Wedding Party

Family Drama

Hey guys! I have an interesting situation and I am hoping someone knows how to deal with this. My fiancé has an older brother and older sister, we had already determined who we wanted in our parties, all of his guys accepted and all but one of my girls accepted. I was going to have my future sister-in-law to be a bridesmaid to fill the last spot, her daughter is already the flower girl so it kind of just fit. Well before we could even ask the sister we get a call from his parents, apparently his brother is upset that he isn't involved in the wedding. I should note we are at the very beginning of the planning and haven't gotten that far yet. So parent called because brother is upset. What bothers me is that both my fiancé and his brother live in the same house and he could have come to us and asked if we needed help or just offer his services but instead went and made a big deal about this to the parents. So we have drama there and to make it better if too much of his family is involved my mother gets upset even though I don't have anyone for any position in the wedding other than as guests. We need a diplomatic solution without feeling pressure from parents to make them all happy. Hopefully someone with more experience can offer a solution. 

Re: Family Drama

• I would encourage you to have a direct conversation with the brother and avoid any back and forth with parents or other family members.

I'm not sure how far out you are from your wedding date, but often, choosing bridal party members is left for later on in the planning. You've already selected your wedding party and no one can be uninvited from the role or replaced if they are not able to be part of your day.

• Are you close to your FSIL?  Do you consider her a dear friend?  If not, don't ask her to be in your wedding just to fill a spot.  Like a PP said, these people are not props and sides do not have to be even.

As for the FBIL drama, let your FI deal with it.

I am always so shocked when people get so pissed when they aren't included in a wedding.  Like is being just a guest that horrible?  I am of the mind that being a guest is awesome because you still get to attend the wedding but you get to wear whatever the hell you want, enjoy cocktail hour instead of taking a shit ton of pictures, and save a bunch of money that would have otherwise gone to parties for the bride or groom.
    Right?????
  • Your FI should tell his parents: "We each chose our bridal party based on who we feel closest to, and those are our decisions to make alone.  You and FI's parents do not get a say."

And he should tell his brother: "Two things, bro: It's strictly up to me who my groomsmen are, and if that bothers you, you should have come directly to me instead of going behind my back and complaining to Mom and Dad.  And that goes for everything else about my wedding.  Get over it."  

And then you both need to tell your parents to butt out of each other's business.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    Hey guys! I have an interesting situation and I am hoping someone knows how to deal with this. My fiancé has an older brother and older sister, we had already determined who we wanted in our parties, all of his guys accepted and all but one of my girls accepted. I was going to have my future sister-in-law to be a bridesmaid to fill the last spot, her daughter is already the flower girl so it kind of just fit. Well before we could even ask the sister we get a call from his parents, apparently his brother is upset that he isn't involved in the wedding. I should note we are at the very beginning of the planning and haven't gotten that far yet. So parent called because brother is upset. What bothers me is that both my fiancé and his brother live in the same house and he could have come to us and asked if we needed help or just offer his services but instead went and made a big deal about this to the parents. So we have drama there and to make it better if too much of his family is involved my mother gets upset even though I don't have anyone for any position in the wedding other than as guests. We need a diplomatic solution without feeling pressure from parents to make them all happy. Hopefully someone with more experience can offer a solution. 
    CN:  Groom's parents telephone to say brother is upset that he isn't in the wedding party.

How do you know that your FI's brother is really upset about this?  Did your FI talk to him?  Why not?  You are taking hear say from the parents as gospel.  Ever play "telephone" in elementary school? 
    Fi needs to talk to his brother immediately.  You should butt out.
    I do hope you aren't one of those silly brides who thinks the sides have to be even in your wedding party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Are you holding any auditions to "fill" that last "spot"? My best friend just eloped, so I didn't get to be a bridesmaid. I was expecting to be, so if I could fill that spot for you, I could get some satisfaction. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards