Flowers

Corsages and Boutonniers

I am getting boutonnieres and corsages for groom, both sets of parents and my grandfather. I'm wondering wrist vs. lapel for ladies and pin vs. magnet for lapel choices. Everyone receiving has declined to give an opinion so hoping for Knotties opinions. My florist can do any option.

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Corsages and Boutonniers

• ernursej said:

I am getting boutonnieres and corsages for groom, both sets of parents and my grandfather. I'm wondering wrist vs. lapel for ladies and pin vs. magnet for lapel choices. Everyone receiving has declined to give an opinion so hoping for Knotties opinions. My florist can do any option.

Thanks in advance! :)

I am not a fan of corsages.  I carried a very small bouquet at my daughter's wedding and opted for no flowers at my son's wedding.  I would definitely choose a wrist option over a corsage.  For the men, I don't know that either makes a big difference.
  • @MobKaz thanks! Appreciate your thoughts.
  • I should also say that no one has to have anything, but everyone expressed an interest in having something that indicated they were an honoured guest. If anyone has another idea of how we can show that ... open to ideas.
  • Wrist corsages say Prom to me. Are magnets strong enough to hold a corsage?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @AddieCakeI never thought about that ... but I did have a wrist for grad/prom so I could totally see that. Yes, according to my florist, she has an option that works really well and apparently it is something that more brides are asking for.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was going to say- ask them what they prefer, but clearly you've tried that ;).

Sometimes pin on corsages are not great for strapless dresses, depending on the weight/fabric of the dress and the weight of the corsage.

We got corsages for both mothers and SIL, SIL requested wrist corsage and both moms requested pin on.

I've never heard of or tried (or known DH to try) the magnetic bout, so I can't comment on how well it stands up. Can the florist show you the magnetic and you can try it out?
  • I would definitely use magnets if it's an option, then!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks @AddieCake and @SP29 I have my appointment next weekend so I'll ask to see samples and will wear a thick sweater and bring a suit jacket to see how they standup.
  • We did pin-on corsages for the women and pin-on bouts for the men, but I don't think our florist had a magnetic option.  No one had a strapless dress, so i can't speak to that.  
    I'm curious to know how the magnet thing works out--let us know after your appointment!

• So they all want flowers but won't tell you what kind of flowers they want?  Fun.

I would get the women small nosegays.

I would also go with pin on bouts, because yes a magnet may hold it in place while they are standing still, but if the person is hugging people the bout could easily be knocked off.  Pinning on a bout is not that difficult and make sure you get two pins...one to go in from the top and the other to in from the bottom.

• I like the nosegay idea as well - but you've got to price it out with your florist.  If you know the type of dress/suit they'll be wearing it's easy to figure out which type would work best.  You could even have them ready for both and decide that day. 
  • At daughter's wedding, the florist only gave me one long pearl ended pin to secure the corsage onto my suit lapel.  Not enough!  It fell off three times during the reception, and I gave up.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I like the nosegay idea as well - but you've got to price it out with your florist.  If you know the type of dress/suit they'll be wearing it's easy to figure out which type would work best.  You could even have them ready for both and decide that day. 
    I carried a nosegay at DD's wedding. It was about the same price as a corsage, but yes check with your florist OP.
  • @Maggie0829 - They all said to match the flowers we were using for my bouquet and groom bout but were indecisive about pin vs. magnetic and wrist vs. lapel. Good point about the hugging. I'm personally fine with the act of pinning, it was more about leaving holes in fabric. Since I wrote my original post, my FI has decided that he doesn't want anything going through the fabric of his new suit. I just asked my Mom about nosegays and she declined. She said she didn't want to have to hold something. I feel like nosegays are out for my ladies (although still waiting to hear back from FMIL), but appreciate the idea!

@CMGragain, will make sure to have extra pins if we are going the pin on route.

• Has anyone DIYed their corsage/boutonnieres? Floral or non-floral.

I don't want to spend $100+ on corsages/boutonnieres, but I'm nervous about DIY with real flowers since that's one more thing to DIY in the day or two leading up to the wedding. I'm already DIYing my bouquets (just 1 bridesmaid).

With non-floral, I'm not sure how to handle matching the bouquets to the corsages and bouts: thinking dried or paper flowers (any suggestions here?). If I use the same paper or dried flower in the bouquets with real flowers, would that will look odd?

With real flowers, if I DIY, how early can I do those realistically? And how hard is it really?

I'd love input or to know what other people have done.

• thatgirl2 said:
    Has anyone DIYed their corsage/boutonnieres? Floral or non-floral.

I don't want to spend $100+ on corsages/boutonnieres, but I'm nervous about DIY with real flowers since that's one more thing to DIY in the day or two leading up to the wedding. I'm already DIYing my bouquets (just 1 bridesmaid).

With non-floral, I'm not sure how to handle matching the bouquets to the corsages and bouts: thinking dried or paper flowers (any suggestions here?). If I use the same paper or dried flower in the bouquets with real flowers, would that will look odd?

With real flowers, if I DIY, how early can I do those realistically? And how hard is it really?

@thatgirl2, this post is from March. It is polite to start a new post, especially when this much time has past and that the topic is different.
  • thatgirl2 said:
    Has anyone DIYed their corsage/boutonnieres? Floral or non-floral.

It's customary to start a new post instead of bringing back zombie threads...

The simple answer is - order a kit of flowers already made such that all you need to do is chop off the stems and place them in water (which is more time consuming than you think it'd be!).. Sam's, Costco, FTD, etc. offer Wedding Flowers and Corsages/Bouts premade.  The big thing with DIY flowers you've got to ask is 1) Are you already skilled in floral design, 2) Do you already own everything you need except for the fresh flowers to do it? (wire, ribbons, cutters, foam, floral tape, corsage pins, add-ons, etc.)  3) Where are you going to get the flowers from and can you realistically do this yourself solo when you have zero time (Asking your WP to DIY the flowers with you you'll find on here is a non-starter).  Like any DIY project, it has the potential to save money and it has the potential to make you spend triple what you'd have spent to have a florist work with a reasonable budget and just do it right the first time.  The more flexibility you give your florist the more reasonable things will be, but it also starts with giving your florist a list of NEEDED flowers and a number you're comfortable with spending (be realistic!  You don't work at your job for free, don't expect your florist to!) and being willing to work with them.  That's how you can get that budget back in check without lifting a finger to DIY something that may or may not save you a penny...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards