Snarky Brides

Can I rant please? It's his wedding too!

I was on another UK forum and saw something that really dissapointed me.  The bride said her FI really really wanted a particular band.  However the band was £2K including travel and accommodation etc so she said they couldn't justify this amount.  Fair enough I thought, they are on a budget.  

Then reading the planning report further it appears she has ordered fireworks for £600, a fairy light canopy for £300, chair covers for £350 and was considering sequinned table clothes for £35 each to hire.

I'm not against venue dressing but I think it's such a shame if it comes ahead of the "only thing he's really asked for" and he is gutted about it but she thinks with the fireworks she doesn't really need a band.

If I pulled this crap with my FI he would tell me to piss off!

Rant over sorry x

Re: Can I rant please? It's his wedding too!

• Thats because it's all about

• edited March 2016
    Good music trumps any decor. FW and my tastes in music vary somewhat (we love some of the same things but not all), but if one of her favorite artists played wedding receptions and I had the means to hire them, you bet your ass I'd do so. I'd take three jobs and live on ramen if I had to.

That bride needs to get over herself and remember her FI and her guests are more important than any number of fairy lights or fireworks.

P.S. I don't know about the U.K., but in some parts of the U.S., private fireworks displays are illegal. I hope she's checked local ordinances or that's 600 pounds she'll never get back.
  • Yeah, no that's bull.  

My DH has a huge family he's very close to.  Apart from getting married, that was really the only thing he cared about, was having everyone there.  Did I get my "dream wedding?"  No.  But we got OUR dream wedding, because we made sure to prioritize what was most important to both of us. 
  • People are stupid. Music was one thing H was in charge of. He did unfortunately have to compromise on the walking down the aisle song - only because he wanted an AC/DC song and it wouldn't work. He did get that song as our entrance and the wedding party did another AC/DC song he chose. Plus he chose our first dance song, so long run he did get all he wanted.
  • That is a shame!  I'd certainly be really sympathetic with her if the cost of the band was like half their budget and/or they'd have to cut back on more important stuff (like the guest list and food).  But, yeah.  Fireworks/fairy lights/fancy tablecloths over your FI's favorite band?  Come on!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • £600 seems to me to be really cheap for fireworks. I imagine you could spend thousands of pounds to entertain guests for 20 minutes or more. Logically, they should go with the FI favorite band because not only will it make him happy, but they'll be getting more for what they paid for and guests will be entertained for longer.  Anyway, as they always say... not my monkeys, not my circus. 
  • CMGragain have you been putting pearls on your cat you naughty girl?
  • Thank you! The amount of people who, unasked, keep telling my FH that "it's all about what she wants, just accept it," is ludicrous. I want it to be OUR day and they keep telling him to basically not have an opinion. 
    "It's like a Lifetime Christmas movie, only better!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you! The amount of people who, unasked, keep telling my FH that "it's all about what she wants, just accept it," is ludicrous. I want it to be OUR day and they keep telling him to basically not have an opinion. 
    So many people keep saying (to my husband and to me, separately and together) "happy wife happy life" and I just want to scream. It's ridiculous how many people perpetuate these stereotypes. I want him to be as happy as he wants me to be, if he's unhappy then I'm unhappy and vice versa. Yes, you want your partner to be happy, but come on.
    So many people keep saying (to my husband and to me, separately and together) "happy wife happy life" and I just want to scream. It's ridiculous how many people perpetuate these stereotypes. I want him to be as happy as he wants me to be, if he's unhappy then I'm unhappy and vice versa. Yes, you want your partner to be happy, but come on.
    My (male) CTO told me this at work almost as soon as I got engaged. I think I had to bite my tongue so hard it bled not to say something. I hate that kind of mindset. 
    My (male) CTO told me this at work almost as soon as I got engaged. I think I had to bite my tongue so hard it bled not to say something. I hate that kind of mindset. 
    We got told the same thing by people. I would turn around to "doesn't it take both to be happy to have a happy life?"
    Seemed to shut people up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards