Wedding Party

Maid of Honour Drama

karaveronicakaraveronica member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited March 2016 in Wedding Party

Hello All,

I’m looking for advice on a less than desirable subject: Asking my MoH to step down. I know there’s a lot of text, but it’s all relevant to the situation.

A little context: I live in Alberta, my wedding (and MoH) are in Ontario, where I grew up, so I’m taking almost 22 months to plan the big day, which is in this coming September. I’m ‘in’ her wedding party (she’s getting married this summer) but she hasn’t formally asked anyone to be a part of her day yet.

Additional context: She and I have (had...) regular bi-weekly phone dates to talk about everything (lives, travel, work, any and everything. We don't usually talk wedding stuff during these calls.

We’re both very ‘type A’ and like to have everything figured out well in advance (especially for me getting married across the country.)

Everything was great early on, but things started to turn sour in July. We were chatting on the phone and she said she felt she may need to step down as MoH – Her job was keeping her too busy to be involved like some of my other bridesmaids were (even though she lived closest to where we were getting married.) I reassured her that I didn’t care if she was involved in the planning of showers or parties or anything like that, what mattered is that she was there for me and was standing with me when I got married. She was appreciative, and asked when I was ordering the dresses for the bridesmaids and what she owed me for them. I told her they were being ordered the following week and quoted her the price, which she would pay back before my card statement was due at the end of the next month(I ordered & paid for the dresses upfront to get them all from the same dye lot, the girls were paying me back.)

Flash forward two months to the beginning of September. I get a very stressed out text for my MoH, so I give her a call. Her venue just told her they double booked the her wedding, and can no longer accommodate her because the event they booked the same day is going to be bigger and better for them. I’m outraged and upset for her – I offer to do any and everything I can, including calling the venue and explaining to them what a contract is. She says not to worry, she and her Fiancé want to figure it out, but thank you so much for calling –I’m the only one who cared enough to pick up the phone and didn’t have some lame excuse. They had some options to consider and she would let me know ASAP when they’d made a decision because she knew I had to book the time off work and buy airline tickets to fly cross country for her wedding. She was sorry she hadn’t sent me the money for the dress yet, but she’d do it soon

Now, let’s look at to October/November. I’ve just flown across the country for a 2-week planning binge during which my mother has offered to host a shower and one of my Bridesmaids has organized it. My MoH has agreed to help me with printing and assembling my invitations the weekend before, but said she had a conference to attend for work in Cali the weekend they’d planned the shower. She would bring the money she owed for the dress to our invitation date (she e-transferred it the next day, finally). She still hasn’t begun looking at alternate options for her wedding/other dates or just eloping (something that’s come up several times in the last 7 years.) I’m absolutely fine with this.

What I’m a little less fine with, is finding out that her conference was cancelled two months ago and she just decided not to show up to the shower. Yes, I understand the ‘wedding’ vibe may be stressing her out, but TELL ME. Don’t tell everyone but me.

Now it’s January, I haven’t heard from her since I saw her in Nov. despite calling for your regular dates (unanswered) and calling on Christmas (again, no answer) and still no decisions have been made for her wedding. But let’s talk about headpieces and veils and shoes because ‘I’m feeling good and we’re sitting down next weekend to make a decision.’ Next weekend, they unexpectedly have to go to a funeral a few provinces away with his mother. I text her, apologizing for their loss and saying “I understand you wouldn’t be talking about your wedding this weekend, but do you have an idea of when you might make a decision?” I’m not really supposed to take time off work, but my boss has allowed it and we’d really like to book our airline tickets, and she’s my best friend so I wouldn’t miss her wedding for the world. She snaps at me saying obviously they didn’t talk about the wedding on their 22 hr car ride with his mother. Two weeks later, I get a text saying “wedding is August 20.” And I text her back telling her how excited I am and can she please call me when she has a chance, we really need to catch up.

It’s a month before I try to reach out to her again. I live 5 hrs from the nearest city (and nearest bridal stores) and was heading to the city for the weekend so I was wondering if she had any dresses I needed to try on.

Three days later she texts me back saying she’s sick and doesn’t want to think about anything but if there is anything urgent let her know and she’ll try. I tell her its not urgent, but I hope she feels better and we should have a phone date when she’s better. I check in on her a couple of times over the next two weeks, and then I ask again now that she’s feeling better, if there is anything for me to check out in the city, as I’m unexpectedly going again, but don’t plan to return for a few months.

She tests back and tells me to Back Off. A wedding is one day and she doesn’t care, and I shouldn’t care (sorry, I’m supposed to be your MoH, of course I care! I’ve been looking forward to this day since I met you 7 years ago.) And the only reason I cared when her wedding was, was so that I could plan my shower (which had been suggested by the same bridesmaid who planned the last shower, as an opportunity to have a shower with my friends and family closer to where they were.) This really, really hurt me as I really didn’t care about the shower, I just wanted to be there for her to celebrate her wedding, and I has said I was okay with her not being involved and maybe I really wasn’t. And maybe I should find someone else and they could buy her dress. I told her flat out I wouldn’t be replacing her if she chose to step down, but it would be her call. I tried to call her to talk and my call was sent straight to an automated message saying the number is not inservice (um, the number I’ve been texting? That we’ve been talking over?).

I gave it a couple of days to get over my hurt and sorrow at the way she had phrased everything, and texted her (I still got sent right to an automated message every time I tried to call) to ask if she still wanted to be involved in the wedding. She texted me back, and said the tone of my (very polite message: I’ll give you your space, but I would like to know if you do still want to be involved in my wedding. If not, I will respect your decision but I would like to know) was not something to expect between friends. She went on to accuse me of being a bad friend and of attacking her, and she didn’t know if we could move forward like this but do I really still want her to be my MoH with everything? and maybe we should both do some more thinking.

I’ve shown the text correspondence to a few people (my Fiancé, one of my bridesmaids who lives out here with us, and a couple of friends.) Everyone was shocked by what she was saying and the tone of her message. One or the friends was amazed I wasn’t still in tears, and couldn’t believe she’d said what she had or been as rude and sharp.

I feel like I would be justified in asking her to step down, I even feel like she WANTS to step down but make ME be the ‘bad guy’ for making the call. 

I don’t want to damage our friendship any more, but if the wedding is ‘just one day’ to her (and yes-  it may be one day, but it’s the day my Fiancé and I can celebrate our love with our families and celebrate the next step together in our lives, so it’s kind of a big deal) then can it get much worse? It’s not like I’m being crazy overbearing or demanding. I invited her to be my Maid of Honour, and she accepted. I told her I didn’t care if she was involved in the planning, what mattered is that she was there for me and was standing with me when I got married. I feel like she really hasn’t been there for me, or let me be there for her.

Re: Maid of Honour Drama

• Hello All,

I’m looking for advice on a less than desirable subject: Asking my MoH to step down. I know there’s a lot of text, but it’s all relevant to the situation.

A little context: I live in Alberta, my wedding (and MoH) are in Ontario, where I grew up, so I’m taking almost 22 months to plan the big day, which is in this coming September. I’m ‘in’ her wedding party (she’s getting married this summer) but she hasn’t formally asked anyone to be a part of her day yet.

We’re both very ‘type A’ and like to have everything figured out well in advance (especially for me getting married across the country.)

Everything was great early on, but things started to turn sour in July. We were chatting on the phone and she said she felt she may need to step down as MoH – Her job was keeping her too busy to be involved like some of my other bridesmaids were (even though she lived closest to where we were getting married.) I reassured her that I didn’t care if she was involved in the planning of showers or parties or anything like that, what mattered is that she was there for me and was standing with me when I got married. She was appreciative, and asked when I was ordering the dresses for the bridesmaids and what she owed me for them. I told her they were being ordered the following week and quoted her the price, which she would pay back before my card statement was due at the end of the next month(I ordered & paid for the dresses upfront to get them all from the same dye lot, the girls were paying me back.)

Flash forward two months to the beginning of September. I get a very stressed out text for my MoH, so I give her a call. Her venue just told her they double booked the her wedding, and can no longer accommodate her because the event they booked the same day is going to e bigger and better for them. I’m outraged and upset for her – I offer to do any and everything I can, including calling the venue and explaining to them what a contract is. She says not to worry, she and her Fiancé want to figure it out, but thank you so much for calling –I’m the only one who cared enough to pick up the phone and didn’t have some lame excuse. They had some options to consider and she would let me know ASAP when they’d made a decision because she knew I had to book the time off work and buy airline tickets to fly cross country for her wedding. She was sorry she hadn’t sent me the money for the dress yet, but she’d do it soon

Now, let’s look at to October/November. I’ve just flown across the country for a 2-week planning binge during which my mother has offered to host a shower and one of my Bridesmaids has organized it. My MoH has agreed to help me with printing and assembling my invitations the weekend before, but said she had a conference to attend for work in Cali the weekend they’d planned the shower. She would bring the money she owed for the dress to our invitation date (she e-transferred it the next day, finally). She still hasn’t begun looking at alternate options for her wedding/other dates or just eloping (something that’s come up several times in the last 7 years.) I’m absolutely fine with this.

What I’m a little less fine with, is finding out that her conference was cancelled two months ago and she just decided not to show up to the shower. Yes, I understand the ‘wedding’ vibe may be stressing her out, but TELL ME. Don’t tell everyone but me.

Now it’s January, I haven’t heard from her since I saw her in Nov. and still no decisions have been made for her wedding. But let’s talk about headpieces and veils and shoes because ‘I’m feeling good and we’re sitting down next weekend to make a decision.’ Next weekend, they unexpectedly have to go to a funeral a few provinces away with his mother. I text her, apologizing for their loss and saying “I understand you wouldn’t be talking about your wedding this weekend, but do you have an idea of when you might make a decision?” I’m not really supposed to take time off work, but my boss has allowed it and we’d really like to book our airline tickets, and she’s my best friend so I wouldn’t miss her wedding for the world. She snaps at me saying obviously they didn’t talk about the wedding on their 22 hr car ride with his mother. Two weeks later, I get a text saying “wedding is August 20.” And I text her back telling her how excited I am and can she please call me when she has a chance, we really need to catch up.

It’s a month before I try to reach out to her again. I live 5 hrs from the nearest city (and nearest bridal stores) and was heading to the city for the weekend so I was wondering if she had any dresses I needed to try on.

Three days later she texts me back saying she’s sick and doesn’t want to think about anything but if there is anything urgent let her know and she’ll try. I tell her its not urgent, but I hope she feels better and we should have a phone date when she’s better. I check in on her a couple of times over the next two weeks, and then I ask again now that she’s feeling better, if there is anything for me to check out in the city, as I’m unexpectedly going again, but don’t plan to return for a few months.

She tests back and tells me to Back Off. A wedding is one day and she doesn’t care, and I shouldn’t care (sorry, I’m supposed to be your MoH, of course I care! I’ve been looking forward to this day since I met you 7 years ago.) And the only reason I cared when her wedding was, was so that I could plan my shower (which had been suggested by the same bridesmaid who planned the last shower, as an opportunity to have a shower with my friends and family closer to where they were.) This really, really hurt me as I really didn’t care about the shower, I just wanted to be there for her to celebrate her wedding, and I has said I was okay with her not being involved and maybe I really wasn’t. And maybe I should find someone else and they could buy her dress. I told her flat out I wouldn’t be replacing her if she chose to step down, but it would be her call. I tried to call her to talk and my call was sent straight to an automated message saying the number is not inservice (um, the number I’ve been texting? That we’ve been talking over?).

I gave it a couple of days to get over my hurt and sorrow at the way she had phrased everything, and texted her (I still got sent right to an automated message every time I tried to call) to ask if she still wanted to be involved in the wedding. She texted me back, and said the tone of my (very polite message: I’ll give you your space, but I would like to know if you do still want to be involved in my wedding. If not, I will respect your decision but I would like to know) was not something to expect between friends. She went on to accuse me of being a bad friend and of attacking her, and she didn’t know if we could move forward like this but do I really still want her to be my MoH with everything? and maybe we should both do some more thinking.

I’ve shown the text correspondence to a few people (my Fiancé, one of my bridesmaids who lives out here with us, and a couple of friends.) Everyone was shocked by what she was saying and the tone of her message. One or the friends was amazed I wasn’t still in tears, and couldn’t believe she’d said what she had or been as rude and sharp.

I feel like I would be justified in asking her to step down, I even feel like she WANTS to step down but make ME be the ‘bad guy’ for making the call. 

I don’t want to damage our friendship any more, but if the wedding is ‘just one day’ to her (and yes-  it may be one day, but it’s the day my Fiancé and I can celebrate our love with our families and celebrate the next step together in our lives, so it’s kind of a big deal) then can it get much worse? It’s not like I’m being crazy overbearing or demanding. I invited her to be my Maid of Honour, and she accepted. I told her I didn’t care if she was involved in the planning, what mattered is that she was there for me and was standing with me when I got married. I feel like she really hasn’t been there for me, or let me be there for her.

Good grief - where to begin?!?!

A few things first:

- Dye lots are no longer a thing.  Don't let that be a reason why you're buying the dresses.
    - You should not be planning your own shower.  Showers should be hosted by and planned by a friend / family member, not the bride.
    - You had no reason to pester her while she was on her way to a funeral.
    - There is no need to ask your bridal party 2 years in advance.  A lot of things can change in that time and you don't need them to do anything.

She is right - it is one day.  The only responsibilities she has is to purchase her dress and show up to the wedding sober and walk down the aisle.  That's it.  I also agree with her that you need to back off.  She is planning her wedding, you are planning hers.  Let her plan hers the way she wants to on her timeframe.

Regarding not damaging the friendship ... I think it's a little late for that.  If you ask her to step down, that will be the final nail in the coffin..  

• Thanks for your opinion, I do have to disagree with you about it being wrong to 'invoice her' for the dress. It was agreed upon very early on that the girls were paying for their dresses, I just offered to order them together. All of my other Brides Maids had already given me the $ for their dresses.

I didn't expect one question about dresses to be considered 'pushing' her when i asked, but i can see your point.
  • karaveronicakaraveronica member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2016
    Thanks everyone for your input!

• Thanks for your opinion, I do have to disagree with you about it being wrong to 'invoice her' for the dress. It was agreed upon very early on that the girls were paying for their dresses, I just offered to order them together. All of my other Brides Maids had already given me the $ for their dresses.

I didn't expect one question about dresses to be considered 'pushing' her when i asked, but i can see your point.
    I'm glad you're listening to the advice here! When I read the original post, I tallied the things your MOH has gone through:

- Venue cancelling
    - Business trip being cancelled (was there something else there? A demotion or other work issue she might be embarrassed talking about?)
    - Unexpected death in FI's family
    - 22 hour car ride with FMIL
    - Trouble booking a new venue?? (It took them several months, so maybe?)

In her shoes, I wouldn't want to talk about wedding stuff either. It sounds like the whole wedding is a stressor for her, and it's not something she wants to talk about.

What else do you guys share? I'd try to have an honest conversation with her, apologize for pushing the issue, and then move to the conversation to things that will remind you guys why you were such good friends before your both got engaged.
    I understand the venue cancelling is a big thing and not easy. I was so upset for her I was ready to loose it at the venue. It's just very out of character for her to wait as long as she did to organize something again.
    The business trip, i later found out, was something she cancelled as she didn't want to do it any more, which hurt even more that she didn't come celebrate. She's been promoted again at work, and really loves her job, but she has been letting that take priority of her life (part of why she's been so hard to reach)
    The unexpected death and car ride i understand, though i know it was more our of familia obligation that they attended.
    As for the new venue... they used the same place, just took the alternate date the venue offered them early on, so I'm not sure what took so long.

My biggest issue is she is being rude and disrespectful towards me, and she has verbally attacked me (in our last text exchange.) Plus, I know she doesn't like the bridesmaid who's been helping out and organizing everything even though she said she couldn't do it and didn't want to. Back in July when she was worried about it all, she suggested I make the bridesmaid my MoH.

• geebee908 said:

Hello All,

I feel like she really hasn’t been there for me, or let me be there for her.

Sounds like all you want to talk about is your or her wedding when you have any conversation at all. And reading all of this, it sounds like you've been hounding her and she is just tired, for whatever reason, of thinking about wedding things.

Seems like she may have some larger issue she's dealing with that is bigger than either of your weddings. Have you asked her if there's anything going on with her and not spoken of the wedding? I think you need to back off on the wedding and be the good friend you want to be by focusing on your friend's life outside the wedding planning.
    Thanks for your input! I've tried to get in touch with her just to chat (it was a bi-weekly or monthly ritual we had. Wedding talk always came secondary) but she hasn't been answering my calls or texts, which makes it tough. I want to be there for her, but i feel like she's keeping something from me and doesn't want to talk about anything. 
    I didn't think i was hounding her, but maybe you're right

• Hello All,

Good grief - where to begin?!?!

A few things first:

- Dye lots are no longer a thing.  Don't let that be a reason why you're buying the dresses.
    - You should not be planning your own shower.  Showers should be hosted by and planned by a friend / family member, not the bride.
    - You had no reason to pester her while she was on her way to a funeral.
    - There is no need to ask your bridal party 2 years in advance.  A lot of things can change in that time and you don't need them to do anything.

She is right - it is one day.  The only responsibilities she has is to purchase her dress and show up to the wedding sober and walk down the aisle.  That's it.  I also agree with her that you need to back off.  She is planning her wedding, you are planning hers.  Let her plan hers the way she wants to on her timeframe.

Regarding not damaging the friendship ... I think it's a little late for that.  If you ask her to step down, that will be the final nail in the coffin..  

Thanks for your input!!

I didn't realize dye lots were no longer a thing, which is part of the reason I ordered the dresses. The other part is the shop we were purchasing from wasn't going to carry the designer any longer and it made sense to order from the same shop I got my dress.

I have not planned any showers, or had input. I'm not sure where she came to that conclusion (or what I said to make it appear so?) My mother hosted the shower in Nov. and it was planned by a bridesmaid. That same bridesmaid wants to plan and host another shower in August when I go back.

In regards to the pestering while she was at the funeral, hindsight is 20/20 and yes, it probably wasn't the best time to be asking about her setting a date, but I was asking as she had struck up a conversation regarding her veil and headpiece etc. and I though it was safe territory. I was quick to apologize when I realized.

A part of me wants to argue that I'm not so much asking her to step down, as I am accepting her offer to step down. But I know it's not that black and white. 

• missfrodo said:

Hello All,

It sounds to me like she's really stressed out with everything that's going on in her life, and doesn't want to talk about weddings with you right now.  Maybe she isn't answering your calls because she's afraid you'll just talk about both of your weddings, and that's just too stressful for her right now?  

I think it's hard to get an accurate tone from texts.  Both of you seem to be misinterpreting the tone of the other's messages and getting upset.  I would avoid texting her for a little while until everything is sorted out.  Since you can't call her, maybe write her a heartfelt letter about how much she and her friendship means to you, that you still care about her, etc.  Not sure if that would work or if she'd still read a negative "tone" to it.  

Her wedding isn't until August.  I would stop asking her about her wedding; she obviously doesn't want to deal with it right now, and you're only going to push her farther away if you keep asking about it.  Trust that, if you're a part of the WP, she'll let you know what you need to know and give you enough time to order the dress.  If it's August 20 and she hasn't contacted you about getting a dress, it's on her for missing out on that opportunity.  

As for your wedding, you say you just want her standing with you when you get married, yet you're disappointed that she hasn't been there for you.  She may feel that you are expecting more from her and resent her lack of interest or enthusiasm toward your wedding, but you are absolutely right that it is just another day for her, and no one will be as excited about your wedding as you and your FI.  It sounds like you have other people that want to throw you parties and help you out, which is great!  But that's not how this friend wants to/is able to spend her time, and that's fine too.  

Does it suck that she didn't tell you the truth about not attending your shower?  Yes, but I wouldn't end a friendship over it!  

It really sounds like she needs some time to figure the stuff in her life out, and unfortunately she sees you as adding more stress instead of a shoulder to cry on.  I would leave her alone for as long as you can.  Send her an invite if they haven't gone out already, and if she RSVP's yes, assume she still wants to be in your wedding.  Then, once your wedding is over, touch base with her about non-wedding stuff.  If she still wants you as a part of her wedding, she'll probably talk about her wedding then.  But if she doesn't bring up her wedding, I wouldn't either.  
    Thanks for your input! I really appreciate the feed back :) She and I used to have a standing phone date where we would talk about any any everything bi-weekly or once a month. She's been hard to reach and we haven't been able to keep that up. Weddings are usually the last thing we talk about, but I understand where that could be an issue or a topic. 

Nothing i do seems to work, emails, snail-mail, voice mail.... I'd love to believe tone is difficult to determine, but it seemed really clear she was 'yelling' by typing in all caps.

It's out of character for her to not want to talk about her wedding, but i will take your advice and let that go. 

I'm disapointed she hasn't been there as a friend, not as my MoH. We went through some sketchy stuff with my in-laws a little while back and I wanted to talk through it with my bestie, but she wouldn't answer my texts or voice mails. Thats what hurts more than anything...
  • adk19 said:
    Did I read that right?  You're 22 months out from your wedding?  If so, do everyone a big favor and take a HUGE step back.  Don't even SAY the word bridesmaid until you're 9 months out.  Then you can start ordering dresses and making party plans.  Re-evaluate then.  If your MOH is a bad friend, feel free to kick her out.  If she's just a human with regular human responsibilities, leave everything as is and get on with your life and wedding.
    We're about 7 months out right now. I live across the country, and there will be 22 months between engagment and wedding. (Wedding is September 2016.)

Dresses are ordered (and paid for now) and it's getting to the details now that we're working on, but that's just my Fiance and I. She's just been very out of touch since what happened with her venue (which i get and respect) but hasn't been there for me at all, unless she snapping at me for asking a question or checking in on how she's feeling.
  • So what does she need to "be there for you" for besides just being a friend? You mention this a few times that she's hasn't been there for you and you're upset. I get missing your friend, but there isn't anything that a MOH needs to do (including assembling invites, showers, etc that you mention she hasn't done). She told you in July she couldn't do these things, you told her that was ok, and now, from what I gather, you're saying it's not ok. 

I Think this is a bride problem not a MOH problem. She told you what she could/couldn't do and you told her it was fine. If you're not fine with it you need to adjust your expectations here. She's had a rough year, maybe cut her some slack, she was upfront with you, sounds like you didn't hear it. I'd back off. 
  • So what does she need to "be there for you" for besides just being a friend? You mention this a few times that she's hasn't been there for you and you're upset. I get missing your friend, but there isn't anything that a MOH needs to do (including assembling invites, showers, etc that you mention she hasn't done). She told you in July she couldn't do these things, you told her that was ok, and now, from what I gather, you're saying it's not ok. 

I Think this is a bride problem not a MOH problem. She told you what she could/couldn't do and you told her it was fine. If you're not fine with it you need to adjust your expectations here. She's had a rough year, maybe cut her some slack, she was upfront with you, sounds like you didn't hear it. I'd back off. 
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Maybe I've read it wrong, but it seems like she's saying "be there for" in a friend sense. If they had bi-weekly phone dates to chat and those have been cut off, that's a huge deal and I'd be rightly upset about it.

That said, it does sound like OP has overwhelmed her MOH with the wedding talk, whether it was intentional or not. Take a step back, take the advice you get here and think about the best way to get in touch with her. It sucks that she's blocked your calls and you're unable to talk with her on the phone. But the friendship isn't going to fix itself if you're not able to have a conversation with her about it. It is possible that her cutting off communication is her saying she doesn't want to fix the friendship, which is unfortunate. It's also possible that she just needs a break.

The issue i'm having is that she's not being a friend. I don't care if she's not planning showers or anything silly like that, I care that she wont talk to be about anything, let alone the wedding, and snaps at me when i try to reach out to her, or is rude in her response. 
    I'm fine with her not planning. But if I ask a question, i don't think its to much to expect an answer.

• kylexo said:
    So what does she need to "be there for you" for besides just being a friend? You mention this a few times that she's hasn't been there for you and you're upset. I get missing your friend, but there isn't anything that a MOH needs to do (including assembling invites, showers, etc that you mention she hasn't done). She told you in July she couldn't do these things, you told her that was ok, and now, from what I gather, you're saying it's not ok. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Maybe I've read it wrong, but it seems like she's saying "be there for" in a friend sense. If they had bi-weekly phone dates to chat and those have been cut off, that's a huge deal and I'd be rightly upset about it.

That said, it does sound like OP has overwhelmed her MOH with the wedding talk, whether it was intentional or not. Take a step back, take the advice you get here and think about the best way to get in touch with her. It sucks that she's blocked your calls and you're unable to talk with her on the phone. But the friendship isn't going to fix itself if you're not able to have a conversation with her about it. It is possible that her cutting off communication is her saying she doesn't want to fix the friendship, which is unfortunate. It's also possible that she just needs a break.
    Thanks for your input! I don't feel like I've overwhelmed her with wedding talk - just tried to be supportive with what she is going through and there for her as a friend through it. However, all the responses I've gotten here are encouraging me to re-evaluate that. 
    That being said, I don't feel like I overstepped asking her things relevent to the wedding either. 'The biggest one has been what size boot do you need?' as We're splitting the cost of the cowboy boots our party is wearing with them.

I just look back on everything and I worry that she wont be there for the rehearsal or the wedding after all this... Is it really that out of line to tell her "i haven't been listening to what you've been trying to tell me, that you don't want to be my MoH  (which she has never outright said, just alluded to) so I'll ask someone else to step up for that but I still want you by my side on my wedding day"?

• kylexo said:
    So what does she need to "be there for you" for besides just being a friend? You mention this a few times that she's hasn't been there for you and you're upset. I get missing your friend, but there isn't anything that a MOH needs to do (including assembling invites, showers, etc that you mention she hasn't done). She told you in July she couldn't do these things, you told her that was ok, and now, from what I gather, you're saying it's not ok. 

Thanks for your input! I don't feel like I've overwhelmed her with wedding talk - just tried to be supportive with what she is going through and there for her as a friend through it. However, all the responses I've gotten here are encouraging me to re-evaluate that. 
    That being said, I don't feel like I overstepped asking her things relevent to the wedding either. 'The biggest one has been what size boot do you need?' as We're splitting the cost of the cowboy boots our party is wearing with them.

I just look back on everything and I worry that she wont be there for the rehearsal or the wedding after all this... Is it really that out of line to tell her "i haven't been listening to what you've been trying to tell me, that you don't want to be my MoH  (which she has never outright said, just alluded to) so I'll ask someone else to step up for that but I still want you by my side on my wedding day"?
    Yes, it's really out of line to tell her that. She hasn't stepped down, so it would be wrong of you to assume she's planning to, and basically urge her to do so. And it would also be out of line for you to choose a replacement MOH. Bridal party members aren't replaceable. If she steps down, then you don't have a MOH. Nobody wants to be a consolation MOH. 
    --

• If she doesn't show up for the wedding, you don't have a MOH.  Sad, but that's that.  Then after the wedding you can re-evaluate your friendship and determine whether it's worth the work, or you'll just let it fizzle.  Until she doesn't actually show up to walk down the aisle, she is your MOH.  You don't ask her if she wants to step down.  You don't ask her if she's Up For It.  You don't have a substitute MOH waiting in the wings.  You just walk down the aisle behind your bridesmaids and get married.  I'm sorry you miss your friend, but this is not in any way a wedding issue.  It's a friend issue.  I suggest you don't say another word to your friend about your wedding until the invitations go out and you start receiving RSVPs in the mail.

Oh, and I'd never in a million years wear cowboy boots to a wedding, I don't care who is paying for them.
  • Apologies if I interpreted "being there for you" wrong, there are a lot of brides that come on here claiming their wedding party needs to "support them" in the planning/wedding process. I get missing your friendship and not really having her act like a friend. Again, sounds like she's got a lot going on now and any talk about weddings is too much for her. 

If you suggest she step down/replace her/any variation on this then you're effectively ending the friendship. There isn't anything additional she has to do as a MOH rather than a BM so asking someone else to "step up" in her place is pretty rude and if it were me I'd be really hurt. She tried to step down before, you asked her not to, don't try and get her to back out now. 

To be honest I'd be overwhelmed with all the wedding talk; you're getting married in 7 months and you already have dresses bought and paid for, are buying cowboy boots (which I agree with @adk19 I'd say no too, regardless of who pays), have had a shower, are having another one, have asked her about dates and dresses (and a pretty inappropriate time). I get wanting to be organized and "type A" but your friend is saying it's too much. She may ask you to be in her wedding and say get a dress in x color by the date. Or just show up.

It sucks she's snapping at you, not returning calls or texts and that she isn't there for you. If you want a relationship with her in the future don't return her attitude with being rude as well. Invite her, hope she shows, and then reasses the friendship after the wedding.  

• Thanks everyone! You've given me another perspective and lots to think about! I appreciate the input :) I think my self and some of my friends are a little too close to the situation.

And to everyone opposed to cowboy boots... You're missing out! They are the most comfortable thing EVER :smile: and they were the one thing we talked about early on and everyone agreed to, so that's not a sticking point.

I'll give her space and hope things sort themselves out (fingers crossed) and just look forward to my next whirlwind trip out east for another wedding planning spree.

Thanks all!!
  • OP - PP have it covered. I hope that things turn out okay. I will say that being from rural Alberta ... cowboy boots make sense. Most of the weddings I've been in or to are dominated by them. You almost look weird if you don't have them on :)

• And to everyone opposed to cowboy boots... You're missing out! They are the most comfortable thing EVER :smile: and they were the one thing we talked about early on and everyone agreed to, so that's not a sticking point.

If that's the case, then by all means, enjoy wearing them.  But it's not up to you to decide what other people are comfortable in.
  • I'll give her space and hope things sort themselves out (fingers crossed)
    This is definitely the right approach. Whether it was wedding-related or not, she is clearly overwhelmed by all the talk in general. I understand you're hurt by her not responding to the multiple ways you're trying to reach her, but as others have mentioned there may be other things going on in her life that are higher priority than your bi-weekly convos.

As your MOH, all she need to do is get a dress and show up. She has the dress, so she has nothing else to do for you until September. If you're insisting on a certain boot, just let her know the model - she can get it herself and invoice you for your share. You may think getting everyone's boots is helpful but it could come across as overbearing or micromanaging.

As her MOH, all you need to do is get a dress and show up. It sucks that you didn't know what dates to book off work for a while there, but she gave you eight months notice which is an appropriate amount of time. Now you know when to show up. It sucks that you didn't know what dress to shop for when you were in the city, but it's not your job to keep reminding her to pick one. If she never picks one, you get to wear whatever you want, woo-hoo!

Weddings really are just one day. Your wedding will be a very special very important day for you, but it's still just one day. Your MOH provided you a reality check when she told you this. I think your next contact should be to thank her for it and apologize for coming on too strong.
  • I forgot to mention this last night because I saw that you'd changed your mind about asking her (again) to step down, but I just wanted to add:

It sucks that she lied about why she couldn't come to your shower, lying is wrong and she shouldn't have done it. But that + not "being there" for you every 14 days for regular phone calls + giving you the above-mentioned much-needed does of reality is NOT any reason to ask her to step down.

Eight months out is the time when people should be asking people to be in their bridal party, not demanding to know whether they're stepping down. And you mentioned you wouldn't replace her, but said you'd find someone else to buy her dress. Was that in case she didn't know how to use kijiji..? Sounds to me like a back-up bridesmaid. I don't know what all she responded with that was so shocking and hurtful, but I can understand her being very upset by what you said.

I hope you realize you've gotten carried away with the stress of planning and I wish you luck mending this relationship.
  • Heffalump said:

And to everyone opposed to cowboy boots... You're missing out! They are the most comfortable thing EVER :smile: and they were the one thing we talked about early on and everyone agreed to, so that's not a sticking point.

If that's the case, then by all means, enjoy wearing them.  But it's not up to you to decide what other people are comfortable in.
    I appreciate your opinion, but the Cowboy boots aren't the subject of the discussion. Besides, it's something me and my girls live in on our own - i'm just subsidizing the updated footwear for the wedding.

• I forgot to mention this last night because I saw that you'd changed your mind about asking her (again) to step down, but I just wanted to add:

It sucks that she lied about why she couldn't come to your shower, lying is wrong and she shouldn't have done it. But that + not "being there" for you every 14 days for regular phone calls + giving you the above-mentioned much-needed does of reality is NOT any reason to ask her to step down.

Eight months out is the time when people should be asking people to be in their bridal party, not demanding to know whether they're stepping down. And you mentioned you wouldn't replace her, but said you'd find someone else to buy her dress. Was that in case she didn't know how to use kijiji..? Sounds to me like a back-up bridesmaid. I don't know what all she responded with that was so shocking and hurtful, but I can understand her being very upset by what you said.

I hope you realize you've gotten carried away with the stress of planning and I wish you luck mending this relationship.
    Thanks! I really appreciate it. 

The reason I had contemplated allowing her to step down was her original request as she 'didn't think she could do everything' and a subsequent conversation where she again said "maybe she wasn't right and if I didn't want her, the next girl could buy the dress from her" where I told her I wouldn't be replacing her so I wouldn't have anyone to buy said dress from her. I did say it would be her decision, but the language she used seemed to me, to be her asking me to 'fire' her because she doesn't just want to step down on her own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards