Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

soda vs open bar

I am have a smaller wedding 130 people tops -
Our reception is going to be open bar - to those of age of course, but who's responsibility to "cut off" people if they have had too much to drink.

Is it appropriate for us to only allow open bar to those who have booked a room at the hotel where our reception is located? 

We are both concerned about the drinking and driving issues.  Most of our guests are responsible but it only takes one...

Re: soda vs open bar

• Adults will plan ahead. You can't just have open to hotel guests- so rude. 

If you're that concerned, have a dry wedding. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_soda-vs-open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:51a2bcb4-c6a5-47c7-962d-f4069b3cc168Post:410840be-5a7f-4301-81c8-d0be01487cf5">Re: soda vs open bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Adults will plan ahead. You can't just have open to hotel guests- so rude.  If you're that concerned, have a dry wedding. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]
    This.  You can also provide the number for a local cab company (leave business cards for them at the bar or just a small frame with the cab company and phone number displayed).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_soda-vs-open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:51a2bcb4-c6a5-47c7-962d-f4069b3cc168Post:867b164a-7bb8-4284-9e5c-cf88fdcfbd88">soda vs open bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am have a smaller wedding 130 people tops - Our reception is going to be open bar - to those of age of course, but who's responsibility to "cut off" people if they have had too much to drink. Is it appropriate for us to only allow open bar to those who have booked a room at the hotel where our reception is located?  We are both concerned about the drinking and driving issues.  Most of our guests are responsible but it only takes one...
    Posted by DIANAANDSCOTT[/QUOTE]

The bartender is the one serving so it is the bartender's job to cut people off. You can certainly point out drunk guests to the bartender, of course.
  • How would the bartender even know if someone has a hotel room? You are not liable for people driving drunk. People can plan on their own to take a cab, have a designated driver, stop drinking so they can sober up, etc, etc. Please treat them like the adults they are.
  • "who's responsibility to "cut off" people if they have had too much to drink." The bartender.
  • How would they even know who is staying at the hotel or not?

Answer is the bartender is responsible

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree 100% with those who pointed out that it's the bartender who should decide when to cut people off. Where I live, you have to be certified to serve alcohol and its the server/bartender's job to recognize signs of intoxication. I would have a sit-down with the bartenders at your wedding beforehand to discuss your concerns and they should be able to help!

Also, having cards from a local cab company on the bar was a great suggestion by a PP. 
  • The bartender is responsible.
  • What I find most hilarious about this post is fact that most couples will take one car (aka one will not be driving at all). So, the OP is saying she would limit one member of the couple? One could have open bar and the other is limited to soda? Or neither of them would get any alcohol because they aren't staying at the hotel.

Adults know to handle themselves when drinking adult beverages, or they personally will deal with the consequences. No babysitting necessary.

Host an open bar if you want to and can afford it for ALL of your adult guests.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_soda-vs-open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:51a2bcb4-c6a5-47c7-962d-f4069b3cc168Post:867b164a-7bb8-4284-9e5c-cf88fdcfbd88">soda vs open bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am have a smaller wedding 130 people tops - Our reception is going to be open bar - to those of age of course, but who's responsibility to "cut off" people if they have had too much to drink. <strong>Is it appropriate for us to only allow open bar to those who have booked a room at the hotel where our reception is located?  </strong>We are both concerned about the drinking and driving issues.  Most of our guests are responsible but it only takes one...
    Posted by DIANAANDSCOTT[/QUOTE]

This is one of the craziest things I've ever heard of on TK and that's saying a lot.

PP are right. You can not pick and choose who gets what.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I left it up to my bartenders becuase they were the ones that saw how often people were coming up to the bar & could probably notice more the changes from sober to drunk in people. Since I had some underaged guests I did stop at the bar quickly at the beginning of the reception & told the bartenders that I did some some underaged guests & if there is any doubt to card people. They told me that at that location it was actually standard practice to card people that were questionable. I just relaxed then and hoped that everyone would be responsible adults and either not overdrink or have a DD to get home.
  • The bartenders are responsible for keeping anyone from drinking too much.

It's rude to offer guests different hospitality, and how would the bartenders know who is or isn't booked at the hotel?
  • Definitely don't only do open bar for guests staying at the hotel.  People plan ahead with designated driver's, cutting themselves off when they know they need to drive, and at the end of the day the bartender will make sure someone isn't over-served.

Try not to worry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards