Chit Chat

April Fool Joke

Not impressed.

My cousin posted that she got married in Vegas to her FI (they are actually in Vegas at the moment). Everyone was congratulating her. I texted her because my Dad said it was likely a prank and I find out that it totally was. I mentioned that I found it insensitive and she agreed to disagree. She let it run on FB for the majority of the day, racking up tons of congrats and well wishes.

I find it cheap and it really rubs me the wrong way. I see marriage as this important ceremony and not something to make a joke of. Not to mention, there are people that cannot get married due to laws in their country that I am quite certain wouldn't appreciate a joke being made of marriage.

Am I overreacting?

Re: April Fool Joke

• You're not overreacting. It's insensitive and really immature. She's a bloody ragret! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree. You shouldn't make a joke about certain things. I find most April Fools jokes about X happened to be lame and uncreative. You want to April Fool's? Pull a clever prank that takes some effort. Don't pretend something happened. Yawn.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree, I don't think making a "joke" about any serious life event or commitment is funny. Seriously, how is saying, "We got married!"...."Just kidding!", funny? OK...... it's kind of sad.

Same with the pregnancy announcement. I think particularly a person plays it on their spouse- that person probably got their spouse's hopes up, and then takes that away. Not funny.
  • Not everyone will see the update, and probably side-eye her real marriage announcement in a few months or whenever - so the joke's on her!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• @luckya23 - agree. She told me they are at least 2 years away from getting married. I'm not sure what they are waiting for.
  • I'm not a fan of any April Fools joke that could be real that goes for more than 20 seconds.   And the dawn of social media makes these the suck.   
  • I saw an April Fools pregnancy joke yesterday and it really passed me off.  They have 5 kids (4 biological, 1 adopted).   So incredibly unnecessary.
  • ernursej said:
    @luckya23 - agree. She told me they are at least 2 years away from getting married. I'm not sure what they are waiting for.
    BF and I have been together for 5 years and we're waiting until we're ready. Some couples  feel ready sooner than others, nothing wrong with either of those. 

And yes, the "joke" is tacky.

• Very tacky. I also despise fake pregnancy announcements. They are so insensitive.

SO's dentist was going to put up a flyer announcing they were going to start offering teeth whitening treatments for pets, but then they decided against it, because they knew they'd get at least one call about it, and they didn't want to deal with explaining the joke. 

SO and I have also been together for 3 years, and we'll probably be together another year or two before we get married. Everyone always questions that. I don't feel comfortable asking him to completely support us while I am in school and cannot work in a way that would be very helpful. We could make it work if we needed to, but that's our decision. 

• Sorry, I was rude by saying that I don't understand why they were waiting for so long to get married. In my family once you get engaged, you get married within the year but I know that is not everyone's situation or for me to judge. 

I think I was just very put off by the announcement since it was rude in my opinion and was seeing red about everything to do with my cousin.  
  • @ernursej no worries.  That was pretty tacky of your cousin to do.  People were probably very excited for them, and it's pretty rude to play on good wishes like that.  

On a lighter note, SO's dentist was going to put up a flyer in the office advertising teeth whitening services for pets.  They decided against it though, because they knew they'd get at least one call about it, and then they'd have to explain it was just a joke.  

• levioosa said:
    @ernursej no worries.  That was pretty tacky of your cousin to do.  People were probably very excited for them, and it's pretty rude to play on good wishes like that.  

On a lighter note, SO's dentist was going to put up a flyer in the office advertising teeth whitening services for pets.  They decided against it though, because they knew they'd get at least one call about it, and then they'd have to explain it was just a joke.  
    @levioosa that is hilarious!

Did anyone see the story about the drug-sniffing rabbit?
  • levioosa said:
    @ernursej no worries.  That was pretty tacky of your cousin to do.  People were probably very excited for them, and it's pretty rude to play on good wishes like that.  

@levioosa that is hilarious!

Did anyone see the story about the drug-sniffing rabbit?
    I saw one about drug sniffing Guinea pigs that a local police force put out. It was really cute. Those are the jokes I can get behind. 
  • ernursej said:
    Sorry, I was rude by saying that I don't understand why they were waiting for so long to get married. In my family once you get engaged, you get married within the year but I know that everyone's situation or for me to judge. 

I think I was just very put off by the announcement since it was rude in my opinion and was seeing red about everything to do with my cousin.  
    @ernursej I can absolutely see where you're coming from with this post. It hit a nerve with me because I'm tired of having to answer "the question".

• Is it true that Gwen Stefani did a pregnancy April Fool's joke? I didn't read the article, just skimmed some comments on a fb article, and the responses sounded like they were disappointed in her regarding a pregnancy announcement (sometimes the comments are the best).  If that's true then I can dislike her for her voice AND choices of April Fool's Jokes.

• @CharmedPam Yes she did. Posted an ultrasound on Instagram and said it was a girl. Apparently, it was retaliation to a magazine reporting she was pregnant?

• ah, yes, now I see those comments on the side-eye thread.  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards