Becoming an Officiant or Minister

My fiance and I really want to have someone that we know perform our ceremony, lets call him Friend X. But after a little research I've found that Maine does not have Justice of the Peace. They allow notaries to perform marriages, but you need to be a resident of the state to perform them. And Friend X is not a resident of Maine.

So the thought crossed our minds of what if Friend X was a minister. I found a number of places online that he could be ordained, and receive a minister's license. 

Has anyone done this? How legit is it? Are we going to run into any issues actually making our marriage legal by doing this? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards