Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Popcorn Bar instead of hot appetizer

Re: Popcorn Bar instead of hot appetizer

• AddieCake said:
    Is it really that big of a deal to provide a tray of veggies and/or cheese and crackers in case some people just don't feel like eating popcorn? If that's going to break the bank, perhaps you should re-evaluate the rest of your budget.

You should have more than one choice/type of food, period. We always advise that. Different flavors of the same thing do not count.
    That would be tacky, remember? This is a gourmet popcorn affair, Allie. Come on!
    Oh, my bad! Artisan cheese and crackers, then? I had a lovely porter-soaked cheese at a wine shop recently. lol
    ahh artisan cheese! I recently had a mango ginger stilton and some kind of cheese with a bourbon soak rind. Hmmm I think I still have some in the frig.
    The mango ginger is my favourite! It is soooo good with a Sauvignon Blanc! The same company makes a lemon zest, as well as a cranberry one!
  • Yum cheese.  I'm having feta and roasted red pepper dip as one of my appitisers.  I wanted cubed feta as well but our caterer is adding baby buffalo mozzarella instead because he said feta is an acquired taste.  Who knew?  Later in the evening we are doing more Scottish and French cheeses with chutney, biscuits, grapes etc.
    I love cheese courses!
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2016
    I love love cured meats, cheese, etc.  Basically any form of anti pasta.

For our apps we are having feta and roasted red pepper dip, garlic dip, humous, veg crudités, breadsticks, then 3 sorts of Italian cured ham/meats, baby mozzarella balls, olives, sun blush tomatoes, roasted med veg, smoked Scottish salmon with lemon wedges, crusty breads with oil and balsamic.  

So so hungry now!
  • edited April 2016
    Lol, I never said it was tacky to provide cheese and crackers... I said the amount I would be able to afford would look tacky as each person would get one cracker with cheese. Sure I love expensive cheese too, but my budget is cheese whiz not mango Stilton LMAO (YUMMMMM, BTW). I wasn't looking for validation, I don't care what strangers who aren't coming to my wedding think about it. I was explaining that is all and answering questions as they came to me. If you don't expect an answer why bother asking a question? Or were the questions meant to be rude and sarcastic? Because if so, sarcasm is often lost over the internet.

As to the question about polling my 50 guests, no but in paying attention to their habits I've seen them all eat popcorn sometime or another during our time as friends/family (whether at a bar, movies, work, party, etc). I did check with my one friend bringing a new boyfriend that I have not met to ensure he liked and could eat popcorn.

Cocktail hour will be in the same area as the reception so they will be able to sit at their seat or roam the area and participate in the entertainment if they choose. The point about being easier to carry a bag if cocktail hour is standing is a good one, since many of our activities get people up and moving.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate it.

• Quick poll, what's your favourite app?  
    Cheese....board.
  • So, I have explained this already but I will do it again. The cost of veggies and dip trays was to the point that each person would only get about 3 pieces, If anyone had too much there would not be enough for everyone, and very few people are only going to take 2-3 items and walk away. Most people would take a few of each type of veggie unless there is something specific they do not like, then normally you add more of a different type. It would not have been in my budget to provide enough veggies and dip to actually ensure everyone got something. We worked numbers every possible way, looked at every store in a 50 mile radius of the venue and all the pricing left the same conclusion. For the money I spent on popcorn I could not have fed every person veggies and dip unless someone was rationing the veggies out LOL

• So, I have explained this already but I will do it again. The cost of veggies and dip trays was to the point that each person would only get about 3 pieces, If anyone had too much there would not be enough for everyone, and very few people are only going to take 2-3 items and walk away. Most people would take a few of each type of veggie unless there is something specific they do not like, then normally you add more of a different type. It would not have been in my budget to provide enough veggies and dip to actually ensure everyone got something. We worked numbers every possible way, looked at every store in a 50 mile radius of the venue and all the pricing left the same conclusion. For the money I spent on popcorn I could not have fed every person veggies and dip unless someone was rationing the veggies out LOL
    I'm sorry, but if you can only afford to feed people popcorn, and changing to veggie and dip trays is going to burst your budget,  you can't afford your wedding. You need to fundamentally replan. Look at an afternoon cake and punch options. 
    Why in the world would I cancel the full meal in exchange for "afternoon cake and punch options because I can't afford an appetizer? This statement confuses me. I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean? We are having a super cheap cake by doing cupcakes instead, so there is no extra money I can get from that and we are serving beverages that are cheaper than punch so I don't think switching to punch is going to save money. Maybe I'm confused as to what that statement was supposed to mean?

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    So, I have explained this already but I will do it again. The cost of veggies and dip trays was to the point that each person would only get about 3 pieces, If anyone had too much there would not be enough for everyone, and very few people are only going to take 2-3 items and walk away. Most people would take a few of each type of veggie unless there is something specific they do not like, then normally you add more of a different type. It would not have been in my budget to provide enough veggies and dip to actually ensure everyone got something. We worked numbers every possible way, looked at every store in a 50 mile radius of the venue and all the pricing left the same conclusion. For the money I spent on popcorn I could not have fed every person veggies and dip unless someone was rationing the veggies out LOL
    I'm sorry, but if you can only afford to feed people popcorn, and changing to veggie and dip trays is going to burst your budget,  you can't afford your wedding. You need to fundamentally replan. Look at an afternoon cake and punch options. 
    Why in the world would I cancel the full meal in exchange for "afternoon cake and punch options because I can't afford an appetizer? This statement confuses me. I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean? We are having a super cheap cake by doing cupcakes instead, so there is no extra money I can get from that and we are serving beverages that are cheaper than punch so I don't think switching to punch is going to save money. Maybe I'm confused as to what that statement was supposed to mean?
    You have 3 pages saying why popcorn is not a good idea. If you have no contingency fund to host your guests properly by having inexpensive veggie or cracker options instead of popcorn, you planned poorly and cannot afford your event. Your dinner is too expensive if you can't host everyone for the WHOLE event. The fact is you cannot afford to host these people properly, ergo you cannot afford your event. 

• edited April 2016
    It's not like they won't be served food at all, and just because people here do not like popcorn or would want different food does not mean it's somthing that should never be done. It's your personal opinion, your opinion is not law. While I appreciate the feedback, your need to belittle me and say I can't afford a wedding simply because it's not something you would like is uncalled for.  

• I think having bowls would make it look and feel more cocktail hour. As a guest, I think I'd get confused and think it was a party favor station if there were bags. 
    Plus, when events offer cheeses and meats etc, they go on a plate and people manage to maneuver around fine while balancing their plates and drinks. 

Hopefully your guests enjoy your cocktail hour. I think I would be a little disappointed, but then again, I'm making a big emphasis on food at my own wedding as that's what I tend to remember a lot at weddings. 

Ps, Having a caracature (spelling?) artist sounds fun! 
  • My FI eats popcorn (sweet or half and half) I think my sister does??  My dad hates it.  That's all I got.
  • Oh and NO ONE is allowed to share mine.  
  • I love love love bethenny frankel's skinny girl lime and sea salt popcorn (sounds strange but is so good!) but would never eat something that will get stuck in my teeth when I'm spending thousands on photography.

• ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2016
    lnixon8 said:
    I love love love bethenny frankel's skinny girl lime and sea salt popcorn (sounds strange but is so good!) but would never eat something that will get stuck in my teeth when I'm spending thousands on photography.
    Silly girl, just designate one of your bridal party to be the chief teeth cleaner.  (But not the one in charge of helping you pee as you will want to honour more than one girl.)
    Problem solved and you're welcome!

• Look, I love popcorn when I'm at a bar or a brewery drinking beer. It's great. Would love it during a cocktail hour as well. However, when looking at your serving size per guest, it's not enough. Have you measured out what 2.5 cups of popcorn looks like? It'll be gone fast. I really, truly do not understand how you could not afford chips, salsa or dip and pretzels, in addition to the popcorn, for 50 guests. I had passed apps and a giant cheese and fruit board for like $200 for 54 guests and it was awesome. Seriously, sell some stuff you own and put that money into providing at least a couple of other options for your guests, and for yourself! Let me tell you, I was starving after my ceremony and housed the apps we had during cocktail hour (the few minutes of it that I got to enjoy after pictures). 
  • OP, I love popcorn, but would find it bizarre as the only appetizer option during a cocktail hour. I would also be hesitant about eating popcorn dyed to match a wedding palette, as I would not find it the least bit appetizing.

Also, I echo PPs in suggesting you at add least one other appetizer option. I have a high metabolism, so after eating lunch I would be starving by the time cocktail hour started - and would definitely want something with a little substance to accompany my cocktail (cheese is pretty budget-friendly).
  • Look, I love popcorn when I'm at a bar or a brewery drinking beer. It's great. Would love it during a cocktail hour as well. However, when looking at your serving size per guest, it's not enough. Have you measured out what 2.5 cups of popcorn looks like? It'll be gone fast. I really, truly do not understand how you could not afford chips, salsa or dip and pretzels, in addition to the popcorn, for 50 guests. I had passed apps and a giant cheese and fruit board for like $200 for 54 guests and it was awesome. Seriously, sell some stuff you own and put that money into providing at least a couple of other options for your guests, and for yourself! Let me tell you, I was starving after my ceremony and housed the apps we had during cocktail hour (the few minutes of it that I got to enjoy after pictures). 

But it's GOURMET!!!  What part of GOURMET do you not understand?!?!? 

Btw - to bring it up to equal one portion of popcorn, OP'd double her appetizer budget and that'd mean cutting something else - and Drawings people!

... and my favorite app...  I'd say someplace between Bruchetta and "Protein Platter" (i.e. meats, cheeses, hot or cold, prepared a variety of ways) oh - and fried wings, can't forget the wings... or potato skins - those are always yummy too!

• I love wings but hell no am I eating them after pro make up!  
  • To be fair the caricaturist is not costing the OP anything, it's a family member or similar.  
  • @PrettyGirlLost, this is the same person who didn't get having the bartender flip a switch on a coffee urn vs. bringing in a cash food (coffee?) truck to provide fancy coffee for her guests to have with dessert.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards