Chit Chat

Work Rant

Hello! It has been awhile since I last posted. I am having a difficult time at work the past two days and am at a lost for what to do.

I work as an English teacher at a Japanese preschool. My class last year was phenomenal. I started 1/2 way through the school year and... well, they made me love every day of my job.

There are several classes at my school. Level 1 (2-3 year olds), Level 2 (3-4 year olds), Level 3 (4-5 year olds) and Level 4 (5-6 year olds). According to the law, I can only have 22 3 year olds in my class. This means, that they had to put Level 2 into Class A and Class B. I am Class A. My class has 15 students. 9 of those students are brand new to the preschool and have never attended school in their life. Class B has 14 students, 2 of which are brand new to the school, and the rest are from the Level 1 class. The Level 1 class learns basic English phrases, Basic Colors, and Counting 1-10.

So, here I am with more students than the other teacher, and almost all of the new students. I only speak a little Japanese, so it is difficult to communicate with the children anyways. I was a bit annoyed, and asked the principal if it would be possible to move the students around so that both Class A and Class B had new students. But, she said to wait and see how the first week went. The first day was yesterday. It was awful.

And, yes... it was the first day, so I figured that they were just excited or nervous or some other feeling. And I completely understand that it is frustrating to have someone understand only about half of what you say. So, I went home. Grabbed a rum and coke and sat down to work on a game plan to make today a better day. It worked... mostly.

14/15 of my class did much better today. I got them to all sit down, and I gave a quick lesson on the classroom rules, following directions, the consequences of breaking the rules, etc. But... I have this one boy... and we are just not clicking.

He cusses at me and calls me an idiot whenever I try to get him to do anything. He runs out of the classroom and up to the second floor (dangerous to go upstairs by himself). He runs outside when no one is outdoor. He chucks toys and other kids (hit two people in the head today). The vibe I'm getting is that he is very spoiled and attention-seeking.

I've sat down with a translator and explained to him, calmly, why what he is doing is dangerous and why he is getting a time out. We explained what a time out meant, and what would happen if he continued to behave badly. First, he has three time outs with me. Then, he has three time outs with the vice principal. And then, we will call his parents. He said he understood. Yesterday, this didn't work. Today, I sat with him again and we explained everything. I made him a private behavior sheet. To show him, where he was. So that way, he has a way to recognize which step he is on for his behavior. His behavior was just as bad as it was yesterday. We called his parents yesterday and today, to try and figure out a game plan to make his transition into preschool easier.

I feel as if we just don't click. I want to swap one student with Class B. Class B had a mother complain because she doesn't like the teacher. So, I want to switch that student with the student that I am having trouble with. That way, my student goes into a class that has already had a year of preschool and is more focused and then I'll take the Class B student and have her help with the new students in my class. I mentioned this to the vice-principal and she said it was too difficult and that the boy's mother might be mad if we switch him (Even though the principal said to wait to see how the first week went to switch students around).

I'm a bit stuck on what to do with him. What do I do with this new student? Should I try to swap him into the other class? I feel bad wanting to swap him, but I also think that the more advanced class where the kids already know how to do everything, would be better for him... *sigh*

Suggestions?

Re: Work Rant

• It's unfair to give up on anyone of any age after 2 days.  You should feel terrible about asking to move him to a different class.  Personalities clash.  It happens.  Honestly, as a teacher, I'd be embarrassed to admit I couldn't handle my students, language barrier or not.  It sounds like most of your colleagues already know you have an issue with this student, and it's not even the end of the first week.  And it's possible I'm giving a 3yo far too much credit, but he probably knows he's in control of the situation.

This isn't a classroom assignment issue, and it isn't a student issue, either.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• You're teaching three year olds. It's completely unacceptable to give up on one of them after 2 days. I think
    you need to stop focusing on what you see as unfairness in a classroom assignment altogether. 
    I am not giving up on this student. I want him to enjoy coming to school and I don't know if I can give him the best experience if I have 9 other brand new kids in my class that need extra attention also. I do not have an assistant teacher in my class. It is only one teacher. I can't focus solely on him and leave the other students to suffer because I have to frequently leave the class, unattended, while I follow him around the school. I don't have locks on my door to keep him in and the we are not allowed to lock the entrances to the school.
  • It's unfair to give up on anyone of any age after 2 days.  You should feel terrible about asking to move him to a different class.  Personalities clash.  It happens.  Honestly, as a teacher, I'd be embarrassed to admit I couldn't handle my students, language barrier or not.  It sounds like most of your colleagues already know you have an issue with this student, and it's not even the end of the first week.  And it's possible I'm giving a 3yo far too much credit, but he probably knows he's in control of the situation.

And I do feel bad about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep this student in the class or could you share techniques on getting through to a student? I am encouraging him to make friends in the class and try to keep him busy so that he doesn't attempt to run. I acknowledge anything he does well. Praise him for eating his food, praise him for playing nice, praise him for picking up toys, etc. Lots of high fives and lots of positive reinforcement on the behaviors I want him to continue.
  • @jacques27 I am trying to seek advice. The advice I have access to here is very limited. There are very few foreign teachers, and even fewer that teach my age group. I was hoping to reach out to some teachers on here, and get advice on techniques. I know not all kids are perfect. I know that teaching is difficult. I want to make sure I am doing what is best for him.

Do you have any techniques you could suggest? Everything I have read or heard people discuss is how important it is for ESL children to get into a routine. I am attempting to do that. I don't expect students to get into a routine right away of course! With my last class it took about a month, but they had been in school for five months already. I expect it will take longer with this new class. I will continue with positive reinforcement on every good behavior he displays. Did you use time outs? Or is there another technique you used when students became aggressive?

And I do feel bad about it. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep this student in the class or could you share techniques on getting through to a student? I am encouraging him to make friends in the class and try to keep him busy so that he doesn't attempt to run. I acknowledge anything he does well. Praise him for eating his food, praise him for playing nice, praise him for picking up toys, etc. Lots of high fives and lots of positive reinforcement on the behaviors I want him to continue.
    Yeah my suggestion is to give all of that more than 2 days to work. These are all good strategies but they take time. Talk to your principal again. Not about moving him or changing your assignment but about what steps the principal wants you to take to keep him safe with regards to the running away. 
  • psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    Written language is translated; spoken language is interpreted. 

It has only been two days. There's no way you've utilized all of the tools available to you to help in this situation. Have you spoken with the students parents to see what they do when he is unruly?  How about your colleagues and boss?  

FI is a teacher and he says the problem with having exceptional classes is that they raise the bar and the teacher can be left feeling defeated when the following class doesn't meet those expectations. Lower the bar and be creative with the kid. You don't become a teacher to make your day about what's best for you, and dismissing a 3 year old after 2 days can't possibly be good for a kid. 
    I believe your FI is right. I thought I was ready for all of my new kids and then felt disappointed and inadequate when I wasn't.

Discipline in Japan usually goes one of two ways. Either borderline abusive or completely ignoring the behavior. Of course, there are people that sit in the middle, but most of Japan (or at least my area) is still very old school when it comes to discipline. Either way, it is not acceptable to discuss how a child is treated at home. Last year, I had an issue with a child who was on the abusive side. But, child services refused to get involved because I was a foreigner and "I don't understand the Japanese way".

As far as my co-workers, they suggested moving him to the other class because there were less new students.
  • psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    Thank you for the suggestions. I probably should look for a teaching forum, but I couldn't find anything that seemed to be visited frequently. I wanted to reach out and figure something out for at least this week and this was the first thing that popped into mind. This weekend, I will research forums more specific to teaching.
  • I work with behavior discipline students and know how it can be. Have you stressed to the administration that this child is a "runner". Schools I have worked in have given more support when a child is leaving the classroom and you have to leave the others unattended. Document his behavior and your methods of handling him so you can show admin the methods you have tried and ask advice on what else you can do. Good luck.
  • @debbeau Thank you. I will try to work with this. As for getting support... It is highly unlikely that it will happen. But, documenting it a good idea and when the principal visits next month, I have something to show her if the behavior continues or gets worse.
  • Time outs don't work all that well with 3 year olds. Or any age for that matter. When you were sent up to your room did you come back refreshed and apologetic? I came out worse then when I went in almost 100% of the time.

Give him something to do to calm him down then talk to him. Sit him down separate from the other children and tell him " I need you to complete this puzzle. When you are done we are going to talk". Not sure how this will work with a translator but you should have him put his energy into something else.

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016
    I'm not a teacher, but I do have a 2-1/2 year old in preschool (and an almost 7 y.o. who has been through that stage), so take this for what it's worth:
    • I agree with everyone that 2 days is incredibly premature to throw up your hands and try to transfer him
    • From an outside perspective, your post sounds pretty hung up on the "unfairness" of the class assignments, which may be influencing your feelings
    • Is it possible that you're inadvertently scapegoating this kid with your frustration over the situation as a whole?
    • I don't suppose your school is NAEYC-accredited?  (I don't think this extends outside of the US, but I may be wrong.)  They have some great online forums for teachers, but I believe you have to be a member.  If not, I do think seeking out something similar would be helpful.
    • In general, there is a Gandhi quote that I fall back on whenever I am overwhelmed at work and/or get a project that I am completely at a loss about:

httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom236x0f4ccd0f4ccdde5c86dd6ca928a552ac267cf0jpg

So don't give up on this kid, and by extension, your ability to teach him and control your classroom.  Believe that you can do it, behave as though you can, and odds are by the end of the term, you'll find that a) you were right, and b) you're a better teacher for it.

• lnixon8 said:
    Time outs don't work all that well with 3 year olds. Or any age for that matter. When you were sent up to your room did you come back refreshed and apologetic? I came out worse then when I went in almost 100% of the time.

Give him something to do to calm him down then talk to him. Sit him down separate from the other children and tell him " I need you to complete this puzzle. When you are done we are going to talk". Not sure how this will work with a translator but you should have him put his energy into something else.
    I agree that time outs in and of themselves are not great as punishments, but they are invaluable when either the kid is so wound up that he/she can't behave rationally and/or as an adult, you are about to lose your shit.  In those cases, I can't recommend them enough.
  • Heffalump said:
    lnixon8 said:
    Time outs don't work all that well with 3 year olds. Or any age for that matter. When you were sent up to your room did you come back refreshed and apologetic? I came out worse then when I went in almost 100% of the time.

I agree that time outs in and of themselves are not great as punishments, but they are invaluable when either the kid is so wound up that he/she can't behave rationally and/or as an adult, you are about to lose your shit.  In those cases, I can't recommend them enough.
    Hmmm... maybe I'll have to figure something out. Time outs have worked with other students, but I don't have a translator 95% of the time. I can get my point across.  For example: Do you remember the classroom chant? No hitting, no biting, no kicking. Play nice. Listen to the teacher. Do you think that throwing a toy at x was playing nice?

I then move on to a short time out, based on age and experience in the classroom (one minute for every year). And then verify with the child that they are not bad, it was just the behavior that was bad. (You are a good boy/girl. But, we need to make sure to play nice. Do your best, okay?

It worked wonders last year with one boy I had. But, different kids, different techniques.
  • Heffalump said:
    lnixon8 said:

100% agree. I think its great when exhausted parents can put their child in a room and shut the door if it means a five minute break and the child is safe. But there are 6 timeouts (3 with her, 3 with VP) that are not working.She says the child is attention-seeking (which...duh. he is 3) but all these are doing is giving the child negative attention.
    I'm just not a fan of (in a school setting) a kid just watching other kids participate while they just sit there. That's why I suggested something like a puzzle that they can concentrate on.

• It will definetely take more time. In the school district I work in, most K students come in only speaking/understanding Spanish (95% of our teachers are only English speaking), and for most of the kids, they had no preschool experience. Combine that with full day K, and the first 2 months are just survival. Then we hit fall break, and the week off school makes it seem like all progress was lost. But by Christmas, I would say it's def better. 

I would certainly talk about the runner situation. Can you get a walkie talkie with someone so that if someone runs out, admin can help look for him. That's what we have at my school. I cannot leave my class unattended. So I would stick it out with the kid, but work on that angle to get some support. 

You  said you had implemented an individual plan with him..is it something tangible that he can see? A sticker chart, for every 15 minutes for example? When he gets so many, he earns a small reward - line leader, pick the book, etc. But it has to start with very small increments of time. 
  • Cgss11 great suggestions. My kindergarteners love the reward of being helper. 
  • I have several friends that teach kindergarten (4/5/6 year olds ... depending on birthdates) and most of them have a relax station for those kids that are just over excited/over stimulated/over anything. The station has noise cancelling headphones, soft cuddle toys, picture books and colouring supplies. This might be something to try.

I also like the reward chart idea.

• In addition to looking for teacher focused message boards, what about reaching out to your teacher training classmates or professors? Although most of them are probably not in Japan, they've probably all had to deal with kids that don't immediately follow the rules. They should be a good resource to help with ideas.
  • I have a challenging student in my room. It seems like there's always one. Haha. have a little note on my desk to remind me the kids who need the most love ask for it in the most unloving way. :smiley: 
    I do an individualized behavior chart for my student. I have the day broken down into very small pieces and he can earn a smiley face, straight face, or frown face. He earns a minute of computer time (or Lego time depending on his mood) for each smiley face. It has been effective for him. I also make a copy and send them home so they can track behavior. I think the key is finding an incentive that works for the student. 
    We also take sensory breaks. We leave the room and go for a walk. I usually ask him to do a job for me like carry some papers to the office. It gives him a chance to reset from the classroom. I hope this helps! 
  • Not all three year olds are necessarily ready for a formal school setting, IMO. I feel like you should be getting a lot more support from the school administration with such a disruptive student. It's no fair to the 14 other kids if you have to spend all your time wrangling the one.

What is your discipline setup like in general? When I have subbed and tutored (okay, for elementary/middle, so a little different) there have been various systems already in place. One that sticks out that most of the children seemed willing to abide by was a visual sort of behavior thermometer, where the kids were represented by clothespins with their names that were clipped at the point where they were at (i.e. green for good/excellent, yellow for the first instance of misbehavior, orange, red--which would result in a visit to the principal). That way the kids actually held each other responsible for behaving because they didn't want them getting in trouble.
  • Thank you for all the advice! Things got pretty hectic in my area with all the earthquakes. We luckily had no damage in our city.

I found a website for ESL teachers and will be posting more questions there. Unfortunately, there is no training for my job. I graduated with a degree in General Psychology and then got this job. My previous experience is the summer camp I worked at for kids 3-9. So, no professors or friends to call for advice :disappointed: 

As for the little boy. I ended up getting a lock put on one door, and am in the middle of discussions for a second lock so that I can keep him in the room. For the time being, I have a large shelf on wheels I moved in front of the other door. We had a minor incident on Thursday, which resulted in the vice-principal calling his parents.

There is a huge lack of support from the principal and vice-principal at my job. But, from what I've learned these past 7 months, that is not uncommon in any teaching job out here.

As for the reward system, I stocked up on stickers. All the kids get one on their chart for using the toilet, eating half their lunch, and if I see anyone doing something really nice.

Also, I started using one student who is in my class for a second year to show him what he is missing out on (She was technically too young for my class last year, so she is staying in my class a second year). Two students get to take the notebooks to the vice-principal every morning. And, the little boy was angry when I wouldn't let him do it. So, we discussed how he would be able to do it if he was nice to all of his new classmates and listened to the teacher. Maybe we will have a better time next week with him.
  • I'm confused about the multiple time-outs before parents get called. This child hit other students in the head, and he gets 6 time-outs before parents are called? 

I teach high school, so I'm afraid I don't have any advice for disciplining a class of young children, but I agree switching him out of class should never be your first instinct or go-to solution. Best of luck; I hope you figure something out soon!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Glad to hear you are safe and well @psychbabe314

It sucks you do not seem to have much support in this job, and please correct me if I am wrong, were also not formally trained as a teacher. Looks like a big learning curve for you, but you have gotten good advice and sounds like you've made progress already in your classroom!

Keep it up and best of luck!
  • AddieCake said:
    I'm confused about the multiple time-outs before parents get called. This child hit other students in the head, and he gets 6 time-outs before parents are called? 

I teach high school, so I'm afraid I don't have any advice for disciplining a class of young children, but I agree switching him out of class should never be your first instinct or go-to solution. Best of luck; I hope you figure something out soon!
    Yep... It is just part of the Japanese culture. They wouldn't want to offend the parents of the kids, so it is a last resort.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards