Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hump Day

Re: Hump Day

• Options
    @jenna8984 - I pronounce it "lee".  My friend named her baby Eveleigh, and it's pronounced "Eveh-lee".
  • Options
    PamBeesly524PamBeesly524 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    @jenna8984 my middle name is actually Leigh and I pronounce it "Lee".
  • Options
    @jenna8984 - I would say "lee" not "lay".

• Options
    @jenna8984 - I read it as "lay". 

@beahcy0ne15 - Grilling is awesome...if it wasn't like 30 degrees out right now, I would grill tonight.  

@eilis1228 - Ha!  I wish, "I'm sick" never cuts it.  Whatever.  Work can wait if it has to until Sunday when I get home from the NEY get together.  I feel like I'm getting slammed on purpose at this point because I'm about to go out on maternity leave...like its a big fucking burden for me to take largely UNPAID government mandated time.  I hope the mechanic doesn't hit your wallet too hard today.

@cu97tiger - Seriously, you rock for still Cross fitting with your back.  Well, you rock in life generally too...your mentee is one lucky duck!
  • Options
    @jenna8984 Reasoning for me saying it as "Lay"... "i before e, except after c, or when sounding like A, as in neighbor and weigh."

• Options
    Y'all, I can't even with this mini Rey and Kylo.

• Options
    Random question: I get raging headaches after drinking some kinds of wine. Last night I decided to crack open a bottle of Shiraz and I only had a half glass. Not even enough to feel a buzz. Woke up with an absolutely raging headache. This happens regularly when I drink wine. Does anyone have ideas on how to keep this from happening? I want my dang glass of wine headache free!!

• Options
    @wink0erin - That is a huge tragedy.  It might have something to do with the sulfates in the wine.  A friend of mine can drink white, but not red--red gives her vicious headaches.  Whatever it is, I hope you figure it out because wine = life.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @wink0erin  I'm already down the rabbit hole ;)
    Also I have the wine issue with red wine - rose or white, fine. Red and I've got a headache before I finish the glass :\

@jenna8984 I've always pronounced "Leigh" and "lay" but a fb friend of mine has a daughter named "Ryleigh" pronounced Riley - "lee" - so I think it depends on the name.
    And oh good! I think we'll have to put at least one squirrel up because of a family inside joke :P 
  • Options
    @wink0erin That's how I feel! I can deduct from the name used that you want you kid to be called Riley, or Everley and I'll call them that, but by the rules of English it's not right lol.

• Options
    @jenna8984 @wink0erin - What about Raleigh? 

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    @jenna8984 @wink0erin - What about Raleigh? 
    Ra-lay - like sleigh
  • Options
    What do I know, I still say NEY is pronounced... knee
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    What do I know, I still say NEY is pronounced... knee
    Yep.  This is how I say it too.

EDITED because I forgot the most important part of this post:  "We are the knights who say NEY!" (Bad Monty Python pun, sorry.)

And my sister and her family live in Durham, right next to Raleigh...and I've never heard anyone around there say "Rah-lay".  I've always hear "Rah-lee."
  • Options
    OMG someone else says knee!?!!? After everyone shunned me?!?! @futuremrshistorian thank you for not making me feel like a mutant freak!
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 - I must have missed the NEY pronunciation conversation.  Whoops.  :-) 
  • Options
    @Swazzle English is freakin weird.

I have friends in Raleigh and we often will call it "raw-lay" with emphasis on the "lay" and a little bit of spitting involved at the end... like when saying "hannukkah." hahahaha. But in normal convo I call it "raw-lee" although the ending isn't a harsh "EEEE" sound if that makes any sense. 

Example of dialect and English weirdness, there is a town in my state spelled "Hurricane." If someone calls it "hurr-ih-cane" like the storm we correct them, because EVERYONE pronounces it "Hurr-eh-ken." My county is spelled "Kanawha" (so is the river running through it... and a ton of different roads and businesses) and one of my favorite things is hearing people from out of town try to pronounce it or turning on GPS and laughing my ass off at the butchering. 

• Options
    wink0erin said:
    @Swazzle English is freakin weird.

I have friends in Raleigh and we often will call it "raw-lay" with emphasis on the "lay" and a little bit of spitting involved at the end... like when saying "hannukkah." hahahaha. But in normal convo I call it "raw-lee" although the ending isn't a harsh "EEEE" sound if that makes any sense. 

Example of dialect and English weirdness, there is a town in my state spelled "Hurricane." If someone calls it "hurr-ih-cane" like the storm we correct them, because EVERYONE pronounces it "Hurr-eh-ken." My county is spelled "Kanawha" (so is the river running through it... and a ton of different roads and businesses) and one of my favorite things is hearing people from out of town try to pronounce it or turning on GPS and laughing my ass off at the butchering. 
    RE: the bolded.  In Oklahoma, where I'm from, there's a town named "Miami."  But you had best believe it's pronounced "Miam-uh."
  • Options
    wink0erin said:
    I call NEY "neigh."

OMG! #winning @labro and I always called it Neigh too lol. 

• Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    The fun part about names is you can say they're pronounced however you want and people will eventually catch on to the preferred pronunciation, but the first time they read and say it it'll probably be "wrong." I think there was a blog or a community post about that somewhere once.

I, for one, look forward to when people start naming their kids random symbols. 

• Options
    @wink0erin haha I agree- names of places are usually so bizarre and don't fit the rules. Quincy, Mass. People there die if you call it quin-cee (like the man's name) because it's really quin-zee.

• Options
    Same with Paoli, @futuremrshistorian.  Pronounced "Pay-oh-luh" and you better get it right or you get the side-eye.  Haha!
  • Options
    There's a Newark in New Jersey and a Newark in Delaware and they're pronounced differently. 

NewERK, NJ
    NewARK, DE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards