Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation wording, parents have passed

My (the bride) parents have both passed away. My future in laws (still married) are contributing a good amount of money to our wedding. My fiancé and I are also putting in a lot of our own money. I have been doing all of the planning by myself and will continue to do everything until all is said and done. How do I word our invitations? I am seeing everywhere it's all about who is "hosting" the wedding but what exactly does that mean when costs are split?

Re: Invitation wording, parents have passed

• Hosting doesn't mean paying. Hosting means who is doing the "work" - extending invitations, keeping track of RSVPs, being the point person for guests' questions. It sounds like you and FI are hosting the wedding while his parents are only contributing financially. I believe the wording would be:

The honor of your presence is requested at the marriage of

Bridesname
    and
    Groomsname

Time
    Date

Address.

This is if the wedding is occurring at a house of worship. If the wedding is not at a house of worship "The pleasure of your company" is used. This is traditional wording. Nothing is abbreviated (i.e. street, state, month) the words are written out. @CMGragain- what am I forgetting - it's early here! 
  • I'm so sorry about your parents.

@ILoveBeachMusic is correct that hosting doesn't equal paying, and it looks like her wording is correct.
  • The honour of your presence is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    at time o'clock
    Church Name
    Address
    City, State (no zip!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You should talk to the person who is helping you with your invitations, she would know best. I had the same issue. My Hubby's parents are deceased nad mine are helping us pay.
    If your in-laws are helping you pay(substantially) then  their name should be on the invitation. OR if they are doing something specific, like hosting the welcome party, their names should be on that invitation.  Without them, you wouldn't be having the event of your dreams and you need to show respect to that. As I said, your invitation person knows best. 

your names, along with their family  request the honor of your presence...etc.
    or
    your names and MR and MRs. xxx , etc.

or MR. and MRs. xxx cordially invite you to the rehearsal dinner. 
    or rehearsal diner.....hosted by mr. and mrs. xxx

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    doclago said:
    You should talk to the person who is helping you with your invitations, she would know best. I had the same issue. My Hubby's parents are deceased nad mine are helping us pay.
    If your in-laws are helping you pay(substantially) then  their name should be on the invitation. OR if they are doing something specific, like hosting the welcome party, their names should be on that invitation.  Without them, you wouldn't be having the event of your dreams and you need to show respect to that. As I said, your invitation person knows best. 

your names, along with their family  request the honor of your presence...etc.
    or
    your names and MR and MRs. xxx , etc.

or MR. and MRs. xxx cordially invite you to the rehearsal dinner. 
    or rehearsal diner.....hosted by mr. and mrs. xxx

Sorry, but the bride and groom never directly invite guests to an event (wedding) that is in their own honor.  If they are hosting their own wedding, the wording is in the passive mode, with no hosts specified: 

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date (etc.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • That's why I suggested to ask the invitation pro, because I don't know the EXACT wording

LOL! But you just wrote the same thing I did but in reverse.. The pleasure of your company is requested...  I don't see much difference really..

Mine say

"together with their families " 
    our names
    date 
    church
    reception

Our rehearsal brunch says at the bottom  "Hosted by my parents"

All i'm saying is that the people who are paying should be recognized somewhere on the invitations. I think they might be insulted if they aren't.
    I actually ran the invite wording by my parents before I oked the final draft. 
  • If your FILS are credited for hosting, then your names only go on the invitation as bride and groom.  The couple never take direct credit for hosting their own wedding.  The "Together with their parents" thing is quite new; it is not traditional at all.  Yes, it is important that your names are not first on the hosting line!

Mr. and Mrs. John Groomsparents
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of
    Miss (Ms.) Bride's Full Name
    to their son
    Groom's first middle
    Day, date (etc.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    doclago said:
    That's why I suggested to ask the invitation pro, because I don't know the EXACT wording

LOL! But you just wrote the same thing I did but in reverse.. The pleasure of your company is requested...  I don't see much difference really..

Mine say

"together with their families " 
    our names
    date 
    church
    reception

Our rehearsal brunch says at the bottom  "Hosted by my parents"

All i'm saying is that the people who are paying should be recognized somewhere on the invitations. I think they might be insulted if they aren't.
    I actually ran the invite wording by my parents before I oked the final draft. 
    Sorry, but that's not what invitations are for.  They are not playbills in which everyone making a financial contribution must be recognized.  If you need to "recognize" everyone who made financial contributions, thank them in a program - not on the invitation. Or better still, do it in a brief toast at the reception and nice heartfelt thank-you notes. And not being "recognized" on a wedding invitation if one is not one of the principals is not worth being "insulted" about.

The only persons "honored" by wedding invitations are the guests - not the people listed on them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards