Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Should I get a new dress!?

I was engaged six years ago to another guy. That relationship fell apart and now I'm engaged to a wonderful guy. The wedding is less than 6 months away!

I bought a dress when I was engaged the first time, although looking back I know my heart wasn't in it when I chose it. Subconsciously  knowing the relationship wasn't right I suppose. My mom basically chose it. But I held on to it thinking I would wear it someday. 

Today I had my first fitting and while the dress is beautiful, I'm second guessing that it's the right one. Should I look for a new one?  Is it better to save the money and wear the one I have? Do I even have enough time to look for a new one now? Im so torn! Please help! 

Re: Should I get a new dress!?

• Options
    ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2016
    I would sell the old dress and get a new one if I were you.  Imagine if you regretted it in the day, there would be nothing you could do about it.  

I know it's only a dress but a wedding dress does take on some symbolic meaning to a lot of brides. 

It is doable to get a dress in less than 6 months going off the rack or paying extra for a rush order.  
  • Options
    If you don't love the dress, yes, you should get a new one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    You have to decide what is more important to you. The symbolic meaning of a dress to wear to your wedding standing next to your true life partner might be more important to you than saving money. 
  • Options
    I agree, if your heart isn't in the new dress and you're already not in love with it I say sell it and buy a new one. As PPs have said you can rush order or buy off the rack; definitely enough time. 
  • Options
    I have to chime in on this....get a new dress. You never know how you'll feel about that dress on your wedding day. Plus, what if it slips that the dress is from a previous engagement and your fiance finds out? How would he feel? How would you feel if he chose to wear a tuxedo that was meant for a previous bride?
    Go find a new dress, have fun with it!  :)
  • Options
    you can find a new dress go to a non chain bridal shop and ask them what you can buy off the rack tell them your wedding is less than 6 months they will have sample gowns that are being discontinued that you can purchase there and start your alterations. you can also look at mori lee gowns morilee.com she is a inexpensive designer with stunning gowns starting at 500-2500 with most being in the 800-1200 range i ordered my gown in end of october and the gown came in december. 

you could also check out bridal consignments in your area the ones near me have a large percentage of  sample gowns and the rest are consigned gowns by brides 

you could also go to davids bridal and buy off the rack 
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016

The dress sets the tone, and the tone you've got - get a different dress, do not think/agonize/think twice given what you've said.  Tell the seamstress to NOT start on any alterations of this dress because it's a lot easier to resell a non-altered dress...  Check to see if there are any consignment bridal salons near you as that is also another way to sell the dress...

As for shopping for a new dress, buying off the rack is the simplest, but you should still be fine to get A dress by your wedding and many places can order a new dress in for you especially places like David's provided you aren't talking custom couture type designer.  You will not go without your budget's dream dress on your wedding day, nor do you need to overspend on a "rush order".  IMO, I'd go shopping solo and really make the dress shopping experience all about you (and yes, stand up for yourself if necessary to any high pressure tactics).  Set a budget, subtract from that budget money for undergarments (strapless/longline bra, crinoline), shoes, tiara/veil, and alterations (so about $400-600 of that budget) - you can ALWAYS go up in budget, going down is significantly tougher!)..  Most of all, have fun with it this time around!!!

• Options
    If you LOVED your dress with your ex-Fiance, I'd say just wear it.  But if you were Meh then, and Meh now, and it was your ex, just sell it and get a new one!

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm always a "save the money" and budget minded person, but I think a wedding dress should make you feel good.  It doesn't have to be an "OMG this is the perfect dress and I can see the light from heaven and hear angels singing when I put it on" dress...but you should feel good wearing it.  There is time to look and I think PPs gave you plenty of places to start looking.  I say sell that one you don't care for and find the dress that YOU like and that YOU feel good wearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards