't want to give them that much credit either. I'm just so torn I will of course have their names on the invite they are his parents and I do love them but I was just hoping for maybe a different way to word that part of the invite.  Any suggestions :/:s

The groom's parents do not belong on the invitation unless they are hosting.  The invitation is not a family tree.  It is not an honor to be on the invitation.  Honor his parents on the program, if you have one, or at the reception with a toast.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards