Chit Chat

Knotty Republican Primary

Re: Knotty Republican Primary

• i do not feel sad for republicans at all. They have pursued an explicitly racist national electoral strategy for over 40 years. Trump is what happens when you do that. 
  • The GOP is so messed up.* I'm card-carrying Libertarian in a solidly blue state, so I'll be casting my Libertarian vote come November (I hear Gary Johnson is running again). The only way to get viable third party candidates is to vote for them, but people are so afraid to do so because they can't let the more-of-two-evils win, so they vote for the lesser-of-two-evils. 

*Here's on reason I think it's messed up. You have these religiously-valued men who say they're going to uphold the Constitution. You can't uphold straight marriage while respecting the Constitution. They literally do not jive! 

I thought Trump was a joke. I actually think it's a Democratic ploy, because if Trump wins the nomination of the Republican party he will be trounced by the Democratic candidate. 

• The GOP is so messed up.* I'm card-carrying Libertarian in a solidly blue state, so I'll be casting my Libertarian vote come November (I hear Gary Johnson is running again). The only way to get viable third party candidates is to vote for them, but people are so afraid to do so because they can't let the more-of-two-evils win, so they vote for the lesser-of-two-evils. 

*Here's on reason I think it's messed up. You have these religiously-valued men who say they're going to uphold the Constitution. You can't uphold straight marriage while respecting the Constitution. They literally do not jive! 

I thought Trump was a joke. I actually think it's a Democratic ploy, because if Trump wins the nomination of the Republican party he will be trounced by the Democratic candidate. 
    You are joking right?

You are joking right?
    Facetious. I do think if he gets the nomination there's no way he'd win over Hilary or Bernie, but no, I don't really think it's a ploy, don't worry. 

You are joking right?
    Facetious. I do think if he gets the nomination there's no way he'd win over Hilary or Bernie, but no, I don't really think it's a ploy, don't worry. 

Oh phew, because some people honestly believe that. 

• Democrat here, but I agree that Cruz scares me more than Trump. I feel like Trump is really more moderate than he is letting on, but Cruz is a crazy religious zealot. 

• Democrat here, but I agree that Cruz scares me more than Trump. I feel like Trump is really more moderate than he is letting on, but Cruz is a crazy religious zealot. 
    I have a friend who thinks Trump is trolling the country. Once he is elected, she is sure that he will reveal that he is a moderate.
  • banana468 said:
    When the time comes to vote I'll cast it for Rubio.   I like Kasich but I don't think he has what it takes.

Donald Trump scares the shit out of me.   That I know people who are planning to vote for him makes me fear those people - some of whom I love.   
    As a lifelong liberal leaning Democrat, I'm sincerely sad for the Republican party. I'm trying to gain insight as to how so many Republicans support this outrageous,hot tempered, rude, bigot (Trump). He so busy hurling insults that he hasn't bothered to outline his policies. What do we know about Trump?
    As an oft Republican voting citizen, I"M sincerely sad for the Republican Party.  I am completely befuddled as to who is actually promoting Trump, because I do not know a soul who is considering him.  His latest sound byte regarding the David Duke issue is particularly disturbing.  NOW suddenly he is "PC" and stating that he needs to "research" before making a statement??  The man does nothing BUT hurl and spew stupidity before thinking. 

I am going to "pull a Hillary" and claim that Trump's popularity/interest is all a "left wing conspiracy".
  • MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    When the time comes to vote I'll cast it for Rubio.   I like Kasich but I don't think he has what it takes.

Donald Trump scares the shit out of me.   That I know people who are planning to vote for him makes me fear those people - some of whom I love.   
    As a lifelong liberal leaning Democrat, I'm sincerely sad for the Republican party. I'm trying to gain insight as to how so many Republicans support this outrageous,hot tempered, rude, bigot (Trump). He so busy hurling insults that he hasn't bothered to outline his policies. What do we know about Trump?
    As an oft Republican voting citizen, I"M sincerely sad for the Republican Party.  I am completely befuddled as to who is actually promoting Trump, because I do not know a soul who is considering him.  His latest sound byte regarding the David Duke issue is particularly disturbing.  NOW suddenly he is "PC" and stating that he needs to "research" before making a statement??  The man does nothing BUT hurl and spew stupidity before thinking. 

I am going to "pull a Hillary" and claim that Trump's popularity/interest is all a "left wing conspiracy".
    Have you been drunk for the last 8-40 years? Did you not notice the Tea Party? The Southern strategy? The virulently racist way President Obama has been treated by the Republican Party?

Trumo isn't befuddling at all. He's a natural progression of explicit republican strategy that now they are starting to think wasn't awesome after all. Left wing conspiracy? C'mon you can't be that dumb. 
  • Have you been drunk for the last 8-40 years? Did you not notice the Tea Party? The Southern strategy? The virulently racist way President Obama has been treated by the Republican Party?

Trumo isn't befuddling at all. He's a natural progression of explicit republican strategy that now they are starting to think wasn't awesome after all. Left wing conspiracy? C'mon you can't be that dumb. 
    I agree that Trump is partly the result of lot of the rhetoric and strategy of the Republican party, BUT what surprises me is that I know reasonable Republicans who didn't buy into the "birther" stuff, don't seem to have any racist tendencies, and weren't particularly big Tea-Partiers who are loving Trump because "he's an outsider" "he speaks his mind" and "he's a great business man".  So there IS a segment of Trump followers who are not the direct result of Republican strategy, nor could really have been predicted.  

Heck, Trump is even taking a lot of independents.  I get it, but I don't get it.  I hear the reasons, but it still baffles me.

SaveSave
  • MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:

Have you been drunk for the last 8-40 years? Did you not notice the Tea Party? The Southern strategy? The virulently racist way President Obama has been treated by the Republican Party?

That was sarcasm.  In response to allegations Clinton was being less than presidential in the Oval Office, Hillary's response was that it was a "right wing conspiracy".  And yes, I have noticed plenty, from both sides. 
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    I consider myself a moderate -- I have voted both parties in the past, no real allegiances. In the GOP, I definitely favor Kasich the most; he is the most middle-of-the-road and has the best track record for collaborating in a bipartisan manner. Rubio annoys me -- he seems kind of cocky and idealistic -- but both Cruz and Trump concern me. I agree that in some ways, Cruz scares me even more because he seems to have things planned out better. Trump just says idiotic, insulting things -- which is still very concerning, as I can see his big mouth causing wars -- but I'm not convinced he actually intends to follow through with his words the way Cruz does.

The thing which really mystifies me, though, is that, despite Trump surging to victory everywhere and drawing these massive crowds of voters, I NEVER see anybody saying they actually support him or have bumper stickers or anything. Where and who are all these people? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I consider myself a moderate -- I have voted both parties in the past, no real allegiances. In the GOP, I definitely favor Kasich the most; he is the most middle-of-the-road and has the best track record for collaborating in a bipartisan manner. Rubio annoys me -- he seems kind of cocky and idealistic -- but both Cruz and Trump concern me. I agree that in some ways, Cruz scares me even more because he seems to have things planned out better. Trump just says idiotic, insulting things -- which is still very concerning, as I can see his big mouth causing wars -- but I'm not convinced he actually intends to follow through with his words the way Cruz does.

The thing which really mystifies me, though, is that, despite Trump surging to victory everywhere and drawing these massive crowds of voters, I NEVER see anybody saying they actually support him or have bumper stickers or anything. Where and who are all these people? 
    Two of them came out of the woodwork on my Facebook yesterday.  I feel like I found the Loch Ness Monster.
  • I know a couple people who support Trump. Most of the people I know do not though. 

• madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    arrippa said:
    Democrat here, but I agree that Cruz scares me more than Trump. I feel like Trump is really more moderate than he is letting on, but Cruz is a crazy religious zealot. 
    I have a friend who thinks Trump is trolling the country. Once he is elected, she is sure that he will reveal that he is a moderate.
    This has crossed my mind. I mean, I know it's not true, but he was a registered democrat in 2008, and he and the Clintons have been known to frequent the same circles... Just sayin'.

To be honest, I don't think Trump really is a die-hard conservative, but he IS an idiot and repeatedly says some really stupid/ignorant/racist shit.

ETA: I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I don't really believe something nefarious is going down, but this is a fun article anyway: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/09/jeb-bush-jokes-of-trump-clinton-conspiracy-theory-heres-a-look-at-the-evidence/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • People like Trump because he speaks his mind and just doesn't care.  To me, its off putting, but to others, they appreciate it.  Trump doesn't really have to answer to the Republican Party because from what I understand, he is funding his own campaign (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what I had read).

Personally, as a Republican, none of the candidates represent who I am, though I am a bit more moderate.  I do like Kasich the most because he has proven that he can work with both sides.

If it came down to Trump winning the nomination, I think him becoming President would be dependent on who is the Democratic nominee.  I can't see Trump beating Hillary, but I can for sure see him beating Bernie.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited March 2016
    ohmrs2014 said:
    People like Trump because he speaks his mind and just doesn't care.  To me, its off putting, but to others, they appreciate it.  Trump doesn't really have to answer to the Republican Party because from what I understand, he is funding his own campaign (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what I had read).

Personally, as a Republican, none of the candidates represent who I am, though I am a bit more moderate.  I do like Kasich the most because he has proven that he can work with both sides.

If it came down to Trump winning the nomination, I think him becoming President would be dependent on who is the Democratic nominee.  I can't see Trump beating Hillary, but I can for sure see him beating Bernie.
    He is claiming to fund his own campaign, but he technically loaned himself the 25 million, which by law he can repay himself for with the money that he has raised through the donate button on his website (about 7.5 million dollars).

He also has some PACs, but is credited along with Bernie, for not accepting money from Super PACs. (Edited to fix caps)

• ohmrs2014 said:
    People like Trump because he speaks his mind and just doesn't care.  To me, its off putting, but to others, they appreciate it.  Trump doesn't really have to answer to the Republican Party because from what I understand, he is funding his own campaign (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what I had read).

He is claiming to fund his own campaign, but he technically loaned himself the 25 million, which by law he can repay himself for with the money that he has raised through the donate button on his website (about 7.5 million dollars).

He also has some PACs, but is credited along with Bernie, for not accepting money from Super PACs. (Edited to fix caps)

Thanks for clarifying!!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I consider myself a moderate -- I have voted both parties in the past, no real allegiances. In the GOP, I definitely favor Kasich the most; he is the most middle-of-the-road and has the best track record for collaborating in a bipartisan manner. Rubio annoys me -- he seems kind of cocky and idealistic -- but both Cruz and Trump concern me. I agree that in some ways, Cruz scares me even more because he seems to have things planned out better. Trump just says idiotic, insulting things -- which is still very concerning, as I can see his big mouth causing wars -- but I'm not convinced he actually intends to follow through with his words the way Cruz does.

I'm in central PA and on occasion I see trump bumper stickers and lawn signs.  But I also saw pick up trucks flying massive confederate flags in the days after SC took theirs down, so...yeah...

I have one FB friend who supports Drumpf.  DH has been trying to talk him out of it, but it's not working, even when the friend acknowledges the points.

I still have no idea who I'd support, but PA is so late in the primaries, it rarely matters:(
  • edited March 2016
    I voted Kasich, not that he has any chance at this point.

Cruz scares the crap out of me. Trump, we better perfect our magic force field, bc he is going piss off at least a few countries with nukes. Rubio, Cruz and trump all really piss me off with their stance on immigration, when they are married to or the child of an immigrant. Must be nice to be able to take advantage of the loop holes. As long as it fits your needs, screw everyone else.

I'm glad that trump and Christie made up. Its only slightly less terrifying as a ticket of Trump Palin...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I saw thins on my Facebook feed and I laughed.

• arrippa said:

I saw thins on my Facebook feed and I laughed.

I laughed, and then the pit in my stomach grew until I had an uneasy grimace on my face...so scary
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• This is the real fear for me here, although I know Bernie will be president.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:

This is the real fear for me here, although I know Bernie will be president.
    These are my thoughts with people who claim there's no difference between Hillary and Trump (I've seen and heard comments lIke that) POC aren't scared for their lives if Hillary becomes president. With Trump, we are scared. Unless we're Stacey Dash.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    MCmeow said:

These are my thoughts with people who claim there's no difference between Hillary and Trump (I've seen and heard comments lIke that) POC aren't scared for their lives if Hillary becomes president. With Trump, we are scared. Unless we're Stacey Dash.
    I actually worry about her being the nominee, she's just not as electable as Bernie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeow said:
    hellohkb said:
    MCmeow said:

I actually worry about her being the nominee, she's just not as electable as Bernie.
    They're both very electable. To pretend she's not electable at all is a tad naive.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think Hillary is very electable.   And I think she's going to get the President's endorsement.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards