Chit Chat
Options

Superga vs. Sperry

vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited April 2016 in Chit Chat
I have a very pressing Monday question.  I need a casual pair of shoes to wear on weekends in the summer.  I can't decide between a pair of Supergas and Sperrys and certainly wouldn't need both. I've worn Sperrys relatively recently and had a pair of Supergas about 20 years ago.  Which do you think would be the best looking and most versatile?

I'm considering these Supergas in sea blue:
http://www.amazon.com/Superga-2750-Classic-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B015GIBCK2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1460399685&sr=1-1&nodeID=7147440011&keywords=women's+superga

These Supergas in light grey:
http://www.amazon.com/Superga-2750-Fashion-Sneaker-Sienna/dp/B017729090/ref=sr_1_7?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1460399685&sr=1-7&nodeID=7147440011&keywords=women's+superga

These Sperrys:
http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Top-Sider-Womens-Authentic-Original/dp/B00DSQUL5W/ref=sr_1_11?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1460399868&sr=1-11&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=women's+sperry+boat+shoe

(also the grey/yellow)

Re: Superga vs. Sperry

• Options
    Personally, I am a big fan of Sperry Top Siders. The Supergas are kind of boring-looking. But maybe if you're looking for something plain, then the Supergas make sense.

Now I want to get myself some Top Siders!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a Sperry girl.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Another vote for Sperrys here. They are definitely more versatile than the Supergas, and more fun.
  • Options
    Another vote for the Sperrys. I love mine.

• Options
    Love the Sperrys!
  • Options
    Sperry is my pick.

• Options
    I'm going to take a dissenting opinion from the above. 
    a) I think the Supergas shoes are more versatile than Sperrys. Although I love the look of Sperrys, it's the biggest reason I haven't bought any- it's such a specific look and I prefer things that will go with the vast majority of my clothes. But then, I have a very plain and functional sense of style. I pretty much live in black ballet flats.

b) I once heard someone sniff that boat shoes when not on a boat was a fashion faux-pas. Not like I care, but Sperrys have been very trendy for the last few years and who knows how long the trend will last. That's part of the reason I dress so plainly, but at least where I live, the Sperry trend seems to be dying out. 

My vote for Sperry would be that the seem so damn comfortable! 

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The colour you picked is definitely bold, but that choice is up to you. I have a pair of boat shoes that are navy- I wear them all the time with jeans, shorts, cargo pants, etc.

I do like both shoes, but I vote Sperry. Being made with leather, they will conform to your feet and are oh so comfortable! I also love that they are slip on while still looking "put together".
  • Options
    a) I think the Supergas shoes are more versatile than Sperrys. Although I love the look of Sperrys, it's the biggest reason I haven't bought any- it's such a specific look and I prefer things that will go with the vast majority of my clothes. But then, I have a very plain and functional sense of style. I pretty much live in black ballet flats.

b) I once heard someone sniff that boat shoes when not on a boat was a fashion faux-pas. Not like I care, but Sperrys have been very trendy for the last few years and who knows how long the trend will last. That's part of the reason I dress so plainly, but at least where I live, the Sperry trend seems to be dying out. 

I think it depends on here you live. In Annapolis sperrys are preppy staples and have been (Maybe its because we're close to the water so you could be headed to or just got off a boat?). My parents wore them when I was little, I wore them as a kid, teen and now.

• Options
    ahoyweddingahoywedding member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    Sperry! I am nowhere near a fashion authority but I wear mine with everything (dresses, jeans, shorts). I love, love that coral color but then I also give zero shits about matching and love bold colors.

ETA: PPs are right, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Margaritaville tennies are a close second though.
  • Options

Personally I like the supergas. I think they "go" with basically everything and the sperrys look pretty specific to me.

But my personal style is 0% "nautical" so that's just me.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    banana468 said:
    I live in a coastal CT town so I'm biased but I'm going to say Sperry too.   I love my sparkle ones that are clearly more fashion than function.   But as we ease into the warmer weather, I love the look.

Then again, I also love the look of DH in his Nantucket red khaki shorts and white or navy polos.   When we were in Ohio my BIL told me that we looked really "New England".   Well.....duh dude. 
    That was a compliment, right?

I vote Sperry. They are classic. And I love the bold color.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I live in a coastal CT town so I'm biased but I'm going to say Sperry too.   I love my sparkle ones that are clearly more fashion than function.   But as we ease into the warmer weather, I love the look.

Then again, I also love the look of DH in his Nantucket red khaki shorts and white or navy polos.   When we were in Ohio my BIL told me that we looked really "New England".   Well.....duh dude. 
    That was a compliment, right?

I vote Sperry. They are classic. And I love the bold color.
    I would take is a compliment!

Remember how bradley cooper dressed in wedding crashers? I thought I was less preppy than most of my friends because I think they played up the bright colors/madras to make him look like more of a d-bag... but then H wore a seersucker suit in his sisters wedding and surprised me with how much I liked that look!

• Options

I agree that the Supergas are more versatile.  In New England Sperrys are essentially standard uniform, so it's also a question of how original I want to look. 

I appreciate the input from all of you!  I'm now leaning toward the coral Sperrys. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards