Connecticut

Are kids welcome at your wedding?

Are kids welcome at your wedding? If not, how did you ask your guest not to bring their kids. Last, is this done inside the invitation?

Re: Are kids welcome at your wedding?

• The only kids we are inviting are FI's nephews and niece.  Don't say anything about who is not invited on the invitation.  Just be clear who the invitation is for: Mr and Mrs invited guest.  There are lots of threads about this on the invite board if you want to see what other people did.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks you Laurad75 Im going to search them now.
  • Ditto PP.

The way you don't invite kids is to simply not put them on the envelope.

You can take it a step further and hand write the response cards so a guest just checks __accepts or __declines next to his/her name.

Just like you wouldn't broadcast any other group that you're excluding, you shouldn't write anywhere that you aren't inviting kids.

I think this is really situation dependent.   We invited kids to our wedding and it was just fine.   It was at the Stone Barn in Monroe, the receptions started at 4 and the families with kids were the early ones to leave.   No big deal.

In other families, there can be that ONE group of kids that would knock your cake down and not turn around to see what happened.   Luckily we didn't have to worry about that with our circle. 
  • thank you so much @banana468 talking about kids....your kids are gorgeous. :)
  • Thank you!

BTW, it's also fine to invite in circles.   We invited the children of cousins (neither sibling had kids at the time we tied the knot) but we didn't invite the children of friends.   They aren't an all or nothing group and inviting in circles can be a way to keep numbers down. 
  • In proper etiquette they actually say that you should not include anything like "no kids or adult reception" on the invitations you should actually just tell people and have the word spread around me personally I will be putting "Adult only reception to follow" on the reception card. In other case you approach the situation delicately with something cute and thoughtful like While we love to watch the children run and play, this is an is an adult's only theme.
  • In proper etiquette they actually say that you should not include anything like "no kids or adult reception" on the invitations you should actually just tell people and have the word spread around me personally I will be putting "Adult only reception to follow" on the reception card. In other case you approach the situation delicately with something cute and thoughtful like While we love to watch the children run and play, this is an is an adult's only theme.
    If you know it's bad etiquette (aka rude), why would you do it?  Further, why would you suggest other people do something rude?

Adding a cute line only makes people with kids like me roll our eyes.   I'd probably reach out and say, "If this is an adults only theme should DH and I wear our Eyes Wide Shut cloaks?" 
  • Adult theme does make me think something dirty.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards