Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gifts

I'm looking for some advice on what to get my bridesmaids. I'm already planning on getting them necklaces to wear in the wedding, from what I've read so far that's not really considered a gift. So I was thinking of adding in some other things not wedding related either passes to the movies, coffee gift cards, spa gift cards,  and/or chocolates from this great chocolate place. I also wanted to do a little something more for my maid of honor. If anyone has an opinion of the things I've listed so far that would be great as well as any other suggestions or ways to complement the things I've already listed I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts

• FutureG said:
    I'm looking for some advice on what to get my bridesmaids. I'm already planning on getting them necklaces to wear in the wedding, from what I've read so far that's not really considered a gift. So I was thinking of adding in some other things not wedding related either passes to the movies, coffee gift cards, spa gift cards,  and/or chocolates from this great chocolate place. I also wanted to do a little something more for my maid of honor. If anyone has an opinion of the things I've listed so far that would be great as well as any other suggestions or ways to complement the things I've already listed I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    It's hard to really say what they'd like without knowing their personalities and interests. It's like picking out a b-day gift. It's hard for me to say what a stranger might like. If you share a little about interests, we might be able to help you get creative. 

That said, movies, coffee, spa and chocolate are all great gifts for people that are interested in those things. Most of my friends are drunks, so I ended up shopping for a lot of booze and specialty glassware. My MOH got concert tickets because I wanted to get her something extra, and she's huge into "experience" gifts. 
  • FutureG said:
    Without actually knowing these people, how can we suggest gifts? What are their hobbies and passions? What do they like? Shop like it's their birthday and pick something that fits them as individuals.
  • Agree with PP, hard to help without knowing tastes. 
    I chose individual clutches for my bridesmaids (not identical, each suited to their style). My friend also did clutches when I was her BM and I use that bag all the time. I appreciate things that are useful. 

I'm actually in the seeming minority that likes jewelry (individualized to taste) as gifts. Stuff that doesn't need to be worn at the wedding. I recently received a handmade necklace that's cute and I wear with a fair amount of frequency. 
    There's a restaurant group called Lettuce Entertain You that oversees dozens of good restaurants in my area and in other parts of the country. I've received LEY gift cards for various occasions and love those. 

Wine, chosen for each person's taste (Riesling for one, Malbec for another- what they like/prefer) would be nice too, I'd think. 

• A book for the bookworm.  A cute scarf for the fashionista.  A yoga mat carrier for the yogi.  These are the kinds of gifts you give to your bridesmaids if you really want them to appreciate their gifts.  You know your friends, we don't.
  • My girls are getting these personalized gifts! I literally cannot wait until they open them. As the wedding draws nearer, I'm going to be getting something else as well. http://littlewordsproject.com/

• geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    My girls are getting these personalized gifts! I literally cannot wait until they open them. As the wedding draws nearer, I'm going to be getting something else as well.

SITB

How old are your BMs? Because I can't see a grown woman being excited about wearing these. They definitely look like something preteens would give to each other.
  • My girls are getting these personalized gifts! I literally cannot wait until they open them. As the wedding draws nearer, I'm going to be getting something else as well. http://littlewordsproject.com/

That is the opposite of personalized.

Generic trinkets are bad gifts. 
  • My girls are getting these personalized gifts! I literally cannot wait until they open them. As the wedding draws nearer, I'm going to be getting something else as well. Edited bc I think this is a vendor or at least someone affiliated
    This is the kind of thing you make in camp in elementary school, not something to show your nearest and dearest your appreciation. Unless your bridesmaids are all 13, then go right ahead and get them this generic trinket you can make with fishing line and beads and they would look pretty much identical. If anyone here was in your bridal party and they got it I'm sure they'd have a hard time hiding their disappointment. You want to give them something that matches their personality, their gifts don't have to match or be the same thing, but they should show that you at least know these people as people and not props.

OP, this is literally the opposite of what you should be giving your bridal party as a gift.
  • HonorBlossomHonorBlossom member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Here is a list of some of their interests: Tea, aromatherapy, stress relief, books, spa services, fashionista, wine, whiskey, cheese, gardening, coffee, baking and artsy.
  • FutureG said:
    Here is a list of some of their interests: Tea, aromatherapy, stress relief, books, spa services, fashionista, wine, whiskey, cheese, gardening, coffee, baking and artsy.
    I don't think you need our help.  If you know all this, just go buy them something that fits in one of the categories.  The gifts don't have to be original, just individualized.  Buy looseleaf tea, essential oils, books, spa gift cards or personal spa products, scarves and bracelets, wine, whisky, fancy French cheese, herb seeds and garden gloves, freshly roasted whole bean coffee, Blick giftcard.  Buy what they are most likely to use; so rather than a super expensive silk scarf, get an everyday cute scarf from Old Navy.  Have fun with this.  I'd love this kind of shopping list.
  • Thanks for the opinion! I actually just thought they were really cute! :)
  • Thanks for the opinion! I actually just thought they were really cute! :)
    That's fine, but I think the key consideration should be whether your bridesmaids also think they're really cute - otherwise it's kind of a worthless gift.
  • adk19 said:
    FutureG said:
    I don't think you need our help.  If you know all this, just go buy them something that fits in one of the categories.  The gifts don't have to be original, just individualized.  Buy looseleaf tea, essential oils, books, spa gift cards or personal spa products, scarves and bracelets, wine, whisky, fancy French cheese, herb seeds and garden gloves, freshly roasted whole bean coffee, Blick giftcard.  Buy what they are most likely to use; so rather than a super expensive silk scarf, get an everyday cute scarf from Old Navy.  Have fun with this.  I'd love this kind of shopping list.

Ditto this.  You already know what to get your friends.  I would also tell your friends to wear whatever jewelry they want to your wedding.  No one will notice, I promise!  I did this for my BMs and I can't tell you who was wearing what.  Then you can take your current budget for their necklaces and add it to their BM gift budget. 

I did by each BM a necklace, but it was to fit their own tastes and styles.  It was not expected of them to wear them to the wedding, 2 of them did, but it was totally their decision.

There is also a good post on Moms & Maids board right now to help with further suggestions.

• FutureG said:
    I think a lot of this stuff lends itself well to gift baskets. e.g. a spa night basket with a nice bottle of wine, some candles and scented oils, a few spa products, etc. 

Taking a friend out for a massage and lunch is always a great gift. 
  • FutureG said:
    I think a lot of this stuff lends itself well to gift baskets. e.g. a spa night basket with a nice bottle of wine, some candles and scented oils, a few spa products, etc. 

Taking a friend out for a massage and lunch is always a great gift. 
    A gardening gift basket also seems pretty easy.  A watering can filled with seed packets, gardening gloves, small spade and rake, pruning shears, maybe a small garden gnome.
  • geebee908 said:
    My girls are getting these personalized gifts! I literally cannot wait until they open them. As the wedding draws nearer, I'm going to be getting something else as well.

SITB

How old are your BMs? Because I can't see a grown woman being excited about wearing these. They definitely look like something preteens would give to each other.
    Preteens?  Ha!  These are the bracelets that used to be put on babies back in the day.  My mom got one & it hangs on her baby pic.  Haha.

OP, PPs have great advice - shop for your best pals and families like it's their birthday.  Crystal flutes for the champagne drinker, an organizer for the planner, a clutch or scarf for the sylish friend, jewelry for the ones whose taste you know, etc.  
  • I agree with PPs about putting together some baskets with a few things that they like in there. Like the tea drinker you could find a nice mug and buy a few teas you know she likes. I don't know about where you live, but we have some specialty tea shops that might be a great place to go for questions or even to add a gift card for her. I think you have the right idea OP you just need to go for it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards