Chit Chat

Oscars, anyone?

Anyone else watch last night?  I was so happy for Leo and absolutely thought Chris Rock nailed it (and he normally annoys me!)

And the fashion .....
Charlize Theron was my fave!

And I loved Brie Larson!

As a Catholic, I had mixed emotions about Spotlight winning.  I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard from many that it was great (even from a Catholic priest in Boston).  It's a hard time in the history of my faith, but I realize that it's a story that we need to know so it never happens again.

Anyone else?

Re: Oscars, anyone?

• I only watched Chris Rock's opening monologue and read about the rest. He annoys me too but I felt he addressed the race issues in Hollywood perfectly. And those dresses give me life!
  • I honestly didn't watch any of it. I loved this one:

I was so happy Leo finally won!

• I forgot it was even on.  I was too busy watching Downton Abbey (re-watched last week's episode...so sad it is almost over) and Walking Dead.

And Leo winning was as shocking to me as realizing that Monday is the day after Sunday.

• I only saw some of it.   I would like to see Spotlight so I can judge it for myself.

I don't love the faith bashed but in my parents' parish, the priest who gave me my First Communion and heard my first confession also abused my peers.    Then he got caught when a city cop posed as a 14 you boy online looking for a hookup.   I think his arrest and possible cover up is a reason Cardinal Egan was not without controversy as he was Bishop.  

I'm glad Leo finally won.   Did anyone see the video of him getting his award engraved?
  • @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.
  • pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    I'm not sure how I felt about Chris Rock's monologue, tbh. I thought it started out great, and he definitely addressed race issues in Hollywood, but then I thought some of the things he said seemed to belittle things. For example, he stated that in the 60's there were important issues going on such as lynchings, so no one cared about the Oscars. True, but there are also a lot of major issues going on right now as well. 

I am happy that Leo won, it was a long time coming. I didn't watch the Revenant - it's one of the few Leo movies I have no interest in watching - but he is an amazing actor.

Oh, and as for the fashion - I really liked the yellow Louis Vuitton  dress with the bubble hem.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    I'm not sure how I felt about Chris Rock's monologue, tbh. I thought it started out great, and he definitely addressed race issues in Hollywood, but then I thought some of the things he said seemed to belittle things. For example, he stated that in the 60's there were important issues going on such as lynchings, so no one cared about the Oscars. True, but there are also a lot of major issues going on right now as well. 

I am happy that Leo won, it was a long time coming. I didn't watch the Revenant - it's one of the few Leo movies I have no interest in watching - but he is an amazing actor.

Oh, and as for the fashion - I really liked the yellow Louis Vuitton  dress with the bubble hem.
    I am mostly happy Leo won, but a tiny part of me thought it would have been hilarious if he lost again...

As for The Revenant itself: I may be alone on this, but I HATED it. It was 3 hours of Leonardo DiCaprio breathing heavily while crawling through the forest, punctuated by near-death encounters that he very unrealistically survived (being attacked by a bear, floating down an icy river without getting hypothermia, being launched off a cliff, to name a few). It would have been tolerable as a 90-minute movie, but the length alone made it damn near unbearable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pinkcow13 said:

I am mostly happy Leo won, but a tiny part of me thought it would have been hilarious if he lost again...

As for The Revenant itself: I may be alone on this, but I HATED it. It was 3 hours of Leonardo DiCaprio breathing heavily while crawling through the forest, punctuated by near-death encounters that he very unrealistically survived (being attacked by a bear, floating down an icy river without getting hypothermia, being launched off a cliff, to name a few). It would have been tolerable as a 90-minute movie, but the length alone made it damn near unbearable.
    LOL, I thought the same thing, that it would have been funny if he lost. The internet would have so many memes today!

I was talking with someone at lunch today, and they also stated that they did not like the Revenant, they said that it was pretty boring. And I had no idea it was 3 hours long!

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Margot Robie all the way for me, she looked incredible

Kerry Washington was a huge bag of nope though. Wasn't keen on Kate winslet either, bit too 'bin bag chic' for my liking.

• I also loved Charlize and Brie's dresses, but I think Brie's belt overpowered the delicate nature of the gown.

I also loved Soairse Ronan and Alicia Vikander's dresses - I totally thought Alicia Vikander looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

Very happy Leo finally won, but TBH I haven't seen a lot of this year's nominated movies. After last night I have a long list of DVDs to rent!!
  • @sparklepants41 ,, the only one I'd seen was the Martian!
  • I also loved Charlize and Brie's dresses, but I think Brie's belt overpowered the delicate nature of the gown.

I also loved Soairse Ronan and Alicia Vikander's dresses - I totally thought Alicia Vikander looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

Very happy Leo finally won, but TBH I haven't seen a lot of this year's nominated movies. After last night I have a long list of DVDs to rent!!
    YES!!!That's the dress! I found it on google after I posted above. I LOVED the dress.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    I also loved Charlize and Brie's dresses, but I think Brie's belt overpowered the delicate nature of the gown.

YES!!!That's the dress! I found it on google after I posted above. I LOVED the dress.
    I really did too! And her shoes were amazing! And her hairstyle! 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

LOL, I thought the same thing, that it would have been funny if he lost. The internet would have so many memes today!

I was talking with someone at lunch today, and they also stated that they did not like the Revenant, they said that it was pretty boring. And I had no idea it was 3 hours long!

I think it was actually about 2 hours and 40 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. To be fair, all four of the people I went with liked it, and I was the outspoken detractor. I just thought it was mind-numbingly boring, and the exciting parts did not make up for that. Plus, no one can float down an icy river for what seemed like an hour in movie-time, in the middle of winter, and not get hypothermia. Or fall of a cliff, land in a tree, and not break any limbs. Or get mauled by a bear, with lacerations all the way to the bone, and not get an infection. Just, no.

To be fair, a movie has to be REALLY entertaining for me not to get antsy at the 90-minute mark, so that may have had to do with my disdain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

I think it was actually about 2 hours and 40 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. To be fair, all four of the people I went with liked it, and I was the outspoken detractor. I just thought it was mind-numbingly boring, and the exciting parts did not make up for that. Plus, no one can float down an icy river for what seemed like an hour in movie-time, in the middle of winter, and not get hypothermia. Or fall of a cliff, land in a tree, and not break any limbs. Or get mauled by a bear, with lacerations all the way to the bone, and not get an infection. Just, no.

To be fair, a movie has to be REALLY entertaining for me not to get antsy at the 90-minute mark, so that may have had to do with my disdain.
    I'm the same way. I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Sicario, and personally I found it pretty boring. I think that's when I saw the preview for the Revenant, actually. For 2 hours and 40 minutes, the movie better be entertaining as hell!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.
    I can see that.   In my own personal experience, I think Cardinal Egan waffled in his response.   And that diocese had other issues but seeing some of them rather close and in my home parish it was rather shocking.   My parents witnessed that many parents of my peers stopped attending Mass there. 

I haven't seen any of the nominees though.   My superpower is sleeping.   It's a curse when you try to watch a flick. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

This is me too.  Once a movie creeps past the 2 hour mark and is not mind blowing amazing, I start wondering when it will end.  Plus after 2 hours I need to pee so lets wrap this shit up!

• I didn't watch the oscars but instead actually watched Spotlight.  It was very well done and really focuses on the investigation and how it took them so long to expose the story. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.
    I can see that.   In my own personal experience, I think Cardinal Egan waffled in his response.   And that diocese had other issues but seeing some of them rather close and in my home parish it was rather shocking.   My parents witnessed that many parents of my peers stopped attending Mass there. 

I haven't seen any of the nominees though.   My superpower is sleeping.   It's a curse when you try to watch a flick. 
    The only one I saw was the Martian (which I loved).  

Considering so much of the focus of the scandal was in the New England area, I can absolutely see how it affected you differently.  I'm thankful that I didn't know anyone directly affected, so I know my perception is a bit different.  The whole situation is downright disgusting.  I'll probably rent the movie soon since I'm on a break at work.  I'll let you know how it is.
  • My mom watched.  She told me that my aunt throws a party every year during the awards ceremony, where she and her friends watch.

Me, I'm "meh" on the whole Oscars. The fashion tends to be too outrageous for me, I usually haven't seen at least half of the movies, and it's become too political for me.  While I agree that minorities have been unrepresented in the movie industry for as long as there's been a movie industry, I don't need to know who's boycotting, or what causes each winner supports.  And I hate listening to speeches that go on forever - whether on TV or in real life, like at a wedding reception.
  • I watched, but I love this kind of thing. That and my brother is in film school and could be going one day (and hopefully taking me!)

I saw Spotlight and thought it was really well done. They did a great job with telling the investigative journalism side of it, which was more of the focus of the film than the church.
  • Didn't watch last night but looked up the dresses today and watched the Leo engraving video and Gaga's amazeballs peformance. 

And Kate Winslet tearing up when Leo won made my 13-year old Titanic fanatic heart happy. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    I watched.

I like the monologue. The Rihanna reference was funny. I also liked his next set.  But by the 3rd I was like okay.     

If you look at all the award shows you will see with a few exceptions (for example, Idris Elba won a SAG) all the movie nominees were pretty much the same.   The key word here is movie.  Some of the awards programs did have african-american winners, but they were in TV, so none of them would have be eligible for an Oscar anyway.   IDK, I feel like all the award shows should be highlighted, not just the Oscars.

Bottom line is actors are only as good as the roles written for them.  The problems lies in what moves are being written and produced.    

I like the movie Straight Out of Compton.  That said,  I didn't think any of the actors were necessary Oscar worthy either.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

You know that the movie is based on a real guy right? Sure - Hollywood took its liberties with the movie (the real Hugh Glass didn't have a kid for example, and no evidence of fall from a cliff in to a tree), but he did survive a bear attack (with documented lacerations down to the bone), fought wild animals off of a fresh kill, and almost froze to death before he made it back to his base camp. . . . then he was killed 10 years later by an Arikara attack.

Sure - I get it, a lot of movies seem unbelievable. And yes - so does this one. But this movie was made because this guy did survive these unrealistic situations. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I don't watch movies, so I don't watch the Oscars either.  I usually just look at the photos the next day.

However, I don't get the Leo-Kate love affair.  I think it's sweet that as colleagues they have so much support for each other but there are so many better on screen romances.  And quite frankly, Rose was a bitch that let Jack die. 

• Jen4948 said:
    My mom watched.  She told me that my aunt throws a party every year during the awards ceremony, where she and her friends watch.

Me, I'm "meh" on the whole Oscars. The fashion tends to be too outrageous for me, I usually haven't seen at least half of the movies, and it's become too political for me.  While I agree that minorities have been unrepresented in the movie industry for as long as there's been a movie industry, I don't need to know who's boycotting, or what causes each winner supports.  And I hate listening to speeches that go on forever - whether on TV or in real life, like at a wedding reception.

Agreed.  The Oscars producers made a concerted effort this year to shorten the speeches by having a scroll of the names winners wished to thank across the bottom of the screen.  I feel like it made a big difference.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    @banana468 , I'm likely to rent it soon to watch.  I've read several Catholic reviews of it & they've all been positive.  One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again.

It doesn't  seem like the Catholic church has learned anything. These stories of abuse are so common now (worldwide) that many are not deemed news worthy.

Spotlight focuses on Cardinal Law and what he knew about the sexual abuse. The Boston Globe was able to prove 90+ members of the Catholic Church abused children. And how did the church respond? The Pope promoted Law an Archpriest in Rome.

Sorry but I don't feel bad that the Catholic Churches reputation was trashed. And I don't think they deserve to be patted on the head for any tiny and insignificant steps they have been forced to take.

I think its really interesting that you are expressing opinions on a movie you haven't even seen yet.

ETA: words

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

It doesn't  seem like the Catholic church has learned anything. These stories of abuse are so common now (worldwide) that many are not deemed news worthy.

Spotlight focuses on Cardinal Law and what he knew about the sexual abuse. The Boston Globe was able to prove 90+ members of the Catholic Church abused children. And how did the church respond? The Pope promoted Law an Archpriest in Rome.

Sorry but I don't feel bad that the Catholic Churches reputation was trashy. And I don't think they deserve to be patted on the head for any tiny and insignificant steps they have been forced to take.

I think its really interesting that you are expressing opinions on a movie you haven't even seen yet.

Yes. Thank you for mentioning the bolded. As a survivor of rape (not by a priest), and a resident of the Boston area, it's the issue of Cardinal Law and his cover up of the abuse/protection of abuser priests as well as his promotion by the Pope which was a complete slap in the face to victims and their families that is the reason why I was thrilled Spotlight was made and won Best Screenplay & Best Picture. 

The only steps the Church has taken in the right direction are baby steps that barely even serve as a band-aid. 
  • KatWAG said:

Sorry but I don't feel bad that the Catholic Churches reputation was trashy. And I don't think they deserve to be patted on the head for any tiny and insignificant steps they have been forced to take.

SITB

When I said,  
    "One of my pet peeves about the whole thing is that the general public never mentions or acknowledges the steps the Church has taken / is taking to prevent this from ever happening again."  

I am referring to comments in general, not just regarding the movie.   And, I don't think anyone should be patting anyone on the back.  But, don't pretend that the Church is continuing business as usual without taking precautions.  I've seen friends go through the seminary screening process shortly after this all happened.  They are put through several psychological tests /interviews.  

I downloaded the movie, though.   

And WTF is an archpriest?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards