Wedding Reception Forum

Science-themed decorations

We're having our reception at the local science museum, so we don't need a ton of decorations. The coordinator there said most people just use table decorations. I'd like to have some fun, science-themed table decorations, and maybe some fun interactive science kits on smaller tables around the reception area (they do have small tables they are willing to leave out during the reception). Any thoughts on how to accomplish this without bordering too much on cheesy and super theme-y?

Re: Science-themed decorations

• We're having our reception at the local science museum, so we don't need a ton of decorations. The coordinator there said most people just use table decorations. I'd like to have some fun, science-themed table decorations, and maybe some fun interactive science kits on smaller tables around the reception area (they do have small tables they are willing to leave out during the reception). Any thoughts on how to accomplish this without bordering too much on cheesy and super theme-y?
    No.  Your wedding theme is "marriage."  Your venue already screams science, why would you want to go overboard?
  • @adk19 That's why I asked for ideas that WOULDN'T be theme-y. I'm just thinking of something cute that wouldn't look out of place in a science museum. I don't want to go over the top with decorations.
  • @adk19 That's why I asked for ideas that WOULDN'T be theme-y. I'm just thinking of something cute that wouldn't look out of place in a science museum. I don't want to go over the top with decorations.
    Candles in test tubes rather than vases?  A magnifying glass?  Though, honestly, I think you should just go with flowers or candles or whatever you'd do if your wedding was at the VFW or a hotel ballroom instead.  Would you decorate with military paraphenalia if your wedding was at the VFW?  Would you decorate with beds and small containers of shampoo and conditioner if your wedding was at a hotel?
    I'd just stick with normal wedding decorations rather than strive for a "cute" tie-in to your venue.  You chose the science museum presumably because something about it made it an appealing place to hold your reception, such as a big open area or some interesting exhibit.  I'd just use that as a backdrop and let it go at that.
  • Prisms and lasers is something I thought about as I was walking to lunch, but I don't think you want people pointing lasers at your forehead while you're eating or at your bootie when you're dancing.  Or just look up Magic Schoolbus, that show has all kind of cute science boxes available for purchase on amazon.  I bought one for FH's niece last Christmas.  But you start getting into kitsch territory and it looks like you're trying too hard.  I like LondonLisa's suggestion; it puts a slightly science-y twist on a standard decoration.  I think you should let the science museum be the venue and NOT the decor.
  • adk19 said:
    wink0erin said:
    I dig the flowers in test tubes (or beakers) idea. Maybe have table cards that name/number each table after constellations or elements. 
    Ooooh, make your seating chart look like the periodic table of elements.
    I love both of these ideas! Cute, won't clash with the setting, but not over the top theme. 

I also lol'd at the lasers, hilarious idea, but I could totally see that getting out of hand, especially after people had a few drinks!
  • I went to a wedding where they had a scientific poster, like you'd see at a scientific conference, that gave info on the couple and the venue/event (I don't think it was actually the seating chart though). It was really cute, because they were both science PhD's. 
  • Thanks for all of the ideas!  I didn't want to go nuts with the science idea, but also didn't want decorations that would look out of place in a museum. 
  • What kind of science?  There are lots:  astronomy, biology, chemistry...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards