Chit Chat

My friend put a Corvette on his wedding registry.

edited March 2016 in Chit Chat
I am mortified.

ETA- it's like a group funding wedding gift registry, where people can "contribute" to gifts. The Corvette could be a joke, but I am seriously side-eyeing it.

Re: My friend put a Corvette on his wedding registry.

• I am mortified.

ETA- it's like a group funding wedding gift registry, where people can "contribute" to gifts. The Corvette could be a joke, but I am seriously side-eyeing it.
    I'm more disgusted by the car choice. A corvette? Are you friends with Sammy Hagar in 1987?
    LOL!!!!

I think what makes it worse is that he bought himself a Corvette a few years ago and ended up selling it for financial reasons.

• That's one thing that bothers me about registering for big ticket items, rather than just not registering and taking whatever cash you get--- he's not going to get the money for the Corvette. And then what? Five years later, Grandma says, "Why didn't you buy the Corvette honey?" and the guy says, "Well people didn't give us enough so I used the money to pay some student loans instead."

I like to give a full gift that'll get used properly (like, a toaster) or give cash knowing cash could go towards something fun or something as mundane as the phone bill. 

• @thisismynickname Yes! Exactly! I scrolled through the entire registry and honestly, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a single item on there in full. So I guess I will just be getting them a gift card or giving cash.

• I am mortified.

I'm more disgusted by the car choice. A corvette? Are you friends with Sammy Hagar in 1987?
    LOL!!!!

I think what makes it worse is that he bought himself a Corvette a few years ago and ended up selling it for financial reasons.

Does he think if he gets his friends to fund the car that the other financial aspects of owning one go away?? Not to mention, how in the world do you expect to get that much money from friends/family???
  • I am mortified.

We were in Cabo airport last year and Sammy Hagar walked through the airport we did a double take but I guess he goes there so much that all the airport staff know him
  • I'm actually giggling at this.... but I'm in a quirky mood today.
  • I am mortified.

Can he drive 55?
  • @thisismynickname Yes! Exactly! I scrolled through the entire registry and honestly, I wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a single item on there in full. So I guess I will just be getting them a gift card or giving cash.
    What the heck??? Do people just put expensive shit on their registry because they figure it's the only chance they'll have to get it or something??? I thought everyone knew to put a range of prices so your broke friends don't feel like jerks for giving you a check for $20.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    What the heck??? Do people just put expensive shit on their registry because they figure it's the only chance they'll have to get it or something??? I thought everyone knew to put a range of prices so your broke friends don't feel like jerks for giving you a check for $20.
    Right?!

Some of the registries my friends put together were seriously tasteless. I personally give money 95% of the time, but if the only options you give for 90y/o great aunt hilda are a £400 KitchenAid mixer and china that is £25 for the smallest part you are just asking to receive off registry gifts

I want that! Where can I find that?
    For real! I was scrolling through thinking "Well this is embarrassing"... Because we aren't talking about stuff that was $15 or $20 out of my budget, it was like a $500 Kitchenaid stand mixer, a $300 Keurig, etc.

• Re this comment: "Do people just put expensive shit on their registry because they figure it's the only chance they'll have to get it or something??? "

I think some people do actually. It's like everyone has that One Rich Auntie who will buy something crazy. My best friend's husband insisted upon registering for a full size popcorn machine (like the kind you'd see at a good dive bar) and she was so embarrassed. But they got it and it's the one gift they use, like, weekly because they love movie theatre popcorn. 
    As long as a registry isn't all obnoxiously expensive stuff I won't side-eye the few big ticket items. 

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I am mortified.

You know, every time I read your pointed comments, I read them in a refined British accent and sometimes I think, "Man, just one time, just once, I wish I could hear LondonLisa actually say her comment aloud, in her actual voice, rather than reading it".  This is no exception.  Burst out laughing this morning on this, right through my hangover.  

STUCK IN BOX

I picture Emily Blunt in Devil Wears Prada ;-) 
    Though I feel like I read in another post that she grew up in Ireland...maybe she sounds more like mrs doyle.....

@LondonLisa you'll have to set the record straight, we can't live like this!
    Ha!

I did spend a lot of my childhood in Ireland, but I think I just have a generic RP due to years of boarding school in England and having a British father. 

I wish I had a good Cork, Welsh Valleys, Yorkshire or Geordie accent but I'm afraid I'm rather boring...

Although true #accentgoals for throwing shade obviously remains with the undeniably fantastic Patsy Stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfmM06pVUw&list=PLYVzHt1yAylB0zKq9Y43_veouCTHxArh0

@GlasgowtoLondon I hope you have a fab Kelly MacDonald Glaswegian accent
  • @LondonLisa
    re: Yorkshire or Geordie- most of my relatives live in Yorkshire or up by Newcastle. They are very hard to understand. I'm used to it, but when my sister's and my husbands met the extended family up there, it was a bit deer-in-the-headlights! I always have to tell people my family does not speak "the Queen's English." My family has to articulate with Americans or not use slang otherwise we'd be very lost. 

• I am mortified.

I dunno... I've never been a 'vette girl (at least not for anything later than the late '60s 'vettes), but have you seen the new Stingrays?  Those babies are gorgeous; they look more like Ferraris than Corvettes!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • LD1970 said:
    I am mortified.

I dunno... I've never been a 'vette girl (at least not for anything later than the late '60s 'vettes), but have you seen the new Stingrays?  Those babies are gorgeous; they look more like Ferraris than Corvettes!

agreed!  My H is very much a car guy and when we go to local car gatherings there are always a lot of what we think of as stereotypical mid life crisis men with corvettes (usually from the 90s/early 2000s at this point). So he's anti-Corvette but we both agree that the Stingrays are sweet though I still don't see him ever getting one.
  • I'd take one in a heartbeat.  It's on my list.  The new one, the '69, and the '57.  It's a long list.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West

• You know, every time I read your pointed comments, I read them in a refined British accent and sometimes I think, "Man, just one time, just once, I wish I could hear LondonLisa actually say her comment aloud, in her actual voice, rather than reading it".  This is no exception.  Burst out laughing this morning on this, right through my hangover.  

STUCK IN BOX

I picture Emily Blunt in Devil Wears Prada ;-) 
    Though I feel like I read in another post that she grew up in Ireland...maybe she sounds more like mrs doyle.....

@LondonLisa you'll have to set the record straight, we can't live like this!
    Ha!

I did spend a lot of my childhood in Ireland, but I think I just have a generic RP due to years of boarding school in England and having a British father. 

I wish I had a good Cork, Welsh Valleys, Yorkshire or Geordie accent but I'm afraid I'm rather boring...

Although true #accentgoals for throwing shade obviously remains with the undeniably fantastic Patsy Stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfmM06pVUw&list=PLYVzHt1yAylB0zKq9Y43_veouCTHxArh0

@GlasgowtoLondon I hope you have a fab Kelly MacDonald Glaswegian accent
    No such luck, I sound more like david tennant doing this:

• When we first set up our registry FI kept joking about putting a yacht on there. *eyeroll*
  • Should've just asked for cash like normal ppl and done with it as he pleases 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards