Wedding Etiquette Forum

Guest List and Invitations

I've been invited to a couple weddings this year. I live abroad (outside the US) and I've been with my now fiancé for seven years. He hasn't been invited to any of the weddings. Should they have extended the invite to him out of courtesy? Just curious on the etiquette. 

Re: Guest List and Invitations

• Yes. It is terribly rude to not invite one's significant other, regardless of how long they have been dating, whether the marrying couple has met them, etc.
  • Yes, they should have. You should call and clarify if he is invited. If the couple says no, you should decline the invitation.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Of course they should have invited him. There is no excuse for them not to.
  • Yes, definitely. Before you decline, I'd call or email and say something along the lines of "Hi Jane. Love the invitations! Just confirming John, my fiancé, is also invited. Thanks!" If their answer is anything but: "Yes! Of course, I'm so embarrassed I missed him!" Don't attend- it is beyond rude to disrespect your relationship like that, and those are friendships not worth the effort of international plane travel. 
    QFT!
  • Okay. Thanks everyone. I know he most likely not attending because of the distance and cost, but it still would have been nice if they had addressed the invite to both of us. It's sort of like a nice acknowledgement of our partnership.
    If you can hang out and post that in response to all of the people coming here to defend their decision to exclude SO's, that'd be great.
    Yep. Cheers to that!

• This has happened to me three times since my fiancé and I have been engaged! It's hurtful, offense and confusing...Am I invited? Is this just an invite extended to him? I feel your/your FI's pain. Worst part is, the most recent invitation came from someone my fiancé has been considering for a groomsmen, so he definitely is aware of my existence.  When will people get this right??
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards